CO/UT trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally off-loaded the Gecko today! Let the repairs begin.
PS pump
Alternator
Front leaves, or at least the shackle-side bushings replaced
Convince Yukon to make me a competition Zip Locker for my Toyota 8" like they do for the Dana 60
Cut out bed floor and redesign to lower CG
Replace t-case rear output seal
Install new RCV
Replace rear axle housing diff "cover" with 8" pipe cap and 2" fill port
Build trans tunnel
Add forced ventilation to underbelly
Fit air shocks to add some lift to clear the LTB's

There's a laundry list like this for the semi too, but I'll spare you all the reading.

That's what I was wondering. Unless it's a state by state thing, either you paid 50% tax on parts, or you paid tax on labor, which, as Ted indicated, is not kosher.

And I'm pretty sure that if you add that bill, the bill for the heads, and the cost of the tires, you'd just about have the same number that I paid for my semi. Not rubbing it in, jus' sayin'.

Man thats tough....$$ I've been reading through one site that talks about using Class 8 truck (semi) to haul 5th wheels mainly and you could adapt to goose neck rather easy and depending on how crazy...even a receiver type hitch. Of course with a class 8 setup you would never really stress the brakes or towing capacity ever...on stuff like we deal with and even the large camper trailers...etc. 5th wheel campers...some of which were north of 25K empty. This one web site mainly deals in Volvo's, which seem to be nice and have a clean cab/sleeper layout.

have some nice auto transmissions out to.... volvo has one called I shift or something like that the web site brags on and from video it seems rather nice. I assume they still make the auto-select and auto-shift and potentially various others out in the market.

Of course not everyone can park or work on a semi....so that an obvious issue and with respect to campgrounds...It might be challenge to get a truck like that in some of those spaces. Basically they take a used volvo...setup it up for single rear axle and modify the frame and use an aftermarket 5th wheel setup that sits between the frame at the far rear, and or building a bed to sit on the rear frame too.

Install new RCV

you get the broken piece out yet? Wondering how you're gonna do that given the break location of the shaft.

Of course not everyone can park or work on a semi....so that an obvious issue and with respect to campgrounds...It might be challenge to get a truck like that in some of those spaces. Basically they take a used volvo...setup it up for single rear axle and modify the frame and use an aftermarket 5th wheel setup that sits between the frame at the far rear, and or building a bed to sit on the rear frame too.
It certainly has it's drawbacks due to size. As with most everything, it's a give & take relationship. Gotta give up something in one area to gain something in another.

If anyone wants a project, I have a single-axle, sleeper cab Volvo back in Memphis. If I ever win the lotto I plan to make it electric.

you get the broken piece out yet? Wondering how you're gonna do that given the break location of the shaft.
From the time I picked up the stub shaft to the time the complete assembly was ready to reinstall was about three minutes. 80% of that time was finding the right sized tool to get the snap ring out (which ended up being very easy too). Once the snap ring was out of the way, a light tap on the workbench was all it took and the small broken piece fell right out. The new shaft slid and clipped in place like nothing ever happened.

2004, LB7 engine. 145,000 miles on the odometer.

I know you own it and have invested in it....but to restate some advice I was given....don't go older than 07 on dmax truck, this was from some guys I use to work with back in the 80's who do all the heavy line work in local GM shop...dmax's included (30+ yrs in the goodwrench game) Apparently some of the 06-05 trucks were problem children. I nearly bought an 05 one time on a good deal...but backed out when I checked in with my friends. Just sharing what I've been told. Sometimes problems that are engineered in...cannot be solved (engineered out)...

I'm debating on getting a crew cab..pickup.....the mental debate I have is dmax or gas....(not towing heavy) but want some room to grow if I want to get a goose-neck trailer at some point and I only want to buy one more truck...at least for now...not that I want to buy another but I don't want to buy one thing and find out that I should have taken the other path.

Good luck with the truck..but ask around and make sure you don't chase your @$$ on some of the fixes on a 05.

Henry don't know what is done to your truck but here are some things to help. Obviously you need an aftermarket lift pump to keep the fuel pressure up. Get an auxiliary fuel filter setup between the stocker and the injection pump. I can't remember off the top of my head buy there are 2 different ways they measure the size of what they filter down to. Put a TRUE 15 micron in Stock location then a TRUE 2 micron before the injection pump. You'll have to research as there are 2 different ways they measure. One way will say 2 micron but it really isnt. Do the research. It will protect those injectors and that CP3. I hope you have gauges, if not need to monitor your EGT's. Having that engine turned up towing will get it hot quick. A stock turbo cannot handle the extra fuel and gets hot quick even with no load. Either turn it down or look into getting a set of twins. With a good set of towing twins you'll have no lag, instant and constant boost, and will keep your EGT's down. A single can't and a bigger single just isn't good for towing. With the twins you'll have your cake and eat it to. Either turn the truck down to a tow tune and keep it together or get a good set of twins and enjoy the power without blowing it up.

Regardless GET a good lift pump and a TRUE 2 micron filter between the stock filter and injection pump. Change them every 10,000 miles or sooner and always keep spare filters with you. Regardless of what lift pump you have or get put that filter between the stock and the injection pump. Will keep your injectors happy. This way the first filter gets the main trash and the second gets the tiny stuff before the CP3 and injectors. You can get the good filters at a trucking place. It's been a while since I had my Cummins but keeping the fuel clean in these newer trucks is crucial unless you like replacing injectors.

Is this thread about a trip to Moab or about diesel tow rigs and one guys bad luck with one? Just wondering.

Takes a Tow rig to get to the Wheeling out West! And back Home! All Part of the Trip. Informing others what they are up against, if they decide to make the trip to Wheeling Meca.

After all not everyone has one of these at their disposal!

2014 Alaska Loaded up.jpg

Like Steve has pointed out, we have less in out big trucks than most have in their fancy pick- ups and we don't have to do a lot of mods to suspension and the engine to make them do the job.

I currently live in Suburbia with a bunch of uptight, class conscious people, Have no place to park such a rig! Plus you gotta admit You and Steve are pretty much the only guys who show up at these small wheeling events with such LARGE Rigs.
(Maybe you guys are trying to compensate for something?)

IMG_20101024_192022.jpg

Henry I thought you lived in Arkansas ? :flipoff2:

I currently live in Suburbia with a bunch of uptight, class conscious people, Have no place to park such a rig!
I used to live in the same kind of area Henry...... Then I got smart and MOVED! Bigger houses, larger property, kinder neighbors, more homeowner freedoms, less crime and lower taxes - all for less purchase price.

One month ago today, Ted, Ben and I were departing for Grand Junction for what would be Ted's final trail of the trip. :'(

I know right, Wish I stayed out there!
20151010_122619.jpg

One month ago today, Ted, Ben and I were departing for Grand Junction for what would be Ted's final trail of the trip. :'(

got smashed potato home yesterday after a good day's worth of riding at AOP on Saturday so i guess you could say my Moab trip is finally complete... boo!

Anyway, let the repairs commence.

Henry - it's your truck and your money. Jus get er back up and running cuz there's more trails out there.

I'd love to have a little more Wheelbase next time! Think he'll let me borrow it again???
FJ45 Taterhead.jpg

P.S. Duramax is in the shop (Leadfoot Diesel-How appropriate! ), so I guess my Moab trip is still not over!!!

Pretty sure you already own one of those Henry.

But for real, that thing would be killer in Moab!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom