Clutch install trouble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, I've got my clutch in with new slave. All is in place. The only issue is that the throwout bearing is exerting great pressure on the fingers of the diaphragm, even at the lowest setting of the slave cylinder. I had to use a prybar to even mount the slave (pushing rearward the lateral end of the clutch fork). This is clearly too much pressure on the throwout bearing. Any idea what I am doing wrong?
Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 7.38.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 7.39.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 7.39.21 PM.png

flywheel looks thick, is it for a 3 finger clutch? you can't mix and match

Its the one that came off of this truck, with this same fork. The rig is a '73, but it is a SA import with a 2F.
I can measure thickness of the flywheel if anyone knows dimensions.
Pulled everything because T/TC seal went and oil went everywhere out of front of T. Pulled, resurfaced flywheel, rebuilt T, new clutch, pilot bearing, MC & SC, & starter (I know all this was not necessary, but once I get in there I'd rather just do it all).
Excited to get her on the road again but can't figure out where I went wrong here.

what style clutch did you remove?

either style flywheel can be used with any F, 2F engine

@Brice Noonan

The flywheel intended for the diaphragm pressure plate (the one you have in the picture) is almost flat across the surface facing the clutch disc.

The flywheel for the three-lever pressure plate, which is very thick, has a recessed surface (1/2 inch or so) that the clutch disc sits in, and the plate facing the clutch disc sits down in as well.

I suggest you compare the dimensions of your new pressure plate with the old pressure plate.

In your pic it looks like they added a nut as a homemade spacer to your pivot bolt. That would definitely create the issue you are having.

I've just gotten under there and also compared to the clutch fork ball on my FJ45. It seems clear that this 2F swapped 1973 FJ40 has the wrong clutch fork ball. It has the long (earlier 3speed) version, rather than the considerably shorter 4spd version it needs. Now the coronavirus lengthened wait for the part to ship from SOR. Thanks for the insight and advice to all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom