Clutch handle position question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got my first winch installed on my '80 behind factory bumper - sits in there pretty good. I've never owned a winch before so I've got a lot to learn...

The instructions on the winch (Tough Stuff 12,500lb) say that when not in use, I should leave the clutch handle in the disengaged position....

Problem is, that the heavy cable wants to uncoil with no tension present, so it quickly becomes a sloppy mess... I don't understand why you wouldn't just leave the winch engaged all the time... what harm would it cause?!

?!

You want to 'stretch' the winch cable and put it back on the drum. That is why it is unraveling on you.
You can look up how to do that, I just stretched the cable on my new 9500 Warn. Run it out until 2-3 wraps and then run it back in under tension. Your winch manufacturer will have a proper procedure for that. I've never left the cable clutch disengaged. I don't know about that.
Some kind of terribly funny news story of some 4 wheeler running his cable out under his truck down the highway comes to mind.....I wouldn't want that to be me. I have never left the clutch disengaged anyways.
I think the theory would be that under continual tension you could possibly be loading the drum continually causing potential long term damage.
I would recommend going to the website of your winch manufacturer and read all you can.

Depending where you live leaving the winch engaged could rust it in the engaged position. This is what happened to me in relatively dry southern CA. It meant that I couldn't free spool the winch out. The handle moved but nothing happened internally on my m10k. Internally the clutch was rusted in the engaged position.

I always leave the clutch engaged to prevent free spooling. No problems, but it helps to use it a few times a year to keep everything lubed.

Ok - thanks everybody.

Do you lube the line with WD40 or other substance to prevent corrosion?! Maybe cosmoline?!

Ok - thanks everybody.

Do you lube the line with WD40 or other substance to prevent corrosion?! Maybe cosmoline?!

I use ATF or hydraulic fluid ..

a friend of mine used to leave his in free spool then someone hooked it to a ups truck parked in front of him ,i still think it was funny but he didnt ,that and if its gonna sieze up its better to have it siezed in the locked position so you can use your winch.the solution to this is called maintenance on your stuff nothing worse than needing something and not have it work .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom