Clicking nose when turning fj80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1997 fj80 making clicking nose and rear tires locking when turning even with the 4h disengage
Can you please help

Clicking as mentioned above is generally your Birfs.

If in the rear....perhaps an Auto locker installed in the diff there.

Is this something that just started?

Clicking as mentioned above is generally your Birfs.

If in the rear....perhaps an Auto locker installed in the diff there.

Is this something that just started?
Since I bought it it's been doing it

Re your rear tires dragging when you turn: your viscous coupler is shot.

Remove it. Use search. There is a detailed thread with pics that shows you how to do it.

Don’t take it to a mechanic because most will tell you you need it and they are very expensive to replace. You do not need it.

It was one of the first jobs I did on my own rig. It’s not bad.

^^^

Agreed, my 97 was exactly as you describe when I got it. Pulled the VC as step one, this eliminated the tire drag. Installed a CDL switch at the same time. I swapped my birfields from side to side when I rebuilt the front axle and this eliminated the clicking.

Remove it. Use search. There is a detailed thread with pics that shows you how to do it.

Don’t take it to a mechanic because most will tell you you need it and they are very expensive to replace. You do not need it.

Thank you

I’ve been searching for the write up and can’t find it. Do you have a link? Please and thank you

For future reference, use google, not the search function on MUD. I searched “removing viscous coupler 80 series ih8mud” and it came right up.

For future reference, use google, not the search function on MUD. I searched “removing viscous coupler 80 series ih8mud” and it came right up.

Thanks I was just using the search bar on here. Got it replaced and it’s doing great

Can we ask why you replaced it instead of just removing it? All have advised removing is just fine and replacing is $$

I have personally removed one in just a couple hours time. Drove great after.

Can we ask why you replaced it instead of just removing it? All have advised removing is just fine and replacing is $$

I have personally removed one in just a couple hours time. Drove great after.

Increased NVH and driveline shock. Also reduced slick surface full-time 4WD function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom