Clicking noise post lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
I’ve done a bit of searching but nothing definitive has popped up other than check loose nuts etc. I put on new front oem Toyota struts in the front the other night and test drove, it was great. Then last night I put on ome 2860 rear springs with new oem Toyota struts in rear and cranked stock torsion bars up. Upon test drive I heard the clicking sound. So I nursed it back to garage (no more than 1/4 mile) and proceeded to put on the trail tailor diff drop. Another test drive and same clicking noise from front passenger wheel area (almost feels like a wobble).

the only other thing I did last night was grease the drive shaft.

any thoughts on what might be doing this? It’s weird to me as the front strut install was great, and I didn’t touch front end last night. Could the CVs be shot and the increase in lift have exposed that?

I should mention, the 100 series has 214k miles andthis AM I did lower the torsion bars about an inch which seems to have lessened the noise from 1 click ever 1-2 wheel revolutions to 1 click every 3-4. But much more lowering of front will have the front so low (relative to back) it kind of defeats the purpose.

appreciate any thoughts

also, truck is currently in Phx Arizona. If anyone has a shop they recommend please do share.

Last edited:
Are the CVs original with 214k miles on them? Have the wheel bearings been repacked or replaced within the last 30k miles? Checked for a rock stuck in tire tread or nail/screw in tire?

Desert Toy Shop in Mesa is good.

Are the CVs original with 214k miles on them? Have the wheel bearings been repacked or replaced within the last 30k miles? Checked for a rock stuck in tire tread or nail/screw in tire?

Desert Toy Shop in Mesa is good.

Plan was to put on new front brakes and while doing so repack bearings etc. had a crazy time with cone washers so much so I couldn’t get to the bearings. I’ll give that another go now though.

I can’t say definitively that CVs are original but if I had to guess I’d say so.

agree a rock or other foreign object could be making the “wobble” but the noise is definitely metallic in nature.

had a crazy time with cone washers so much so I couldn’t get to the bearings.
Hammering a brass drift on the studs is best practice for getting the cone washers off.

I can’t say definitively that CVs are original but if I had to guess I’d say so.
I’d bet it’s a CV joint or wheel bearing clicking, most likely the former.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom