Cigarette Lighter Isn't Working (But Gets Power) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There is an important point mentioned in those write-ups I didn't mention - heat . Accessory ports should never be used for a cigarette light , even if it fits as they are not built to withstand 400*+ of heat . Most will melt and seriously short out . Look closer at vintage lighter ports on cars/equipment - they are solid , heavy metal only - no plastic anywhere . My old 1967 Wheel Horse came stock with a cigar lighter and they are overbuilt heavy little things - most of them still work to this day once cleaned up . I did get a new lighter/socket for the '77 Cruiser last year - they are available from Toyota . If you need a new one for a Wheel Horse - good luck , they have become yet another Unicorn part with very nice originals going for $50+ on the market ...I have 3 tractors that have them with only 1 being dead at the moment .

Sarge

My '78 has exact same problem, couldnt charge up my cell phone out in the boonies. All fuses and other things in circuit work well aside from my carb cooling fan that stopped working about a month ago. Great post here, time to dig in.....................

I am guessing the socket is not a switched outlet that the ignition key has to be turned to juice it?

@BRShap good to know. Will have at her when I get home today;)

Ok so there was some corrosion and very mild surface rust inside. So I used some contact cleaner and q tips to clean the contact surfaces and center contact point. It is now in no way a perfect contact surface but it works and is juicing my cell phone. It works with no key in the ignition which surprised me-gotta love old school. My plan down the road is to disconnect the battery take the unit out and give her a thorough cleaning.

Had the same problem. Measured 12v and cigarette lighter and connections looked fine. Turned out I had corrision at fuse block. Voltage was getting through, built little current. Brushed naval jelly, let it sit, then spayed it of with contact cleaner. After that had full current and a lot of other things started to work better. Did that to entire fuse block. Back looks like new.
On a Mudders advice i cleaned all the contacts in my fuse block, and replaced the fuses and 80+ of my electrical gremlins went way... i used sand paper instead of naval jelly, but i suggest it to all

a few fixed grounds, and all i have left on the big electrical list is... my cigarette lighter, plugged a 12 flashlight into it and it's never worked again, power at fuze seems fine...

It's about 4th on my to do list...

b

:D

Ok so there was some corrosion and very mild surface rust inside. So I used some contact cleaner and q tips to clean the contact surfaces and center contact point. It is now in no way a perfect contact surface but it works and is juicing my cell phone. It works with no key in the ignition which surprised me-gotta love old school. My plan down the road is to disconnect the battery take the unit out and give her a thorough cleaning.
Glad you got it working! I'd better check mine now. If I left something plugged in I could have a dead battery.

Yes I was surprised she juiced up without key in..................thanks for your input on this, appreciated

I am having a similar problem with my '87 LJ71. The socket has 12 volts. But none of my accessories (including the original cigarette lighter) work. I bought an extension cord that plugs into it. When I plug in the extension cord the small LED on the cord lights up indicating it has power. As soon as I plug any of my accessories into the other end of the cord, the LED turns off and the accessories won't work. Any ideas?

Am trying to get power to my 1974 FJ40 cigarette lighter. There seems to be only one wire going to back of lighter. I guess ground is just cylindrical through the dash. I have a cheapo automotive volt meter with a tungsten bulb I bought in 2005. It does show current through stereo wire when I move key to Acc

I can't get any current, but I haven't tried taking off the one wire. Any suggestions?

Am pretty new at all this.

20181021_201105.jpg

20181021_201127.jpg

Your tester indicated juice at the stereo wire but no juice at the cig wire?

I tested the stereo wire, and there is juice. I tested the cigarette lighter itself and have nothing. Next step I guess is to cut the shrink wrap butt connector and test wire itself?

I tried cleaning the inside of the cigarette lighter with water and some naval jelly. No luck there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom