Christmas Vacation 4x4ing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Apr 29, 2010
Threads
92
Messages
5,498
Location
Langley BC
I have a couple week off over Christmas and want to get out a bit. There was some talk in other threads about some of us doing something. Have not seen a thread started yet so figured I would start one to get the ball rolling.

Input?

Since River Shiver filled up fast maybe we need a catchy name too......"Mild goose bumps"
 
Was thinking maybe hit a hot spring for a dip. Would be cool in the snow, clear creek is the only one have been too. There is a large one at the north of Harrison I have herd of as well.

I'm good with whatever everyone else wants to do.
 
I'll have to see about my schedule and how my eyeballs feel, but I would be up for a run possibly, course dragging frame in slushy snow is what I am all about, running a locked up wagon with 36's and chained all around if need be, so I will be getting into a lot of trouble before I turn around. Some people may not want me around on a run as I don't do well with cry babies and people afraid to scratch up trucks.:hillbilly:
Cheers,
Deny
 
Like I said, it all depends on the snow: depth and type. The north end of Harrison is a long way when you are dragging your frame in heavy slushy snow.

A few friends and I tried the Clear Creek thing on Nov. 26th. We got within about 2k of the tubs but the snow was heavy and slushy and it was pouring rain. We could have made it.... most likely but a few of us, myself included didn't feel comfortable with some of the exposed slopes and the slippery crap snow! I would want to have chains for anything like that.

We met a guy coming back down in a very cool 60. 62 body on BJ60 running gear. He was fully chained up and he said it had taken him almost 7 hours to get to the tubs.

Anyway, like stated, that's a lot of gravel travel just to get stumped by slushy snow. I would say go prepared or don't waste the time.
 
I'm in, as long as no one cancels the run due to snow
 
I have zero issues with snow, its just another element to learn to drive in. That melt at clear creek is probably well frozen up now with the last two weeks of cool weather. Hopefully by the time we go anywhere it will have snowed a bit more too.

No cancellations due to snow.....beside Deny is coming and can just drag us around :hillbilly:

Edit: scratches on the other hand......they make it hard to go through the Starbucks in the morning.:princess::flamingo:
 
I have no issues with snow. I have chains but have never used them. Not even sure I know how to install them properly.

For a few years now a few of us have gone up Vedder Mountain on New Years Eve day. We go up to the lookout after a few side trails and start a little fire and have some food. Might be an option.
 
I have no issues with snow. I have chains but have never used them. Not even sure I know how to install them properly.

For a few years now a few of us have gone up Vedder Mountain on New Years Eve day. We go up to the lookout after a few side trails and start a little fire and have some food. Might be an option.

Vedder Mountain is my one Vice, I have blown a tire every time I have been there. Its also the one place I have gotten body damage every trip as well.....please no...
 
Was thinking maybe hit a hot spring for a dip. Would be cool in the snow, clear creek is the only one have been too. There is a large one at the north of Harrison I have herd of as well.

I'm in for snow action! Attached is the location of the two springs I know of north of Harrison. I've only been to St Agnes. Also, there's a pic of some weirdo sitting in one of the tubs there in the summer....don't know what that's about.

The north end of Harrison is a long way when you are dragging your frame in heavy slushy snow.

It is really far. I was trying to get to the purported new blockage to the Indian Arm road last weekend (from Squamish). The snow was only about a 40 cm deep, but even at 15 PSI with V-Bar chains on all fours I was limited to about 0.5 km/hr and couldn't make it up a puny hill in the loose dry snow....need to get me a snow machine.
Hot Springs.webp
uglymug.webp
 
It is really far. I was trying to get to the purported new blockage to the Indian Arm road last weekend (from Squamish). The snow was only about a 40 cm deep, but even at 15 PSI with V-Bar chains on all fours I was limited to about 0.5 km/hr and couldn't make it up a puny hill in the loose dry snow....need to get me a snow machine.

Looked like a yetti warming himself in the tub :P

Last weekend I was up Mt.Thurston and it was 3ft old wet snow that had re frozen then had about 6" of fresh over top was the consistency of pee gravel. I was able to break trail for about 500m in 10min but then got bogged down and had to get a tug. I was down to 10psi on my 35's and lots of reverse and full throttle forward 10ft at a time. I had issues with the snow on top of alders and making large voids under the snow, dropped to my frame a few times. This was also on the flats, no hills. We tired to make it Cheam look out but ran into some quads coming down that killed our momentum and we were done.
 
OK folks I know lots of people are watching this thread so what date works? My thought is Tuesday the 27th, it should be a day off in leu for most. It should not be to busy with family holiday stuff. Unfortunantly both weekends are going to be busy with Holiday festivities or waiting in line at the liquor store.

What does everyone think? Once we have the date down then its the location.
 
So far this coming weekend looks better for me, either the 17th or 18th. Though I might need to think about shopping at some point as well. Not sure yet how much I'll be working the week between christmas and new years.
 
Yeah this coming weekend is a write off for me. I got two Pork butts I got to BBQ for pulled pork and Christmas shopping on Sunday.
 
The only 2 dates that don't work for me now are the 26 and 27. Those two days my family wants to go see some big light show near Mt. Vernon Washington...near Walker Valley. Hmm:hhmm:...anyone?
 
Back
Top Bottom