Chips (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anybody had any luck with the chips that say improve gas mileage? If so what brand. I was thinking software might be improved since 1996. Lol

Last edited:
I'd wager they do nothing.

If they do anything, it'll be so minuscule you'll be driving for years and years to squeeze enough pennies out of fuel savings to break even with what you paid for the chip. You can save more money by skipping one $5 purchase at the store.

Well, we all have different tastes. Personally, I'm a fan of those Hawaiian Barbecue kettle chips. I haven't noticed any effect on my mileage though. I guess if I ate enough of them...
Glad u like them...

most of those chips are aimed at performance rather than fuel saving
keep your car in top shape, tyres inflated correctly, dont carry any unnecessary weight and drive sensibly are my tips if your looking for fuel savings

You'll have better luck spending your money on scratch off lottery tickets.

"Chips" do nothing for vehicles unless you have a modern turbo system IMO. "chips" for turbo diesels get the feds sent after the companies making them LOL

If you want to get efficiency out of your LC maybe try what all the truck brands are doing these days and add a plastic air dam?

people hate the look but every truck has them now to get a fraction of a MPG when they increased the grill by 200x and increased the height of the hood to be perfect pedestrian crushers. It all makes sense right?

Glad u like them...
So, jokes aside, we're talking about 80 series Landcruisers. The later models with the most modern ECU's of the run are completely outdated. I can't imagine a chip that would actually work with the 80 that would DO anything useful. For example, in theory I can see something like wideband o2 sensors giving a leaner burn and improving mpg at cruise, but that would require sensors and a tune to match. You can get there with a replacement ECU like a Haltech or a Megasquirt, but "chip" implies something you just plug in and uh... nope.

I used a tuner that I plugged into the diagnostic port of my ‘02 Ford F350 crew cab diesel to reprogram the ECU. It worked great! Added a bunch of horsepower AND improved fuel economy. I went from getting around 13 mpg to getting as high as 31 mpg on the highway. I seen others use them with good success on gas engines (cars and motorcycles - I used one on my Ducati). I’ve only heard of people using them on modified 1FZFEs (turbos/superchargers/strokers).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom