Checking valve clearances; head is on bench (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi... so I'm attempting my first hg swap and valve job on my 1fz-fe, and I want to make sure I measure my valves correctly, but the cylinder head is off... and the FSM valve adjustment instructions only mention using the crank pulley for TDC then 360 turn for the second valve check position.

So my question is.... does that equate to a 180-degree turn on the camshaft? This would put the cam shafts dot marks perpendicular to the cylinder head?

If anybody out there has done this before, I would greatly appreciate any advice you might have.

Since the head is off the engine that'll make this process a whole lot faster. What you want to do is start with one camshaft and turn it by hand, till you have the high point of the cam lobe pointing (180 degrees) away from the first valve you want to check the clearance on.

Once that valve has been checked then move on to the next valve, and repeat the above steps until you've checked the clearance on each and every valve.

One thing I'd do to protect the valves as you turn the cam shafts is to place a block of wood under each end of the cylinder head. This will keep the valves from hitting/contacting the table, or surface you have the head sitting on when the valves open, and close.

Ok thanks!

OTRAMM has a great video on this procedure:

Whether you do it on the bench or attached to the block the video was enough to walk me through it easily. I had one valve out of spec, and of course it was the hardest one to reach #6. The procedure to adjust that one recommends removing the cams again, but I still managed to swap out the shim with the cams in place. Was a bear but, still easier than pulling the cams out again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom