checking/topping off transmission & transfer case fluids?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by wantatlc, Aug 13, 2005.

1. wantatlc

wantatlc

so, I have some small leaks on my floor from the transfer case (through the seal at the parking brake) and at a seal in the transmission.

how often should I check the fluid levels AND

what is the best fill level for each? until the top of the fill plug when I unscrew it?

2. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

Checking depends on how fast the leak is. The very small leaks I used to have meant I checked fluid level before major trips. Every couple of months.

Yep. Fill till it comes out the fill plug hole. I always overfilled just a tad.

3. wantatlc

wantatlc

thanks. I would not consider them small leaks, but not huge either. they drip daily for sure though. especially when warm and just run.

I am getting ready to do the seal at the parking brake (and the parking brakes) as that is the bigest leak and easiest to fix myself I believe. that way, I can fix a leak and get my parking brake back.

4. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    talk to gary kardum (mudrak custom cruisers)...he can machine out your speedo housing to accept two seals...won't leak again! one of the best things i ever did.

5. Doug_S

Doug_S

If the brake drum for the parking brake is scored where the seal contacts it, you can put a speedi sleeve on and take care of the problem along with a new seal. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.