1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

checking/topping off transmission & transfer case fluids?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by wantatlc, Aug 13, 2005.

1. wantatlc

wantatlc

so, I have some small leaks on my floor from the transfer case (through the seal at the parking brake) and at a seal in the transmission.

how often should I check the fluid levels AND

what is the best fill level for each? until the top of the fill plug when I unscrew it?

2. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

Checking depends on how fast the leak is. The very small leaks I used to have meant I checked fluid level before major trips. Every couple of months.

Yep. Fill till it comes out the fill plug hole. I always overfilled just a tad.

3. wantatlc

wantatlc

thanks. I would not consider them small leaks, but not huge either. they drip daily for sure though. especially when warm and just run.

I am getting ready to do the seal at the parking brake (and the parking brakes) as that is the bigest leak and easiest to fix myself I believe. that way, I can fix a leak and get my parking brake back.

4. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    talk to gary kardum (mudrak custom cruisers)...he can machine out your speedo housing to accept two seals...won't leak again! one of the best things i ever did.

5. Doug_S

Doug_S

If the brake drum for the parking brake is scored where the seal contacts it, you can put a speedi sleeve on and take care of the problem along with a new seal. :)