Chasing driveline vibrations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Chasing driveline vibrations after doing a bit of work on my fj62.( This is an Aus vehicle. So 3f H55f combo). My rear driveshaft did end up getting seperated by accident. I put it back together in phase. But have had vibrations ever since and being my daily driver have had to drive it like this for a few weeks now. I have tried indexing it in a few different spots including slightly out of phase to see if that helped sort things but no luck. So now am thinking of removing the rear shaft and seeing how it drives. To help track down the source of this . I have had a fair bit of bearing noise in the box for years now but she still shifts and behaves reasonably well . Reason I mention this is it possible that I could have done further damage to my output shaft bearings by driving with vibrations? And can they give off vibrations that get worse with speed like an out of balance driveshaft. Thanks Matty

Likely the driveshaft needs to be balanced. This is normally done at a driveline shop that has a balancing machine.

Likely the driveshaft needs to be balanced. This is normally done at a driveline shop that has a balancing machine.
A good driveshaft shop will cut out and weld in a new main shaft if yours is bent. They will then balance it after that.

what does it cost to have a driveline shop balance the drive shafts?

Appreciate all the replies. Further update. A mate gave me his hj60 tailshaft. Which seems the same length, same flange and bolt pattern. So assume is interchangeable with the fj62 shaft.(hj60 over here are 2h, h55f combo) Fitted it and still vibrations. Which I thought should solve my problems and also this way I can remove and and take my original shaft to the driveline shop. To fit new unis and balance. They are the only shop in my city in South Australia. So unfortunately what they decide to charge me I will have to to pay. Its $150 for balance and something like $300 to supply and fit unis. So not real cheap but atleast I will have a rebuilt shaft. But now am wondering f I have been unlucky enough to damage maybe either carrier bearing in rear diff or perhaps rear output shaft bearing from driving with vibrations for the two to three weeks. I assume if I go for a drive with just the front shaft and all vibrations are gone. Then obviously I can narrow it down to something in the rear. But how I do further check to narrow down what I could be? Appreciate all the help. Thanks Matt.

In some countries, Land Cruiser only sees rutted washboard dirt roads which create insane bone jarring vibrations — it’s whole life (decades) and everything stays together. I wouldn’t think that driving a few weeks with driveline vibration would hurt anything.

I hear you there. You do a trip into the remote parts of Australia and landcruisers are the most popular vehicle. For that exact reason they can take a beating over corrugated roads time and time again and like I mentioned in an earlier post . Ive had a gearbox bearing noise for over eight years and the box still behaves pretty well for its age and kms. Would of thought dropping in the replacement shaft would of cured my vibrations . As that shaft hasn't been pulled apart and should still be in balance. Appreciate all the replies. Will have to look further into it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom