Charcoal canister replacements for 85 22RE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone. Just curious to know if anyone has replaced their canister with an aftermarket type. I'm starting to get tank pressure and fuel smell as the outside temps are warming up. A couple of weeks ago we had temps in the 100 degree range and I did a 40 mile drive with the a/c on. By the time I got back home the garage was smelling pretty bad with gas fumes. Also getting pressure in the tank when I remove the fuel cap. From what I can tell this truck doesn't have a purge valve. Looks like my can is original too.

Boy, I've never heard of an issue with a vapor canister. There are three ports on the canister, two on top, one on the bottom. Historically, once, I had the bottom port puke gas. But that was years ago, and it's never happened again. Also, the canister doesn't care if your AC was on.

I would make sure your vacuum line is not plugged to the throttle body, and the line is in good shape in general. You might also remove the throttle body and give it a good cleaning (get the gasket first). It's possible it's gunked up inside and that port is not "breathing" into the TB from the canister. If you want to try and bubba fix it, try spraying carb cleaner into that port with the engine running.

Also, are there aftermarket options?

I did check that port from the throttle body and it pulls vacuum under part throttle as it should. I did a headgasket last fall and cleaned the tbody at that point. Everything was fine until it started warming up here. If the temps stay below 90 its ok. Wanted to try another canister.

i know all the 80 series LC were having issues with theirs (mine as well) and everyone switched them out to the VC120 unit. worked great for me

i know all the 80 series LC were having issues with theirs (mine as well) and everyone switched them out to the VC120 unit. worked great for me

Yeah, I used that number on my 80 as well but its a lot larger in diameter than the original in the pickup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom