Central Nevada Ghost/Mining Town exploration April 28-into the first part of May. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So Darcie and I did some pre-running exploring this weekend and we decided to do a full run.

Here are the details:

Saturday, April 28, 2007:
Leave Reno around 8:00 am on Saturday.
Head towards Fallon, NV and top off the fuel tanks. Continue on US 50, through to SR 722, past Middle Gate toward East Gate, turn south on Buffalo Creek Rd. and start the dirt roads to Ione and end up at Berlin/Ichthyosaur state park. Stop for the night and walk around the ghost town of Berlin, the fossils and enjoy the stellar night sky.

Sunday, April 29, 2007:
Get up, pack and head over the West/East Union Canyon Rd to the Reese River Valley and head north to Austin, NV to fill up (dirt roads to US 50). Stop by Stokes Castle for those that haven't seen it. Return just west of Austin and turn south (leave pavement) onto Big Creek Rd. and follow it up and over the Toiyabe Range over the Kingston Summit (8680ft) snow pack permitting to Kingston to SR 376. Turn south and travel down to the Ophir turn off. Turn west onto the road heading up to the ghost town of Ophir City (7640 ft) and set up camp. There is a road that goes past the town site that would be worth exploring, we were in the wrong vehicle for it. One map we have shows it going back over the mountain range, we would just explore for little way up.

Monday, April 30, 2007:
Get up, pack and head south on SR 376 to SR 377 (fill up as needed) towards the living ghost town of Manhattan. Once done with Manhattan, continue through on dirt over the mountains to another the other living ghost town of Belmont. From Belmont head north on the east side of the Toquima Range on dirt on past the Geographic Center of Nevada. Back up to US 50. Once on US 50 turn east toward Eureka, fill up, continue east on US 50 and turn south (dirt road) toward the ghost towns/sites of Belmont Mill (7560 ft). Depending on how our time is going, camp at Belmont Mill or continue up to Hamilton (8052 ft)/Treasure City (8920 ft) and camp.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007:
Get up, pack and head south on Hamilton-Pioche Stage Rd. next to the White Pine Range, to near the Ellison Guard Station, turn west onto Copper Creek Rd. over Beef Pass (8085 ft) to the White River Rd., turn west on Currant Creek Rd. and pass near Currant Pk (11513 ft) to US 6. Turn east toward Ely. This will give everyone a chance to head home or get a hotel room/hot shower/food.

This is where things are up in the air as to where to go...so anyone that wants to tag along is welcome and provide any ideas. I want to keep it at no more than 10 rigs. If it at anytime someone needs to turn back, there is always a major road nearby and they can head back home at will.

We have been to almost all the towns, just not in one trip. So we have a month to iron out the details.

See you there.:bounce: :bounce:

Jack

Last edited:
Well sounds like cool trip jack wish i could join ya but gonna be doing the power steering on the 40 this week um any one wants to get ahold of me just call (775) 867-3796 if im not home leave a message and i will call you back would like to get some of your PH#'s that way if i need to get ahold of anyone i can hehe :cheers:
Dan

So Darcie and I did some pre-running exploring this weekend and we decided to do a full run.

Here are the details:

Saturday, April 28, 2007:
Leave Reno around 8:00 am on Saturday.
Head towards Fallon, NV and top off the fuel tanks. Continue on US 50, through to SR 722, past Middle Gate toward East Gate, turn south on Buffalo Creek Rd. and start the dirt roads to Ione and end up at Berlin/Ichthyosaur state park. Stop for the night and walk around the ghost town of Berlin, the fossils and enjoy the stellar night sky.

Sunday, April 29, 2007:
Get up, pack and head over the West/East Union Canyon Rd to the Reese River Valley and head north to Austin, NV to fill up (dirt roads to US 50). Stop by Stokes Castle for those that haven't seen it. Return just west of Austin and turn south (leave pavement) onto Big Creek Rd. and follow it up and over the Toiyabe Range over the Kingston Summit (8680ft) snow pack permitting to Kingston to SR 376. Turn south and travel down to the Ophir turn off. Turn west onto the road heading up to the ghost town of Ophir City (7640 ft) and set up camp. There is a road that goes past the town site that would be worth exploring, we were in the wrong vehicle for it. One map we have shows it going back over the mountain range, we would just explore for little way up.

Monday, April 30, 2007:
Get up, pack and head south on SR 376 to SR 377 (fill up as needed) towards the living ghost town of Manhattan. Once done with Manhattan, continue through on dirt over the mountains to another the other living ghost town of Belmont. From Belmont head north on the east side of the Toquima Range on dirt on past the Geographic Center of Nevada. Back up to US 50. Once on US 50 turn east toward Eureka, fill up, continue east on US 50 and turn south (dirt road) toward the ghost towns/sites of Belmont Mill (7560 ft). Depending on how our time is going, camp at Belmont Mill or continue up to Hamilton (8052 ft)/Treasure City (8920 ft) and camp.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007:
Get up, pack and head south on Hamilton-Pioche Stage Rd. next to the White Pine Range, to near the Ellison Guard Station, turn west onto Copper Creek Rd. over Beef Pass (8085 ft) to the White River Rd., turn west on Currant Creek Rd. and pass near Currant Pk (11513 ft) to US 6. Turn east toward Ely. This will give everyone a chance to head home or get a hotel room/hot shower/food.

This is where things are up in the air as to where to go...so anyone that wants to tag along is welcome and provide any ideas. I want to keep it at no more than 10 rigs. If it at anytime someone needs to turn back, there is always a major road nearby and they can head back home at will.

We have been to almost all the towns, just not in one trip. So we have a month to iron out the details.

See you there.:bounce: :bounce:

Jack

I'm in...sounds great Jack...and perfect timing for me! Should have the hundy fired up tomorrow night...just have about 1-hour to go and it's ready to run:) .

Sure would be nice to use 2m on this trip...too bad bone head Tony cost us all a month delay:mad: .

I'm in...sounds great Jack...and perfect timing for me! Should have the hundy fired up tomorrow night...just have about 1-hour to go and it's ready to run:) .

Excellent. Maybe we can work out any details at the next meeting.

Congratulations on the 90k service that has got to be a good feeling. Anytime you complete a major project, it's a good feeling.

Sure would be nice to use 2m on this trip...too bad bone head Tony cost us all a month delay:mad: .

I was thinking the same thing. Is everyone thinking about the IGT April 21st test date? If so that would give us a week...

Jack

Well sounds like cool trip jack wish i could join ya but gonna be doing the power steering on the 40 this week um any one wants to get ahold of me just call (775) 867-3796 if im not home leave a message and i will call you back would like to get some of your PH#'s that way if i need to get ahold of anyone i can hehe :cheers:
Dan

Good luck on the PS conversion. Are you using the 60 stuff or Saginaw?

I kind of had the same thought, maybe we could put together a little cheat card with everyone's phone numbers. Might be kind of nice for the club members.

Jack

Excellent. Maybe we can work out any details at the next meeting.

Congratulations on the 90k service that has got to be a good feeling. Anytime you complete a major project, it's a good feeling.

I was thinking the same thing. Is everyone thinking about the IGT April 21st test date? If so that would give us a week...

Jack

I want to take the test at IGT on the 21st. I'll contact them to see if/when we need to let them know and post up the details.

Gonna use all 60 components for the PS conversion might even get the shackle reversal done as well hehe :cheers: :beer:

Sounds fun Jack...
Thats the weekend of the annual BLOTCH trip, and that wins every time!
Have a blast though!

Chicago

Sounds fun Jack...
Thats the weekend of the annual BLOTCH trip, and that wins every time!
Have a blast though!

Chicago

I hear you, I kind of threw it out there last minute. We'll get the next one.

Jack

I have a couple of engineers coming over from England to work on our main production equipment that week. So I don't think I'll be making it.

I have a couple of engineers coming over from England to work on our main production equipment that week. So I don't think I'll be making it.

(In my best english accent) Tell those bloody wankers to pick another week.:cool:

Sorry to hear that, we were hoping you guys were going to be able to make it...next time.

Jack

(In my best english accent) Tell those bloody wankers to pick another week.:cool:

Sorry to hear that, we were hoping you guys were going to be able to make it...next time.

Jack

I wish, I've been setting this up since last year. They only come to the US every couple of years so we can't miss this visit.

Oooh, this sounds like an amazing ride. Unfortunately I'll be away on my road trip in the other direction. Anyone who goes, please take lots of photos and notes. I can them up on my paper's web site when you return. We're looking to get more adventures up for everyone to see. We have some video capability too, so anyone shooting video, we have a some opportunities there.

drop me a line on my work e-mail if you're interested

ksheffield@tahoe-world.com

Oooh, this sounds like an amazing ride. Unfortunately I'll be away on my road trip in the other direction. Anyone who goes, please take lots of photos and notes. I can them up on my paper's web site when you return. We're looking to get more adventures up for everyone to see. We have some video capability too, so anyone shooting video, we have a some opportunities there.

drop me a line on my work e-mail if you're interested

ksheffield@tahoe-world.com

I was actually thinking about writing something up and of course there will be lots of photos.

Jack

Keep your eyes open for the big blue 60 with the Maggiolina on top. I'l be heading to Moab that day (via Hwy 50 - Spencer Hot Springs). Bob

Keep your eyes open for the big blue 60 with the Maggiolina on top. I'l be heading to Moab that day (via Hwy 50 - Spencer Hot Springs). Bob

Will do, have a safe trip.

Jack

We realized this weekend that we can joine you guys for Saturday and Sunday then drive home from Austin. Make us a tentative maybe for that part of the trip, I'll double check with :princess: on it tonight.

Edit: Just looked at the map again, we could probably do the Kingston portion then go SR376 to Alt95 and home.

Last edited:
We realized this weekend that we can joine you guys for Saturday and Sunday then drive home from Austin. Make us a tentative maybe for that part of the trip, I'll double check with :princess: on it tonight.

Edit: Just looked at the map again, we could probably do the Kingston portion then go SR376 to Alt95 and home.

Great! Do you need a tent to borrow?

Excellent. You might even be able to make it to Ophir, before you have to head back.

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom