Center console cubby retrofit - changer removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sdnative

SILVER Star
Threads
I didn't see any info regarding retrofitting a late model changer equipped cubby with an early non-changer cubby so I wanted to document the retrofit.

I did find this thread, but it appears to be a non-US truck.

cubby swap

My changer never worked since I bought the truck. Not a big deal since I don't really play disks. I bought another used changer thinking it would be nice to have a working system, but I couldn't get that one to work either. At that point I decided to just rip it out and use the space for a CB/Ham or something.

I tried to buy the cubby parts from the dealer thinking I could eyeball them and return them if it looked like they wouldn't fit. Unfortunately the parts were discontinued. I ended up buying a used console with the hopes that the cubbies would be a direct swap and I could gain some extra storage space.

Here are some comparisons between the two:

IMAG0745.jpg

IMAG0747.jpg

IMAG0751.jpg

IMAG0752.jpg

IMAG0753.jpg

IMAG0754.jpg

IMAG0755.jpg

IMAG0756.jpg

Test fitting:
IMAG0759.jpg

When installing the assembled console, it wouldn't seat all the way. Turns out the two areas circled in red were interfering. I filed down the plastic leg about 1/8" and it seated properly.

Also, the bracket circled in yellow was interfering with the side of the console lining up to the side of the cubby. With a little convincing I was able to get the holes to line up. It would seem this vertical bracket is not on the non-changer trucks.

IMAG0760_1.jpg

IMAG0761_1.jpg

And installed. I was able to use the blank plate to cover the hole where the rear controls were.
IMAG0762.jpg

IMAG0763.jpg

I found a used console like you did, plan on removing my changer soon. Glad you did it, you ironed out a few of the details I would have had to figure out on my own. Thanks for posting!

And installed. I was able to use the blank plate to cover the hole where the rear controls were.
IMAG0762.jpg

Appreciate the time and work putting up the pictures and info, :D

Can I inquire about that iPad holder and would you purchase it again? More the mounting arm, I have a holder for the iPad but need a solid mounting arm.

I had a TechDeck in my Tacoma that was sturdy as heck and held my iPad Air 2 perfectly.

Seeking to do the same someway in my LC. The iPad is an awesome mapping tool with GAIA.

Last edited:
Thanks for the writeup - wasted space pains me and i haven't used a CD in years. I replaced my rear audio controls with the blank plate and installed two of the fast charge USB ports back there. Do you think with the retrofit there is still room for USB ports on the plate? Looking at your non-CD console, that cubby might take up any of the room behind the plate that I'm using for power and connections. This writeup shows the space as about 2" - still about the same with the retrofit?

The arm is a standard RAM double swing-arm telepole mount. It is designed for another vehicle (not sure which) and happened to work in the 100. The telepole section is designed to be vertical, but in the 100 it ends up being tilted forward towards the glove box. It works ok though and there are no clearance issues, although adjustability is a little bit affected.

I used the RAM Ipad mini cradle mount. I don't remember the part number but it may have been this one:
EZ-Roll’r Cradle for the Apple iPad mini 4 Unpackaged - RAM-HOL-AP20U | RAM Mounts
It works really good but the fit is tight. You wouldn't be able to use this mount if your Ipad had a cover on it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the writeup - wasted space pains me and i haven't used a CD in years. I replaced my rear audio controls with the blank plate and installed two of the fast charge USB ports back there. Do you think with the retrofit there is still room for USB ports on the plate? Looking at your non-CD console, that cubby might take up any of the room behind the plate that I'm using for power and connections. This writeup shows the space as about 2" - still about the same with the retrofit?

I don't remember to be honest. Next time I pull the console apart I will measure and update this thread. I want to do something similar.

The arm is a standard RAM double swing-arm telepole mount.

You can see more pictures of the mount setup in my build thread (link in signature), post 67.

Thanks, I'll dig!

I have the RAM holder for the iPad in an OtterBox case. It's a spring loaded piece that you can swap the "wings" if you change cases or go "Nude"
I recently realized the cover to my OtterBox case had a cracked hinge on the portion that you use to set your angle. Only two angles are used. Well OtterBox sent me a new entire case assembly so I want to use my old outer portion with the broken hinge which I can Dremel away and just mount that back plate that holds the iPad to a RAM ball. Say one with the 4-holes and 1" ball. I'll get pics and get them up in my own thread eventually.

Sorry for blowing the dust off this old thread, but can I ask where you sourced the used cubby from? I just bought an '03 that has a non working changer and a top lid that doesn't stay closed so I'm trying to come up with parts for the swap.

wonder if the Lexus cubby is the same as for an LC with a dead changer?
i've been wanting to do this as well.

Did anyone have to remove the lexus link stuff under the lx console? Mine has this stuff, I dont care about lexus link. Assume I can just rip it out, or maybe the full size cubby will fit over it, I just need to play with it some more to get it seated properly. My LX is an 07, and I'm using a cubby from a 98 LC truck.

1679884048747.png

do you have to remove the seats to do the swap?
I dont think you have to, but it sure makes it easier. Each front seat is held down by 4 bolts, unplug wires from bottom and they come right out. It literally takes about 5 minutes per seat. Plus you can clean out those 5-year old french fries while the seats are out.

I have a non-CD changer console in tan if anyone is planning on this project. I'll get around to posting it in classifieds at some point but plenty of higher priorities right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom