Cascadia 4x4 Hood Solar Panel Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
At the PNW overland expo I met the dudes from Cascadia 4x4, I was telling them that if they ever cut one of their solar panels for an FJ60 hood, I would buy on the spot. Well, apparently their 3rd gen Tacoma matched the lines and they told me it was what they were going to release for the 60. So they called my bluff and I bought there. (along with a moon shade awning... that's another quality piece)
I don't have large solar demands. I have a dual battery with setup with not much on the accessory battery. I do have a dometic fridge in the back that will only last a day or so in the heat. The 95w panel from cascadia seemed perfect to keep it running indefinitely. I also don't really have space on the roof rack for that.

So first is a vinyl install, this keeps the middle of the solar panel from bouncing off the paint and rubbing it, even though the solar panel does have foam on the back to prevent the same. This also provides a good template to mount the solar panel.

xSyUPjkl.jpg

the VHB tape that affixes the panel to the hood is larger than the vinyl. so I made a tape template to line the panel up.

PKIEb1xl.jpg

Reactions: HMP
Next was easy, placing the panel and pulling the VHB tape. Lined it up and just press down hard!

Qj3oEVHl.jpg

4L64t9nl.jpg

After that I just ran the cord under the hood via the rear seal.

HJeTSDEl.jpg

From there it just connects to the controller below. Its mounted to the firewall by VHB as well. The controller has leads to wire an accessory directly to the panel, but in my case it has long leads that I wired to charge the accessory battery. As soon as I plugged it in, lights came on and started working!

2G66Y8Al.jpg

Last edited:
I’m interested in some longer term testing on the panel! So, let us know how here if you run into any quality or electrical issues! This is definitely on my mods list!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom