Cargo Drawer / Sleeper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Keeping the top of the platform relatively low like you've done is important to make it comfortable when used as a sleeper. It does limit the capacity of the storage underneath, but it's a good trade-off.

Yeah I ended up lowering it after my initial design once I started test fitting pieces and more importantly put the piece on the top of the second row seats. As of right now the side pieces of the box are 8" with a sheet on top and bottom for a total 9.25-9.5" high. And this give me 7" of height inside the box but I don't plan on putting a tool box inside the drawer. Plan on splitting up my tools into little containers and pouches.

I realize you want to keep it low so that you are not right in the roof of your car, but in your pictures it looks like wear you go from your back seats to the rear cargo area it isn't level? It might just be the pictures???

Looks good. I just built a similar sleeping platform. Also heading to Ikea for a futon mattress that is 55" x 72". Fits exactly the size of an 80 with a platform. Just one more thing that may keep your wife even happier...

I realize you want to keep it low so that you are not right in the roof of your car, but in your pictures it looks like wear you go from your back seats to the rear cargo area it isn't level? It might just be the pictures???

Yeah it's a touch off, but remember no weight is on it and the seats at the top will squish down evening it out. Plus I have some hardware to tie that platform into the box. Stay tuned will be working on it this weekend.

I think a lot of their strength comes from being attached to the material. They always feel flimsy in the store, but once you attach them to your plywood they should "stiffen up".

Mark - You may want to go check out Rockler on Clairemont Mesa for your hinge applications. They have a huge selection and are very knowledgable about everything wood.

Plus their right next to a gun shop a great way to spend an afternoon.:grinpimp:

Looks good. I just built a similar sleeping platform. Also heading to Ikea for a futon mattress that is 55" x 72". Fits exactly the size of an 80 with a platform. Just one more thing that may keep your wife even happier...

We use a pair of cushy Thermarest self-inflating mattresses. They're roughly 30" x 75". Two of them just about exactly fill the top of the sleeper. It's right at 60" between the sides of the cabin in the 80.

Mark,
Yeah, I thought the same thing when I first picked the piano hinge up. But once they're screwed in, they're surprisingly strong. Plus many of the heavier ones have leaves that are wider than 3/4" and that makes installing them on 3/4" thick materials more difficult.

On our sleeper, I installed the hinges so the when everything is flat, just the barrel of the hinge protrudes above the floor about 1/8" with the two leaves folded down together against each other. I was worried about this snagging, but it's really not been a problem. I just threw a small, thin rug about 3'x4' over the center part of our sleeper where they protrude slightly. This also helps keep stuff from sliding around on top.

Mark,
I'm humbled:D

Didn't want to hijack your thread, but here's the link for easy reference:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/412084-camper-conversion-drawer-system.html

I like your use of "sleeper" versus my clumsier and perhaps over optimistic "camper conversion" nomenclature.

You've got some great ideas and I like how you're making it fit your needs. The details matter less than execution of the overall concept. You've already hit on another key concept: It's a good way to make your SO enjoy camping more -- Priceless!;)

Follow your muse. I'll be glad to help with anything.

I only got to work on it Saturday this weekend but that's allright since my slides & paddle latch didn't come in yet. So I focused on the hinge and the two sleeping platforms. I got the second top that flips over cut out for my CO2 bottle and I trimmed down the second seat platform a little more. I had to trim this down more because when the 2nd row seats fold down they kindof push to the back, so I need to pull this piece up first so the seats can fold down. Then I need it to drop forward without hitting the seat belts or the Oh $h!t handles. But its looking like it will work out and I am able to sit up with just my neck bent and the :princess: is able to sit-up with a slouch.
I have to get this thing done next weekend but shouldn't be a problem sinc the :princess: is going on a retreat for the whole weekend.

06.jpg

With the second top cut-out for the CO2 bottle it leaves an opening for me to add a latched door to the cubby left next to the box. I am planning to fiberglass that area in so I can store oils and not have to worry about spills.
35.JPG

Here is how the box looks with the 3rd row seat in from the front and the back.
09.jpg

08.jpg

Last edited:
So my $22 paddle latch came in Monday and I'm happy with it's quality but I can't figure out how to mount it? Does the opening just need to be tight to hold it in place? I am considering putting (4) carriage bolts through the flange so you can't lossen them from the outside and just from the nuts on the inside.

Here is the webiste link for the product: LATCH,LOCKING,JP STEEL,JR REC (L1980) - Welcome to Buyers Products Company

L1980.jpg

So my $22 paddle latch came in Monday and I'm happy with it's quality but I can't figure out how to mount it? Does the opening just need to be tight to hold it in place? I am considering putting (4) carriage bolts through the flange so you can't lossen them from the outside and just from the nuts on the inside.

Here is the webiste link for the product: LATCH,LOCKING,JP STEEL,JR REC (L1980) - Welcome to Buyers Products Company

L1980.jpg

Epoxy ? maybe there are securing holes on the side ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom