Carb Choke Resistance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m having an issue with the carb choke cable on my 1986 60. I can pull it out and engage the choke, but when I push it back in, it won’t disengage. I have to open the hood and manually pull the choke on the carb back to get it to idle lower.

I’m not sure what the best way is to lube the cable and what to use to help it slide better. For those with experience in this area, what would you recommend I do?

Pic for attention
58FE505B-22D6-47E8-9B2B-030A70F9A244.jpeg

How about a picture of your carb/choke set up?

It’s stock AFAIK, but here is a shot of the pass through the firewall and the cable line (which is new, installed at a shop).

E0E8691E-E282-47C4-ADBD-11FA7882A2AE.jpeg

4097AD24-641E-4EB9-8EFA-8BF5016E6BBB.jpeg

I wonder if the grommet coming out of the firewall is the issue or if the cable housing just needs to be lined up.

I think I got this fixed. I used a few zip-ties to fasten the cable to the rigid brake lines off of the brake booster and it works properly now.

The cable looks sharply bent coming out of the firewall and the grommet looks like it has sunken into the firewall. If you had that install done at a shop, you should probably not use them again in the future, since it doesnt look like they checked their work very well (just my opinion). You might also see if you can use a bit of grease and pull the grommet through the firewall. Those usually seal firewall holes better than it looks like what is going on in the picture.

^^^
Agree about this shop…this is something they should have verified prior to returning it to the customer.

^^^
Agree about this shop…this is something they should have verified prior to returning it to the customer.
I agree with both of you. I’m not using that shop again. I was able to get the grommet seated properly and was able to secure the cable housing iso g zip ties to get it into a stable position. Now it works like a charm. Zip ties for the win!

From your photo, it looks like your wire pass through is also missing the rubber seal. Without that, rainwater will enter the cabin.

I agree with both of you. I’m not using that shop again. I was able to get the grommet seated properly and was able to secure the cable housing iso g zip ties to get it into a stable position. Now it works like a charm. Zip ties for the win!
I'm local to you, mind if I ask what shop did the work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom