Car cranks but doesn't start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here are symptoms:
1. Car cranks but doesn't actually start
2. I've tried jumping but that doesn't help either
3. Car was running and I saw battery voltage dropping and then car stopped.

Generally I would look for missing spark but because of #3 I'm assuming I need a new alternator.
Is that correct?

I'm thinking of buying an extra car, so that I can fix my 97 Lexus properly.
What all things should I consider when diagnosing the car?
Right now I'm thinking of following:
1. Check starter (I don't know how)
2. Check alternator with load test (but if I'm putting new alternator this should be fine)
3. Fix all fluid leaks : How do I detect these and how do I fix these? Should I just change the hoses?
4. Check all fluid pumps : I've no idea where to start on these.

Does that cover everything I should look at? Any other inputs are appreciated.

As for second car I'm thinking Jeep Grand Cherokee (4WD), I would buy one more LC / LX but those things are expensive to buy new. What is verdict about Jeep GC?

If you are looking for a reliable second vehicle a used Heep would be one of my last suggestions.

If you check engine light when you try to start it then most likely you have a bad fusible link.

Or since you have a LX450 it might be mad at you for not making enough Starbucks runs...

Actually the Grand Cherokee is a great 2nd vehicle. 4.0 is a strong motor, make sure you look around though, and find the New Process 231 TC. The full time TC is pure grade A GARBAGE!
OK, I'm ready! Let the bashing begin!

Actually the Grand Cherokee is a great 2nd vehicle. 4.0 is a strong motor, make sure you look around though, and find the New Process 231 TC. The full time TC is pure grade A GARBAGE!
OK, I'm ready! Let the bashing begin!

You cray.

Thanks everyone,
I heard good things about Jeep GC that's why looking at it (I was looking at Discovery Sport as well but I guess bit more expensive), and I'm going with new (not used)
I'll look for TC (I guess that means traction control), Not sure what is 231 Vs full time but I'll read about them.

As for my car I need to wait a week before I can tow it back, AAA is completely overwhelmed by all the towing from Lake Tahoe area with all snow storm and stuff.
And as for CEL -- I think it turns on everytime before engine starts, At least if I remember correctly CEL comes on until car actually starts (even before breaking down)
Didn't read properly, I'll check CEL while cranking once I get the car (however I looked at fusible links and they are good)

Fusible links can look good to the naked eye but be bad. A visual inspection of them doesn't really do you any good. You should carry a spare in your glove compartment. They are only about $12. Cheaper than a tow...

Fusible links can look good to the naked eye but be bad. A visual inspection of them doesn't really do you any good. You should carry a spare in your glove compartment. They are only about $12. Cheaper than a tow...
Actually I've already bought them (and the box in which they are held) but obviously it's at house and not in car. I should just replace them next time I get to fixing.

Thanks everyone,
I heard good things about Jeep GC that's why looking at it (I was looking at Discovery Sport as well but I guess bit more expensive), and I'm going with new (not used)
I'll look for TC (I guess that means traction control), Not sure what is 231 Vs full time but I'll read about them.

As for my car I need to wait a week before I can tow it back, AAA is completely overwhelmed by all the towing from Lake Tahoe area with all snow storm and stuff.
And as for CEL -- I think it turns on everytime before engine starts, At least if I remember correctly CEL comes on until car actually starts (even before breaking down)
Didn't read properly, I'll check CEL while cranking once I get the car (however I looked at fusible links and they are good)

TC= Transfer Case
231j--------good, part time, transfer case---- much sought after.
241(? I believe)------- bad, full time transfer case------ hard to give away.

Actually I've already bought them (and the box in which they are held) but obviously it's at house and not in car. I should just replace them next time I get to fixing.

Takes 5 minutes. I highly recommend. Most likely yours is original.

TC= Transfer Case
231j--------good, part time, transfer case---- much sought after.
241(? I believe)------- bad, full time transfer case------ hard to give away.
I see that TC on the car I'm looking at is MP3022 (Quad-trac II with selec-terrain) so I guess not really good but then again I think 231J is 88-06 cars and I'm not buying old second car. I maybe wrong through. I have been reading around and don't see many numbers mentioned, however I see all the terms mentioned like Quad-Trac Quad-Drive etc.

I see that TC on the car I'm looking at is MP3022 (Quad-trac II with selec-terrain) so I guess not really good but then again I think 231J is 88-06 cars and I'm not buying old second car. I maybe wrong through. I have been reading around and don't see many numbers mentioned, however I see all the terms mentioned like Quad-Trac Quad-Drive etc.

My mistake, I thought you WERE buying used! Sorry ...... good luck!

The fusible link and the fuel pump relay will cause the same non-start issue.

Received my car the day before (that was huge back-log for tows).
I'll try fusible links and any codes over weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom