Cam's FJ60 Gets Sprung (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Semi-float rear?

You mentioned you had a full float?

What's the plan regarding the axles? Why are you running the 80 front?

Yeah, this was the early FZJ 80 with the SF rear. But the universe practically handed it to me, so I had to act. My thought was I could build it out and then swap in a FF later on (and I knew of one at a salvage yard nearby).

But then the universe handed me a full floating rear axle. There was one for sale in Alabama, and even came with a mudship. I only had to lift a finger to send a Paypal from my phone.

The full float needs a full rebuild, so I'll probably still build it with the SF and then swap the other housing in when it is done. It just depends on the schedule and how things line up.

I'm running the 80 front because this swap is all about being quick and dirty. But hopefully more quick and less dirty. It is already set up from the factory to do the job. I don't want to re-invent the suspension, just cut and paste one that is already engineered. This should be way less work.

Last edited:
I can't wait to see it in action.

The only problem I see with the 80 SF rear, is that they are so uncommon, there aren't any spare shafts.

I decided to start in the front because, believe it or not, it looks like it will be easier. The only thing I'll need to make it fully functional is a new driveshaft, since the 80 front has a different flange than the 60 front. Does anyone know if the flange from the bigger diffs will fit on the 80 front?

Also, my front axle is a gold mine of parts that can be sold to fund this. Steering box, ARB locker, OG Longs, 4x4 HD mild lift steering setup, plus the stock parts to sell for spares.

Here's some pics stolen from 88Chevota's thread...

image-1241864987.jpg

image-1742323521.jpg

image-893853772.jpg

The radius arms line up perfectly with the old transmission crossmember mounts...

image-442403432.jpg

Last edited:
I'll have an engine to work around, so it will be tighter working conditions, but I think still doable.

I can't wait to see it in action.

The only problem I see with the 80 SF rear, is that they are so uncommon, there aren't any spare shafts.

I don't plan for the SF to ever see the trail. And it might not even make it under the truck. Just depends how the stars align.

The only thing I'll need to make it fully functional is a new driveshaft, since the 80 front has a different flange than the 60 front. Does anyone know if the flange from the bigger diffs will fit on the 80 front?

When I did the manual swap on my old truck(now bossman's truck - 60 case into an 80) I just combined the 60 shaft and the 80 shaft to make it work. You may have all the pieces you need already, the slip joints should be the same.

This weekend I was able to attack the front half of the donor and cut off everything I needed.

image.jpeg

... and the pile I put on the curb for the scrap fairy...

image.jpeg

Here's the complete front end "kit"...

image.jpeg

@fountainhead graciously donated some (he thinks) OME 863 rear springs, so I've ordered a set of the matching front springs, in the 'J' flavor (to hopefully give a level stance).

When I did the manual swap on my old truck(now bossman's truck - 60 case into an 80) I just combined the 60 shaft and the 80 shaft to make it work. You may have all the pieces you need already, the slip joints should be the same.

I do have the 80's driveshafts. The front needs to be oriented with the slip end at the t-case so that the skinny part clears my transmission pan, but I'm sure I can make something that works from my pile of parts.

image.jpeg

While the front drive shaft length may have to change, as I remember the 80 flange is round and big, so you could just drill it for the existing 60 pattern.

And make it a priority to keep the sway bars.

You ever get the plasma cutter worked out?

While the front drive shaft length may have to change, as I remember the 80 flange is round and big, so you could just drill it for the existing 60 pattern.

Good idea.

And make it a priority to keep the sway bars.

Absolutely. These sway bars are pretty serious. I guess they are needed to keep the coils from acting like one of these (and I totally plan on making one with the stock springs :grinpimp:)...

image.jpeg

Cameron:

This is a great time to do the following:

1. Front panhard to frame mount side: reinforce that area really well.

2. Reinforce PS gear box at frame as well. These are known areas of stress. Measure 3 times, weld once.

3. Front control arm to axle housing brackets: reinforce these as well. Known area of breakage.

4. 105 series PS gear box upgrade with the pitman arm and new sector shaft. This is worth it in the long run as we all know.

5. New bushings for the panhard as well as the front control arm bushings.

6. Reinforce front sway bar to axle housing brackets. These can easily get ripped off.

Man... if you want me to come up for a weekend to wrench, let me know. The project looks as fun as you described it last month.

:cheers:

Cameron:

This is a great time to do the following:

1. Front panhard to frame mount side: reinforce that area really well.

2. Reinforce PS gear box at frame as well. These are known areas of stress. Measure 3 times, weld once.

3. Front control arm to axle housing brackets: reinforce these as well. Known area of breakage.

4. 105 series PS gear box upgrade with the pitman arm and new sector shaft. This is worth it in the long run as we all know.

5. New bushings for the panhard as well as the front control arm bushings.

6. Reinforce front sway bar to axle housing brackets. These can easily get ripped off.

Man... if you want me to come up for a weekend to wrench, let me know. The project looks as fun as you described it last month.

:cheers:

New Year's weekend. Bring it.

:beer:

Not exactly sure why but they did leaf SOA my pig 80 ff axle. Food for thought anyway...

I believe a ff is a much easier trail repair with a FF(unless the shaft is twisted)
20150925_181355.jpg

Last edited:
Not exactly sure why but the leaf SOA my pig 80 ff axle. Food for thought anyway...

I believe a ff is a much easier trail repair with a FF(unless the shaft is twisted)
View attachment 1179522

Probably for the extra width over a 40/55/60 axle, plus the FF bling factor. Or the rear disc brakes. It's just an excellent choice!

I do have a full floater housing and shafts, but it is DIRTY inside & out, and missing all of the brake parts and e-brake bits and pieces. It needs a weekend worth of work to be a user.

image.jpeg

If I build the rear with the SF stuff, the FF will be a bolt in deal after I freshen it up and put my ARB diff in. The mounts are the same.

Does anybody make a hub end cap for these for a trail repair? What do you do if you snap a shaft on the trail? Leave the end open and stuff rags in the hole? Leave the broken shaft in?

Last edited:
Pretty sure a front drive flange will bolt on tho I have never tried it myself. Also, you will want the e-brake cable from a FF truck complete from the hand brake to axle when you do that axle swap. That was the hardest part of the swap when I did my 92. Also, pick up a brake master from a non ABS 93 model to get your proportioning right. Cool project!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom