Cam's FJ60 Gets Sprung (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pretty sure a front drive flange will bolt on tho I have never tried it myself. Also, you will want the e-brake cable from a FF truck complete from the hand brake to axle when you do that axle swap. That was the hardest part of the swap when I did my 92. Also, pick up a brake master from a non ABS 93 model to get your proportioning right. Cool project!

Sweet! I'll have two extra front flanges since I plan on running my locking hubs. (I would have loved to run the 80 t-case and have full time 4wd, but that's too involved of a project for now.)

Maybe @beno can drop off an ebrake cable on his way to Maine.

I did make sure to grab the brake master from the (non ABS) donor (plus the booster), so I should be set. Did it work well when you switched to discs?

It was a noticeable difference but still not what I was looking for. I need to upgrade the fronts to the later set up to get all the good out of the system. Still gotta switch my locker over too.

100 series pads help a lot

I've got the 93/94, so non-abs, semi-float drum rear, but has the 16" wheels. Do I have the bigger rotors & calipers up front or did that start with the disc rear/ABS era trucks?

Last edited:
Pretty sure you're going to have the later larger discs and calipers up front. But it isn't like 80 series brakes are all that great. Adequate at best.

But still, they were obviously using stuff up. I've even seen a 94 that had a rear semifloat axle.

I've got the 93/94, so non-abs, semi-float drum rear, but has the 16" wheels. Do I have the bigger rotors & calipers or did that start with the disc rear/ABS era trucks?
Don't think the rears changed. I was talking about upgrading my front next. Sorry I wasn't clear

Don't think the rears changed. I was talking about upgrading my front next. Sorry I wasn't clear

You were clear. I was wondering which front stuff I had. C-Drew thinks it the bigger stuff.

Measure front rotor thickness on the donor. The later ones are over an inch, 1.26" x 12.26" dia, and the early model rotors are 1" x 11.25"

If they are early model then the upgrade to later stuff is worth doing while your in there, but you will need calipers to go along with the rotors and pads.

Last edited:
Awesome Cam!...would love to come help! Holla if you need something, I also have a chassis minus the axles...and maybe some other parts, anyway holla if you need something.

It is so great to see some wrenching happening again in Cottonland....I may begin getting on MUD a lot more!

We're going to do the front New Years weekend (gotta drive it to work on Monday). All are invited. There is even free camping in my yard.

The neighbors will love this too. Maybe shunt will show up with the mobile love shack and yall can karaoke all night long??

The neighbors will love this too. Maybe shunt will show up with the mobile love shack and yall can karaoke all night long??

I've got water and 'lectric hook ups!

Can we leave our deuces behind or do you enforce a leave no trace policy.

We do have indoor plumbing, but if you prefer to #2 in the wild, you are more than welcome. Just do it in the neighbor's yard.

...The only thing I'll need to make it fully functional is a new driveshaft, since the 80 front has a different flange than the 60 front. Does anyone know if the flange from the bigger diffs will fit on the 80 front? ...

While the front drive shaft length may have to change, as I remember the 80 flange is round and big, so you could just drill it for the existing 60 pattern.

I hate to derail the thread and get technical, but after looking at Cruiser Outfitters' and Marlin's websites, I think I can just swap the rear 80 pinion flange and put it on the front diff. Both are showing the flanges as 21 spline and both sell universal flanges that fit multiple bolt patterns.

Then I can re-use my existing front DS, adjusting the length as needed. This will also give me one size u-joint and DS bolt to keep track of (the 80 fronts are different). Plus I'm not sure I trust myself to drill the flange and keep it in balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom