camping trailer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2fpower

SILVER Star
Threads
So who has the knowledge about building a camping trailer?

Plan is to make a small trailer for taking wheeling, to make basecamp, new to me RTT on top, kind of like this. Want to build frame out of steel, and the rest out of aluminum.

First question I have is what suspension parts to use?

I like the idea of independant suspension, and found these....

Timbren Heavy-Duty Axle-Less Trailer Suspension - 4" Lift Spindle - Off-Road Tires - 3,500 lbs

However, my original plan was to use leaf springs, but attach it to a unlocked rear 80 axle. That way parts are available if ever needed on the trails.

Here are a few pics I have been saving.

I like the batwing and tent on this one, and the kitchen setup. I would want the sides of the trailer taller and no top access to inner storage. I would also want to be able to raise and lower the sides of the tent platform.

dsc_0147.jpg

66b626c2-0400-478a-974b-a7e23c0754f0_460_307.jpg

xventurexv-2trailer-19.jpg

This is the one that @UZJ40 built. Lot of great ideas there.

Off Road Trailer Build

DSC02223.jpg

Last edited:
I've built 2 and sold both of them. See "offroad trailer build" below. Things I learned. RTT are great but setting them up in the dark and in the rain in Colorado is a PITA. The cover is hard to unzip in the rain and in the dark, especially if mounted up high so you can use the annex room that attaches to it. Annex room, a super, major PITA to attach in the rain and in the dark. Then after 3-4 days of rain, you have to pack it all up and get the hell out of there! lol

I had a instant hot water shower attached to mine. It was a ecco temp or something like that. It worked great here in Oklahoma in the heat, once we got to camp in the mountains, it barely heated the water from the tank. I wouldn't suggest that one for sure. I'd go with the turtle trailer idea with an actual 6 gallon hot water heater, like I did on my first trailer built "hot water box build". see link below

I pulled mine through and over Stoney Pass, Colorado (60 miles or more), it did great! Although I about tipped it over on a very crossed up section.

Suspension wise, both were simple leaf springs, nothing fancy, seemed to work just fine on and off road.

I pulled mine from OKC area to Ridgeway, Co area. Driving an 80 with 315's fully loaded with 4 peoples stuff is hard enough, then add a trailer with a RTT and some good ole Oklahoma head wind and you have yourself a trip from hell! I had it floored most of the way there and back.

My experience isn't like everyone else but I decided to sell it when we got home, 4 people in a RTT/annex room in the rain and cold in the mountains just plain ole sucks.

My cousin who lives in Colorado has a popup that he drags literally everywhere with his 80. Stock suspension, stock size tires. I literally had popup envy as he pulled up, unhitched, raised the roof and pulled the beds out. Then he flipped on the heater.....meanwhile I'm soaked and cold with nowhere warm or dry to go....any whooo that's my 2 cents!!

52E2E416-7695-42B1-8D61-99A150DDFF98.jpeg

DB87D6A0-2B61-4AE0-AF81-A0F787223DF6.jpeg

F8E73C40-27CD-4B54-BA70-6C2A705ACD98.jpeg

177A2120-B2E3-4307-B192-E002BA59BBAB.jpeg

2C8FD160-894D-469D-B214-707797374CD6.jpeg

Leaf springs all the way. There is really no benefit to independent. Most I have seen have less clearance over all than my leaf spring set up with a drop axle. Look for long flat leafsprings with a shock and done. Probably any stock 40 or 60 series spring or Jeep Wrangler YJ should be cheap if not free.

@2fpower I originally considered those exact axles when I was going to scratch build a trailer. I decided 3500's were way to big since the dampening is built in. If you have the 3500 lbs rubber in the suspension its probably going to ride like a brick wagon with all the more you will put in it. 2200lbs would be ideal but I don't know if they can be had in 6 bolt pattern. I then looked at @cjmoon drop hub solid axle and thought that might be the way to go. After seeing just how much clearance you can get under a solid or torsion axle, and how simple and cheap they are, I would go that route. Most likely a Dexter torsion at around 2000lbs.

I really thought I would be slowing down the pace last summer. With the trailer. Loaded with 1 broken down dual sport bike and gear I was setting the pace and having to check the rains. My coilovers and low lift where making my cruiser glid over the roads way better than I ever suspected. I was iffy on performance outcome before my trip but can say after it is spectacular , leaf springs offer a more linear loading so heavy or light the ride will be the same. More travel to absorbed the bumps. If your trailer has one purpose and loads that are constant. The timberin might be a solution. I really don’t believe it is. Adding shocks give a wider range of use in variable loads with traditional coil or leaf spring (long leaf springs my not trailer leaf spring) set ups. Standard trailer leaf springs are short and heavy accepting very small movement for the weight rating. The trick is to allow the ability to asorbe the bumps with travel.

My $.02

Been thinking about the trailer build again. Need to get it done for Moab next year. Debating making one myself from scratch or buying.

The Smittybuilt is $5k but has lots of nice features like the parking brake, the independent axles, and many features I want. I can't find that style suspension pieces anywhere except Australia, and my second choice is going to be $1k just for the axles, and I don't think they will be as nice and bulletproof as the Smittybuilt.

Timbren Heavy-Duty Axle-Less Trailer Suspension - Straight Spindle - Off-Road Tires - 3,500 lbs Timb

Here is the smittbuilt. Would have to get 5 to 6 bolt adapters for the wheels. It would be best to find a used one of these, but good luck, the ones I have seen sell quick for 80% of new.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/smitt...5151!&ef_id=U0C4XwAABfsx2j5g:20181023172012:s

@2fpower have you thought about buying an old 1/4 or 3/4 ton mil trailer and just modifying it ? That takes care of a huge and stressful part of the build process, which is laying out a frame, getting it square, getting the draw bar and axle square, shock and suspension mounts, making fenders, etc.

@2fpower have you thought about buying an old 1/4 or 3/4 ton mil trailer and just modifying it ? That takes care of a huge and stressful part of the build process, which is laying out a frame, getting it square, getting the draw bar and axle square, shock and suspension mounts, making fenders, etc.

Thought about.... some. After seeing several builds, that part does not bother me too much, except if I was to want an aluminum frame. Then I was going to purchase the frame. Found Aluma trailers; however, the size i want are only rated to about 1,500 lbs, and I think that loaded with water, I could be around 2k.

Thought about.... some. After seeing several builds, that part does not bother me too much, except if I was to want an aluminum frame. Then I was going to purchase the frame. Found Aluma trailers; however, the size i want are only rated to about 1,500 lbs, and I think that loaded with water, I could be around 2k.

Why not just chop up one (or two) of the trucks on the back 40 and use the axle already under it, place a lift gate on both ends, and you have a trailer! Keep it long enough to put a RTT on it. This way your axles match for parts. You can gut the diff to reduce weight and just plate the hubs to keep the grease in. Your trailer tires can match your truck tires. You could even hook up the brakes if you wanted and maintain a parking brake on the axle to keep it in place.

I know I've seen another post on here that someone did something similar with an 80.

Why not just chop up one (or two) of the trucks on the back 40 and use the axle already under it, place a lift gate on both ends, and you have a trailer! Keep it long enough to put a RTT on it. This way your axles match for parts. You can gut the diff to reduce weight and just plate the hubs to keep the grease in. Your trailer tires can match your truck tires. You could even hook up the brakes if you wanted and maintain a parking brake on the axle to keep it in place.

I know I've seen another post on here that someone did something similar with an 80.

Definately thought about that; however, the 80 frame has the rear frame "hump" that makes it very high for a box. Could base it on a 40 frame, but at that point, why not just make you own???

After building a multi use trailer please ask I’ll give you more info than you’d ever need needed it’s hard to give a down load on the forum. I’d do it different on a second round. Have thought about selling To do round 2 on a custom built round 2 without using OEM bed. But my OEM Datsun bed gets more comments than my 4bt cruiser with all custom parts. It’s crazy and hard to give up that aspect also.

Frame and suspension design I’d duplicate. 100%. I love it, but there are more than 1 way to accomplish the same results.

After building a multi use trailer please ask I’ll give you more info than you’d ever need needed it’s hard to give a down load on the forum. I’d do it different on a second round. Have thought about selling To do round 2 on a custom built round 2 without using OEM bed. But my OEM Datsun bed gets more comments than my 4bt cruiser with all custom parts. It’s crazy and hard to give up that aspect also.

Frame and suspension design I’d duplicate. 100%. I love it, but there are more than 1 way to accomplish the same results.

Sounds like I need to take you out to lunch again.... These get to be expensive lunches..... last time we planned out the portal axles.

@2fpower have you checked expo portal classifieds? Check this out: Camping trailer

There’s also a whole thread on the Smittybilt Scout trailer.

thanks for the link @BigRedOne75 , will watch that site. Just joined up there yesterday as there are a bunch of great builds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom