Camping out of a 100 Series (Our How-To) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Over the last 3 summers, we’ve gotten a lot of questions on how we make it work with our 5 kids. I was encouraged by @ClassyJalopy to create a thread and hopefully inspire a few more people to get out and explore. So here is a comprehensive list of what we take, and I will eventually add pictures of how it’s all packed in.
If I can, I will also add links to where you can get them yourself. Obviously every family is different, so adjust as necessary for your comfort/ number of campers.

1. (1) Jerry can style 6 gal. water jug
2. (4) Costco 27 gal. Totes
3. 1 hitch basket (500lb rating)
4. 12v/ 110v inverter w/ usb chargers
5. MSR Dragonfly backpack stove (burns white gas, kerosene, diesel or unleaded) MSR Dragonfly Fuel Stove - https://www.madcityoutdoor.com/products/msr-dragonfly-fuel-stove
6. MSR 22oz white gas bottle/ white gas
7. Klymit Static V insulated sleeping pads (Costco often has deals) https://www.costco.com/klymit-insulated-static-v-sleeping-pad-with-x-pillow.product.100320380.html
8. Klymit Luxe pillows/ or Pillow X
9. Sleeping bags (good pack-ability) down fill is best
10. Walmart air mattresses (we use two twins and a full) - we have no experience with the heavier/ thicker ones or how long they last. Ours last a couple years.
11. Cheap sheet sets to fit the beds
12. Tarps - 1 big enough for your tent so it’s never on the ground, 1 to put the totes on to keep them out of the dirt/ sand/ mud
13. Gazelle T8 Hub Tent (we paid about $350 in 2019, but they’re much more now. About 52 lbs) Gazelle GT800SS T8 Extra Large 4 to 8 Person Capacity Family Portable Instant Pop Up Outdoor Shelter Camping Hub Tent, Orange Amazon product ASIN B08C5P67BS14. Tent stakes ($1 each at Walmart for aluminum or big steel nail style) - the supplied ones are terrible for anything other than soft sand. Hammer.
15. Cinch strap with clip (only one with the tent, two is much better) BootYo! PackYo! Utility Straps/Cinch lash Strap with Quick Release Buckle by Mt Sun Gear. Great for Backpacking, air mattresses, Sleeping Bags (Pair) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y9AK20U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Z82Y0YHR2YYMGY4NA87N
16. Cinch straps for holding the tent on the roof rack (Cheap ones at Harbor Freight) 1 in. x 12 ft. Lashing Straps 2 Pk - https://www.harborfreight.com/set-of-2-1-inch-x-12-ft-lashing-straps-67386.html
17. Ratchet straps for the totes and my gas can (I use a 2 gallon can) https://www.costco.com/cat-ratchet-tie-downs-1.5"-x-16'-4-piece.product.100718855.html
18. GAIA GPS app for you phone. Free and unlimited tracks. I’ve used it many times to get “unlost” and find our way back while driving or hiking. (See Photo)
19. 12v booster pack - In case the 12v battery or cell phone is dead. If you have kids this will happen. https://www.costco.com/type-s-12v-j...ah-portable-power-bank.product.100681300.html
20. Backpacks (kids book bag sized). We can find these all day at thrift stores for $1-$2, so no worries on getting them dirty. Perfect for a long weekend, and they pack well together in the back.
21. Air compressor/ air line/ tire gauge/ deflator tools (I have on board air, but took one before) the difference in bumpy dirt road on 20 psi vs 35-40 is huge. Many other reasons. GODESON Tire Deflator,4 in 1 Solid Brass Easy Storage and Using Tire Air Down Tool,Tire Pressure Deflators for Offroad Vehicle Amazon product ASIN B07X8VY6QD22. Grocery bags - dirty clothes and shoes can be stuffed almost anywhere without killing the leather
23. Flashlights: my preferences are magnetic/ rechargeable, and rechargeable headlamps https://www.walmart.com/ip/Life-Gear-USB-Rechargeable-Powerbank-Camping-Lantern-3-7-Volt/540252374 or https://www.costco.com/feit-rechargeable-led-headlamp,-2-pack.product.100526075.html
24. Personal protection (whether that’s bear spray, a knife, or high speed bullet dispenser)
25. Basic French press for coffee (makes a quart, always better than drip) https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-...-French-Press-32-oz-Stainless-Steel/785450703
26. TP rolls
27. Pack shovel https://www.rhinousainc.com/products/rhino-usa-survival-shovel
28. Food: Mac and cheese/ spaghetti and sauce are staples. Canned chicken breast adds protein. Dry granola bars. Powdered coffee creamer. Coffee. Oatmeal. Cereal/ milk 1st couple days. PB/jelly/bread. Spice kit. Drink mixes (just water gets old- Gatorade/ Iced Tea/ Lemonade). Eggs/ Cheese 1st few days. Anything you make with hot water. We’ve done MREs, but they can get expensive.
29. Pot/ pan/ utensils/ plates/ bowls (choose ones that nest together to save room). Dish soap/ wash cloth/ towel
30. Various other camping things (clothes line or paracord), seats- we have 3, just cushions, magnesium fire starter, matches and lighter, synthetic chamois (the Absorber), table cloth, dryer lint or other fire starting material, heavy plastic liner
30. Camera/ memory cards

The four totes end up weighing about 200-210lbs combined (80ish for the food tote, 30ish for the sleeping bags, and 50ish each for the camping gear). I add the gas can to the lighter side to balance the weight, and put the two heaviest on the bottom to keep the weight as low as possible.
As I have more time and see all my mistakes I will add pics and links/ update/ edit/ etc.

3BF934B5-4A6A-4361-AB17-62107F0529DC.jpeg

B82C3A18-DF12-4148-9D79-80769E23A282.jpeg

Last edited:
The cooler! Cheap igloo works for us. I put in a radiant barrier (leftover from my attic), and use a block of ice instead of a bag. Works great for what it is even in triple digit heat.

A726DFFA-E65D-4750-833B-A3D8FEE6671A.jpeg

Excellent thread! Thanks for sharing.

How do you take care of the nature breaks?

Tool kit: very basic setup, but two 10 mm, just in case. All fits in a soft canvas bag. Air hose and gauge fit under the back seat (or my feet) and the tire gauge and brass deflation tools fit in the door pocket.

BEEBEE14-B3B1-4101-B693-20759F36DFC0.jpeg

D0311A7C-3060-4602-B1ED-7B6461E9559F.jpeg

5BCBD602-6222-4296-A311-470F0D3AEE5D.jpeg

Often there are even very remote campsites w/ pit toilets. Otherwise #1 behind a tree, #2 we use the camp shovel. Cedar Mesa Campground off of Notom-Bullfrog Rd is probably 30 miles from the nearest flush toilet. But it had fire rings, tables and a pit toilet.
Excellent thread! Thanks for sharing.

How do you take care of the nature breaks?

92AEA7CE-603C-4575-8B17-2AF155E3B1E8.png

Last edited:
good comprehensive list, one day ill get my act together. I always seem to forget something when we go out or bring to much of another. my wife is always saying I should make a list :confused:

Flashlight Kit: all rechargeable, tiny headlamp (L) Streamlight Bandit - very light; good for up close use.

Feit Electric (R) flashlight has magnetic base and bends 90deg./ (I have 3) headlamp is better for hiking (very bright!). Also, blink/ solid red, blue, green LED (I have 3).

LifeGear camping light (Walmart). Pleasantly surprised- magnetic, dimmable, best for lighting inside the tent or work area, and has usb for small power bank for phone- light on dim lasts forever.

150w inverter- strong enough to charge 3 devices at once (even a full size laptop). They fit in a small zipper bag. (Except the inverter, which is out and being used on a trip).

5200 mAh power bank.

6D09BD02-062B-4CC2-BADF-AF2C382667DE.jpeg

B98B9FEC-3B64-45B4-BB34-54EE9798F9E8.jpeg

3670ECA1-16B0-476C-89E7-B5EC36B2BA9E.jpeg

I thought I had it tough camping with 4 kids! Sometimes it's tough to fit everything in for sure.

I just bought one of these rooftop storage bags from Ironman. It's about 12" tall, and it pretty much takes up the entire roof of my LX. I'm excited to use it for our next camping trip. I already test-fit two small folding tables, six camping chairs, a tent, a tote, six sleeping bags, and a few sleeping mats in the thing. I think I could have fit more in, so I'm working to perfect the organization.

By the way, that's an awesome area that you're exploring on that map. I took my kids up there in February, and we spent a few days exploring everything between Page and Kanab. I definitely want to get back up there.

I thought I had it tough camping with 4 kids! Sometimes it's tough to fit everything in for sure.

I just bought one of these rooftop storage bags from Ironman. It's about 12" tall, and it pretty much takes up the entire roof of my LX. I'm excited to use it for our next camping trip. I already test-fit two small folding tables, six camping chairs, a tent, a tote, six sleeping bags, and a few sleeping mats in the thing. I think I could have fit more in, so I'm working to perfect the organization.

By the way, that's an awesome area that you're exploring on that map. I took my kids up there in February, and we spent a few days exploring everything between Page and Kanab. I definitely want to get back up there.
We were given a similar bag when moving cross country from PA in 2018. 2/4 buckles broke within 1,000 miles, and our trip was 2,200 miles. But it was not new. It was helpful, as we needed every bit of space. I’m not sure how well it would stay tight with all the vibration on the long washboard roads. And when we did use it, I put down rubberized drawer liner 1st, to protect the paint on our van. You can fit a TON of stuff in them, though!

We were given a similar bag when moving cross country from PA in 2018. 2/4 buckles broke within 1,000 miles, and our trip was 2,200 miles. But it was not new. It was helpful, as we needed every bit of space. I’m not sure how well it would stay tight with all the vibration on the long washboard roads. And when we did use it, I put down rubberized drawer liner 1st, to protect the paint on our van. You can fit a TON of stuff in them, though!
That's a bummer! I'm hoping this thing holds up good. The straps and buckles on it are really heavy duty and it looks like it's going to be incredibly weather resistant. Fortunately, I have a roof rack that should keep it in place nicely, but I'll be the guinea pig and see how it does.

Keep in mind that some of our camping gear is almost 20 years old (pan, stove, seats, probably the sheets) and we’ve been collecting ever since, as needed.
This thread was expensive for a newbie but thank you for posting! 😂🤦🏼‍♂️

We use this almost exclusively, and it has done very well for us

Last edited:
I would love to drive up on a scale and see! Our 8 passengers weighed approximately 875lbs, +210 on the hitch basket + 52 on the roof w/ the tent +gas can, water, 8 backpacks of clothes, cooler, drone …and my wife’s growing collection of rocks throughout the trip. On the plus side, I’ve lost almost 40 lbs this year, so that helps.
No disrespect intended. Have you weighed the vehicle empty & fully loaded?

I ask because I am amassed how much my s&$t weighs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom