Camp shower enclosures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hiillary (Sears) Privacy tent

The price was right ($50+/-), but aside from just an online picture and no reviews that I could find, I bought one anyways.
Set up was relatively painless, the usual corded fibreglass pole sections and some corded steel sections for the main frame.
It has a floor, with a mesh around the perimeter. I am 6' tall and come to about the top of the bottom of the domed roof screen, so there is plenty of headroom.
Mine is missing the hanging storage rack, it looked like the box mine came had been returned at one point. Overall quality seems decent, much better than what I expected for the price. It has plenty of floor space inside at 4'x4', room enough to mount the Coleman shower (thats the bag you will see in the pictures) once I find some kind of stand for it.
I didn't put the fly on, but it clips onto the steel poles and then tethers down to hold it in the wind. Overall it seems pretty sturdy, now only time will tell.
The kids seemed to like it anyways.

Oh yah, and it even rolled back up to fit in the storage bag :)
ptent (1).jpg
ptent (2).jpg

I broke out the Cabelas one a few weeks back, well sort of.
I never took it out of the stuff case after reading more on how much effort it is to set up, so I ended up buying an Outback Privy.

Set it up last weekend to see how easy it was, and it is.
Takes a bit of practice to fold it back up, but once you get the hang of it, it is OK.
Overall I am pretty impressed with this new shelter.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

The outback is the bomb, I bought one for $49 on clearance from BassPro in a pinch and love it. You have to read the instruction not look at the pictures, and like a pro you'll be folding this thing like a pro. Do no attempt while intoxicated as you will just break it.

Aaron

I got this from Wal-Mart for under $40 and it held up good when we used it - it's an Ozark brand. Really well built and easy to setup with or without instructions.

IMG_0374.jpg

My outback porta-privy has held up very well for at least 2-3 years now. I agree with the comment about getting familiar with how it folds up. Just think of it as a very large sun shade for your car that has two circular bands that fold up...only bigger! Once you get the hang of it no problems. Pops open and folds out in seconds and take down about the same.

How are you liking the Coleman hot water heater?

The Coleman had feature I could not find in any other portable heater. When turning off and on it switches both the pump and the heater. On a week long trip, this is critical for saving water. I can take a comfortable shower with only a couple gallons. Turn it on with instant hot water, turn it off and soap up. Turn it back on to rinse off.

I broke out the Cabelas one a few weeks back, well sort of.
I never took it out of the stuff case after reading more on how much effort it is to set up, so I ended up buying an Outback Privy.

Set it up last weekend to see how easy it was, and it is.
Takes a bit of practice to fold it back up, but once you get the hang of it, it is OK.
Overall I am pretty impressed with this new shelter.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg
This looks like a great design!

Here's my setup from the last bush trip 2 weeks ago - cheap...
Shovel jammed in roof rack to hold up the solar shower and triangulate the tarp.
Heat the water in a steel bucket on the fire & pour into solar shower.
Park on a rock outcrop so the feet aren't in the mud. Total cost essentially $0 :)

oz2k9_19.jpg

cheers,
george.

Now that is getto fabulous... I Love it! I'll have to post some pix of my Whiskey Tango retractable awning :grinpimp:

So is that a glory hole in the outback privy?

Aaron

Kmart has a double one I want to check out. Otherwise I will proabaly just pick up the Wallyworld one.

An update to the Hillary tent I purchased back in May.

I have used this 3 or 4 times now, and it was very easy to set up and take down. With a 48" sq. foot print there is sufficient room to shower in, and plenty of head room for me at 6' tall.

The only con, is the 2 roof poles. They require a fair bit of tension to bend them into shape, and after I was packing it up from it's last use , I noticed that one of the roof poles had snapped. Apparently this is a very common problem with these units.
I phoned Sears, but tents are 'seasonal' products and they only give a 30 day warranty, they did give me the number of the manufacturer, HKD International. I just got off the phone with them, and it has a 6 month warranty, and they will be sending me out some new roof poles, along with an interior storage hanger thing that was missing.
I can only assume the poles will break again, but until then it will have to do.

edit: Looking at their website, they seem to be the major tent supplier to damn near everyone.

Last edited:
Update here: I picked up the Kmart double one. It went up fine in the backyard the first time. When we went camping there was a sleight breeze and it was 10x harder to put up. Another fellow ExPo guy had an Outback privy. I need to find one of those.

I have updated pics of my Outback Privy.
It worked out great on my last trip, and it was also easy to shower in.

Had a hard time shutting the zipper all the way, it wanted to open up after you zipped it.
Could have been the tautness of it staked out, I do now know.
It is certainly better than the one that came with my PETT toilet though.

outback_porta_privy2.jpg

2.jpg

I have the PETT enclosure, and I did not care for it on my trip last summer.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/camping-outdoor-gear/235997-camping-gear-reviews-ton.html

The guy line ropes are to slippery, and would not stay taut.
I have since then bought the Cabelas enclosure, but have not set it up yet.
I will before I start camping this season though.

It is much bigger than the PETT one.
Cabelas shower enclosure

s7_516873_imageset_01

cabelas version is great. Very large unit with lots of shelves and netting to help hold all you shower items. Towel bar on the outside. Floor is a must. very tall. You could easily have 2 people in it at one time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom