Camp and Shoot 12/15/17 also maybe xmas party? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thought I should start a food post for Fri and Sat night. We will probably do lunch on our own. Anyone have anything planned?

Hey everyone - I will be heading out Saturday morning and leaving Sunday. What is the plan for Saturday night dinner / Xmas party? Are we all pitching in with a dish / drinks? I will also bring some firewood to contribute.

I am thinking we should all bring a dish or side for saturday night (potluck). BBQ them ok with everyone?

Sounds good to me. I'll bring the Blackstone flat top and lots of propane. I also have some brews to contribute to the cause.

Friday, I am picking up my son at 3:30 in Linda Vista and with traffic I probably will need 2-2.5 hours to get there. I am thinking of keeping it easy for Friday and just do burgers.

If bbq is the theme for Saturday, I can bring potato salad and bbq sauce.

Frank

Ok - ill bring some Brauts and a side.

All sounds good. I'll bring banana pudding for pot luck dessert on Sat and a few random BBQ items and and extra beers.

Due to my restricted diet I'll take care of my own food, but will bring extra beer to share. I'll have some El Nopalito chips and salsa too.

Eric, the friend of mine at the last meeting, might come out. It'd be just him as his wife has to work. He'll be in a Tacoma
Yeah, that's me. Upstairs bathroom sewer pipe decided to crack and I have dry wall mush behind my kitchen walls. I have to wait for some people to come by tomorrow. I will try and back up and may make it out there Saturday. Its all a big maybe now.

Never been to the shooting area out there. Certainly heard it enough times from Fish Creek. I see a few dirt roads on BLM land around there on Gaia. Prob easy to find but do you have Lat/Lon?

Never been to the shooting area out there. Certainly heard it enough times from Fish Creek. I see a few dirt roads on BLM land around there on Gaia. Prob easy to find but do you have Lat/Lon?
It's off Split Mountain road. Fish Creek is off to the right, shooting range is to the left. Just follow the train tracks. You can also search Google Maps for the BLM Shoot Spot in Ocotillo. Google Maps - https://www.google.com/maps/place/Shoot+spot+Bureau+of+Land+Management/@33.067408,-116.1506981,13.02z/data=!4m11!1m3!2m2!1socotillo+shooting+range!6e1!3m6!1s0x80d98a797bf3e9e1:0xdf6b087e48b3875!8m2!3d33.0415366!4d-116.0846651!15sChdvY290aWxsbyBzaG9vdGluZyByYW5nZVoZIhdvY290aWxsbyBzaG9vdGluZyByYW5nZZIBDnNob290aW5nX3JhbmdlmgEkQ2hkRFNVaE5NRzluUzBWSlEwRm5TVU5zT0RjeWMyaDNSUkFC4AEA!16s%2Fg%2F11b71l3178?entry=ttu

Yeah, that's me. Upstairs bathroom sewer pipe decided to crack and I have dry wall mush behind my kitchen walls. I have to wait for some people to come by tomorrow. I will try and back up and may make it out there Saturday. Its all a big maybe now.
That's not fun. We'll have the BnT banner and will be on comms so if you can make it we'll be sure to find each other.

Frank

That was one fun trip. My pictures are loading and I'll post em up soon.

Frank

Had a great time on the trip. Here are a couple pics I took.

IMG_5445.jpeg

IMG_5450.jpeg

We had an eventful trip as usual. It's funny but do you ever notice you must get a lot of exercise when camping due to how tired you are the day after you get home?

Anyway, many of us made our way out Friday night. MTN RNR was there first and got the lay of the land. He helped us locate the campsite we used in January which is large and flat. Phulcrum and Honky Tonka came in later and we had a quick dinner. Bacon wrapped hotdogs hit the spot!

1703008736666.jpeg

We then enjoyed the fire with top shelf tequila and whiskey supported by cigars. It was fun. So fun my head hurt in the morning.
1703008834211.jpeg

The next morning got busy with a proper breakfast.
1703008906288.jpeg

1703008924022.jpeg

1703008883593.jpeg

After breakfast we made a quick plan to do a few hours of wheeling, lunch, then shoot. Wyatt got a quick start on wheeling.
1703009012337.jpeg

Eddie and CoreDawg01 joined up and we headed out east to the rail road trestle. Tim noted that he always wanted to to there but something always came up to prevent it. The silt was blinding at times with only 30' or so of visibility.
1703009117528.jpeg

This about when things got interesting. MTN RNR was leading and encountered some side by sides that said there was a woman walking along the tracks that needed help. She and here boyfriend got stuck last night and had to spend the night out there. Her boyfriend was with the truck. She hopped in with MTN RNR and we had ourselves a mission - Operation Rescue the 2WD truck in the wash. On the way my kiddo Daniel took some pics of the group driving.

1703009371461.jpeg

1703009382307.jpeg

1703009413261.jpeg

Remember how I mentioned going to the trestle was always thwarted by something? We this is where things get interesting. After picking up the girlfriend, we doubled back to find the truck. I went north about 400-500 yards to help canvas more area. After 10 minutes or so of driving I see someone with no shirt on walking through the desert flagging me down. I divert to check it out. Upon exiting the 80 I see that he is extremely distraught. He was sobbing uncontrollably and was unable to form words. I asked if he was injured and didn't say yes but also struggled to say no. Having no shirt it was clear he didn't have any obvious external injuries. He did say something that sounded like "She left...". I assured him he was going to be Ok and that we are all here to help. Putting 2 and 2 together I figured he was the boyfriend which turned out to be the case. When the rest of the group diverted to my location she did her best to calm him. She had instructed him to stay with the truck while she got help but he decided to do otherwise. In the process, he dragged their cooler and forgot where left it. We gave them water and assessed the best plan to find the truck which ended up a couple of us heading out while the rest worked out getting these two into my truck and on the way.

We found the truck in quick order and started the extraction. I only have this one picture since I was busy hooking up the tow strap and all the fun stuff.
1703010140249.jpeg

The girlfriend took me aside and told me that her boyfriend was suffering from brain atrophy which explained quite a bit. It's sad and I can't imagine how hard it is to have someone slowly slipping away. Suffice to say, he left the truck, became confused, alone, scared, and I am glad we found him. This is one of those situations that could have turned out tragically given it was getting into the high 30's at night.

We learned that she collects the brass from the range to make artwork. They had a tote with about 200lb or so of brass that they removed from the bed to lighten the truck. Of course in this case they should have left it up against the tailgate for traction and to unload the front a bit. Same would have been true for the cooler which they unloaded to reduce overall weight. They were also driving on their spare due to the right front blowing out a month ago. They did have some traction strips but otherwise were very unprepared and in the wrong vehicle for the conditions.

We got them out and gave them some food and more water back at camp. We then loaded up to shoot and parted ways.

We headed east to an area that had a gong set up in the distance. We used my truck to power the thrower.
1703010695113.jpeg

We set up a nice variety of targets, spinners, silhouettes, and a mannequin named Margaret that we swear said Jeeps where better than Toyotas!

I got to dial the sight in on my AR bit better. I could probably use a tiny bit more tweaking but it was improved and I moved on to shooting other stuff. I'd say this target was about 30 yards or so out.

Before adjustment...
1703010871092.jpeg

After adjustment. It's still a little high but hitting the red now.
1703010890445.jpeg

This was Daniel's birthday trip and he sure did have fun.

1703011031771.jpeg

As the sun set we packed up to head back to camp. Cruisers and shells.... maybe we should rename this trip...

1703011316521.jpeg

I have a few videos I can show next meeting but dinner was amazing. We had tri tip, kielbasa, potato salad, ranch beans... so much goodness.
1703011358810.jpeg

1703011369740.jpeg

We finished off the night with campfire time and beers.

In the morning we had another epic breakfast. This time it was bacon, chorizo, hash browns, and eggs.

1703011454616.jpeg

1703011470849.jpeg

With breakfast done we loaded up and departed for home.

You might have seen a couple of ebikes a few up. Daniel and I were hoping to do some exploring one them. My bike had other plans and decide to eject the rear wheel. Despite my best efforts to torque the daylights out of the nuts it kept twisting itself out of the dropouts so that plan was scrapped. Instead I let Daniel drive the 80 which totally made his day. Well not to be outdone, the Arctodus decided to do the same. As we made the right hand turn from 79 onto 76 the Arctudus ejected it's right rear tire. Luckily the wheel bumped into the street sign instead of the gulley below. I don't have too many pictures due to being busy getting tools and all the fun stuff. The spacer lugs had sheared likely due to being loose (the other side wasn't very tight while the fronts were extremely tight) so we just removed the spacer and reused its lug nuts on the original studs. With the wheel reinstalled we headed home without further incident.

1703011786036.jpeg

1703011798008.jpeg

Anyway, that's a wrap for the Camp and Shoot or maybe future Cruisers and Shells!

Frank

Awesome write up and photos Frank! Great food, great stories, great people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom