Calling All FJ25 Experts. Need help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Indygbd

SILVER Star
Threads
I have a 1958 FJ25 that I am tryng to get some information on. Let me here your thoughts.
Questions.
1. Why does this fj25 have different transfer case set up with separate hand brake?
2. Original color. Appears to be yellow or blue. I think yellow. What do you think?
3. I think this is a U.S. version. English in the data plate. English on the air cleaner. Your thoughts?
4. FST door safety strap loop appears to be lower than my 1960 version. Any idea?
5. What is with the odd oem tailgate instead of the regular fold down version?
6. Data plate is strange. All others I have seen are stamped like this. 8-FJ25-5501L. Mine has strange character then 5501L. Also, it's stamped FJ25 instead of J25 like most since it has Type F on the plate most are stamped just J25. Why? Symbol or character?

Yes, I have the title in my name, frame number matches, engine block number matches. Trans. and t-case are correct and have not been replaced.

20170823_102829.jpg

20171019_173106.jpg

20171019_173111.jpg

20171019_174320.jpg

20171019_173126.jpg

Last edited:
First pick below is my 1958. Second is the 1960 to compare. Same for next group showing the fst door loop locations. 5th pic below is my 58 engine number.

20171019_172955.jpg

20171019_173746.jpg

20171019_173013.jpg

20171019_173023.jpg

20171019_173151.jpg

Next 2 are tailgate photos. It's backed in Do can not get a good photo of it. The tailgate is rough and needs reproduced.
Last is label on the air cleaner.

20171019_173206.jpg

20170822_193026.jpg

20171019_173428.jpg

Similarly my 59 has got many similarities with mid to late 58’s. Wish I can throw some light on your data plate but I am no expert on cruisers to that extent. Toyota did many strange things back then that are not documented anywhere (For example my windshield hold catch, they look totally factory and doubt anyone would spend that sort of money to design one off, especially known catch are still easily available. @JohnnyC, @Cruiser_Nerd and @Living in the Past are your best bet.

Last edited:
I am no expert , but the plate looks like it was punched wrong. In the string on numbers , the "5" would be the last punch before the number of the vehicle, and I believe I can make the 5 out. Kind of like a typewriter writing over the same area. Look at a sample 61 and see if the string fits the area and do some detective work.

$_57.JPG

great find!!! I also have a fj25 1961... I am trying to leave it original... I am looking for the soft top and other stuff.... good luck in your process

IMG-20171005-WA0056.jpg

My 59 FJ25 has the door strap eye bolts in that lower position, I think the upper position of the eye bolt was a upgrade to make it safer maybe?? Might have been easier to fall out when the strap was mounted in the lower position. Not that the strap would really work better in either position. :)
I have seen that 4wd shifter on the passenger side of tranny hump on Central American models before, I have seen it up to 1960 on a FJ28. The data plate was also in English.
That tail gate looks like the STD type, but the parts book doesn't show it opening.Looks like it might be a Central America model??? I have never seen the STD type on US models.
I think the yellow paint might be primer? I have seen it on other Cruisers before.

My 59 FJ25 has the door strap eye bolts in that lower position, I think the upper position of the eye bolt was a upgrade to make it safer maybe?? Might have been easier to fall out when the strap was mounted in the lower position. Not that the strap would really work better in either position. :)
I have seen that 4wd shifter on the passenger side of tranny hump on Central American models before, I have seen it up to 1960 on a FJ28. The data plate was also in English.
That tail gate looks like the STD type, but the parts book doesn't show it opening.Looks like it might be a Central America model??? I have never seen the STD type on US models.
I think the yellow paint might be primer? I have seen it on other Cruisers before.
So do you think the color is actually dark blue? The red was definitely a repaint. It looks as if it could have had red primer originally and they painted yellow. The yellow looks shinny in places. The dark blue would be a cool color so I would not mind painting it that when I am ready.

Try looking for the color at the top of the frame, under the body where the sun hasn't been for a while. Mine has the yellow and was painted red.
I have seen red primer also.
Do your aprons have slots for another set of the rubber hood cushion?

Screen Shot 2017-10-20 at 12.20.01 PM.png

Try looking for the color at the top of the frame, under the body where the sun hasn't been for a while. Mine has the yellow and was painted red.
I have seen red primer also.
Do your aprons have slots for another set of the rubber hood cushion?

Pulled the hood cushions. Dark blue. Great idea.

View attachment 1558623

20171020_191916.jpg

I think I see the cream color mine was. How about checking the glove box, under the dash, inside tool box? And yes underneath the tub as that should be car color.

From what I see ... by the vin is that it is early 58' , according to registry it's the earliest 58' on there and not all that far production number wise to the 57's

I say the F was added later ... much different stamping then all the others ... basic capital F not like the others letters

The 'mistake' in front of the vin was most likely an '8' ... but... these AFAWK were stamped at port and it wasn't stamped as 8-FJ25-5501L... looks like it was stamped 8 then a large space then 5501L

I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of the cruisers sent over in the first boat load :meh:

Probably messed things up when needing to register it as the 85501L does not exist ... so stamp it out ... now all you see is the 5501L and 'whatever that thing is' before it

Tailgate is of the earlier cruiser styling as well as the three levers

Could have very well been one of the 60 or so sold in 59'

This all... IMHO

:meh:

Did you try and ask Toyota about the vin number? :hillbilly:

From what I see ... by the vin is that it is early 58' , according to registry it's the earliest 58' on there and not all that far production number wise to the 57's

I say the F was added later ... much different stamping then all the others ... basic capital F not like the others letters

The 'mistake' in front of the vin was most likely an '8' ... but... these AFAWK were stamped at port and it wasn't stamped as 8-FJ25-5501L... looks like it was stamped 8 then a large space then 5501L

I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of the cruisers sent over in the first boat load :meh:

Probably messed things up when needing to register it as the 85501L does not exist ... so stamp it out ... now all you see is the 5501L and 'whatever that thing is' before it

Tailgate is of the earlier cruiser styling as well as the three levers

Could have very well been one of the 60 or so sold in 59'

This all... IMHO

:meh:

Did you try and ask Toyota about the vin number? :hillbilly:
I did ask Toyota about the Vin#. No answer yet. Toyota just moved from CA. to Plano TX. and I was told that Toyota did boot keep good records here. What they did have is held in Japan and some is with the curator of Toyota's museum. They said they would get back to me however it might take a while.

Thanks for the input. I know it rare so I want to restore it.

Any idea of where I can find a tailgate like this? I can make one however a lot of work will go into that.

Keeping in mind chances of finding a later FJ25 tailgate itself is very remote yours is almost unobtainable. Your best bet will be to restore what you got. And yes I would put all my energy in restoring the 58 first out of the 3 FJ25 you got.

If it was sold new in USA then chances are it may be the oldest in America. Compare your VIN with the one in Heritage museum and was originally belong to TLC 4X4.

On a pre early 58 cruiser with drop gate :)

Yours doesn't look all that bad... it seems pretty solid expect for the bottom

The bottom is very reminiscent of the bandeirante drop gates that do come up here and there for sale on the Brazilian webpages

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom