California 62 owners show me your CAT (aftermarket driver side) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any California 62 guys with a newer or after market catalytic converter under the driver side able to let me know the brand / part number you used and / or snap a picture of the fitment with the numbers on the bottom.

I’m having a hard time finding one priced right & small enough to fit the space.

Curious what you all have on the left side.

I have a Walker 80901 in the center. Seems like the same one would be too big on the outside.

been digging and haven’t found an answer I’m happy with yet. 🙏

I've seen threads pop up on Mud talking about CAT's in California Emission testing and one of the common themes seems to be that inspectors look to see that its an original Toyota CAT. I'm in Vermont where in theory theory they just do the look test..so a pass through CAT housing or empty CAT would never be discovered. We can also run aftermarket cats without any problems. For you Cali owners I wonder if a newer toyota cat would pass....you could probably get one from a salvage yard for less than the dealer.

I've seen threads pop up on Mud talking about CAT's in California Emission testing and one of the common themes seems to be that inspectors look to see that its an original Toyota CAT. I'm in Vermont where in theory theory they just do the look test..so a pass through CAT housing or empty CAT would never be discovered. We can also run aftermarket cats without any problems. For you Cali owners I wonder if a newer toyota cat would pass....you could probably get one from a salvage yard for less than the dealer.

I’ve had no issue with my California approved (carb) aftermarket cat passing smog, just need to figure out which one fits under the drivers side.

So far I have seen others use the Magnaflow CA approved CAT. I myself have it in my rig and one of my customers rigs that needed one has installed it too.
Seems to be the go to CAT.

So far I have seen others use the Magnaflow CA approved CAT. I myself have it in my rig and one of my customers rigs that needed one has installed it too.
Seems to be the go to CAT.

know the exact model number?

If you can snap a quick pic of it in place on the driver side so I can take a peek at the number / fit? Would be much appreciated. Keep in mind I’m struggling with a 62 not 60... we have two and ones in a tight spot on the left.

I actually ordered magnaflow 39005 and the company I ordered from canceled my order so I’m guessing they didn’t actually have the part or something.

I don’t have my FJ62 anymore it is in a FJ60. As is the other one that I mentioned.
But here is a picture of the CA compliant Cat.
With part number. For the 62 series.
Call your local muffler shop they will know which one applies to your vehicle.

7B1241C7-E00B-4C63-9101-DEDDC7342489.png

Yes that happened to me as well.
I ordered one and the company cancelled also.
So I just bit the bullet and went to a muffler shop that I knew and had them look it up order it. if they didn’t carry it. and install it.
Yes it is a tight location to get two installed on the same side. I know what you mean.

I don’t have my FJ62 anymore it is in a FJ60. As is the other one that I mentioned.
But here is a picture of the CA compliant Cat.
With part number. For the 62 series.
Call your local muffler shop they will know which one applies to your vehicle.

View attachment 2374635
this one isn’t approved for a 62.

I already went to the muffler shop, 3 actually. Haven’t got any straight answers that sound reasonable $$$ If they get me the part, but they said if I can find something on the approved CA Fj62 list they will install. Problem is that list is long and mostly discontinued and no dimensions so a lot of them don’t fit left side but difficult to tell. Mechanic said the same thing.🤷🏼‍♂️

hence I’m here hoping to find out what model other guys with a 62 (not 60) have installed on the left side.

this one isn’t approved for a 62.

I already went to the muffler shop, 3 actually. Haven’t got any straight answers that sound reasonable $$$ If they get me the part, but they said if I can find something on the approved CA Fj62 list they will install. Problem is that list is long and mostly discontinued and no dimensions so a lot of them don’t fit left side but difficult to tell. Mechanic said the same thing.🤷🏼‍♂️

hence I’m here hoping to find out what model other guys with a 62 (not 60) have installed on the left side.
Yeah what a pain in the a**!
With that. We have the same problems with the 60’s as well.
Why is not approved for the 62?
Seems like it is the same system yes more electronics. But no obd11.
What part of Ca are you in?

I just called a muffler shop that I use.
And quoted me $800 for 2 Ca approved CATS. For a FJ62.
I have used him several times.
I see your in San Diego.
And has it in stock.

Yeah what a pain in the a**!
With that. We have the same problems with the 60’s as well.
Why is not approved for the 62?
Seems like it is the same system yes more electronics. But no obd11.
What part of Ca are you in?

No idea why.

But this is the approved list they gave me for FJ62:

As you can see brands like magnaflow aren’t on it even though they can be used.

He said as long as it has the approved number printed on it. But that’s partly why finding one cheap online is tricky. I don’t know what brands happen to make those models and don’t cost $$$ and beyond that it seems ones that are approved don’t necessarily fit left side.

That’s how I ended up with a second walker 80901 that won’t fit.

I just called a muffler shop that I use.
And quoted me $800 for 2 Ca approved CATS. For a FJ62.
I have used him several times.
I see your in San Diego.
And has it in stock.

Man, as much as I love Cali (Folsom is at the top of the list of places I have lived), I don't miss the regulatory crap. There aren't emission checks here, and I just put on a generic cat for like $99, which I didn't even need to do. I understand having a cat, but it gets crazy when you can't put in a generic one that will work...

All my old rigs are also licensed as classic vehicles, so I register them once and never again. And the no income tax thing is a big plus up here in WA.

At this point if you are trying to find something on a low price point. Forget it.
If a muffler shop has it and is charging a premium and you need it to pass.
I would say do it.
If the muffler shop has it is because they know it is compliant. And it is stamped.
Good Luck!🍀

I got the Walker for $130 and it’s all good in the center so deals can be found, I just need some help figuring out the model that fits on the outside left and I’ll spend the next 3+ months looking for a deal online. I passed smog recently so no hurry.

In fact I may have a Walker 80901 if I don’t end up forcing it to fit on the left if anyone with a CA 62 needs it for the center. It’s usually like $260ish. Approved by CA and fits perfectly in the center,

Man, as much as I love Cali (Folsom is at the top of the list of places I have lived), I don't miss the regulatory crap. There aren't emission checks here, and I just put on a generic cat for like $99, which I didn't even need to do. I understand having a cat, but it gets crazy when you can't put in a generic one that will work...

All my old rigs are also licensed as classic vehicles, so I register them once and never again. And the no income tax thing is a big plus up here in WA.
Yeah, it is a pain trying to anything here with so much regulations.
But there are Cats that are stamped And CA approved. And like I mentioned if the muffler shop stocks them it because they know they are stamped and approved. So if you have no other choice then you go for what’s available. And run the risk of installing a universal one and not getting it visually passed.

Yeah, it is a pain trying to anything here with so much regulations.
But there are Cats that are stamped And CA approved. And like I mentioned if the muffler shop stocks them it because they know they are stamped and approved. So if you have no other choice then you go for what’s available. And run the risk of installing a universal one and not getting it visually passed.

Yeah, I agree that is the best advice. It's just too bad the regulations are not a little more reasonable. Sucks even more for someone with a low value car just trying to keep it on the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom