Buying one tire for an AWD vehicle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KLF

Frame waxer
SILVER Star
Threads
GF has a Honda CR-V AWD. Pulled a huge nail out of the sidewall of one tire last night, not repairable. Michelin Defender tires, measure ~8/32" of tread, the new tires have a spec depth of only 10.5/32". Don't wanna hear the usual "gotta buy all new tires" from the tire store, they're less than a year old. Think this is OK to just get one new tire, same size/type?

Wondering about patching from the inside?

depends on where it was in the sidewall, if its more on the shoulder of the tread than the side wall i would try to patch it. if not just buy one new tire and be done with it

depends on where it was in the sidewall, if its more on the shoulder of the tread than the side wall i would try to patch it. if not just buy one new tire and be done with it
It's right dead center between the corner of the tread and the rim. I don't think it's safe to plug or patch.

Called TireRack, they said anything over 2/32" difference is not recommended. They can sell me the same tire shaved to 8/32", it's only a $30 extra fee. I've done this with the KO2's on my 200, worked out well.

It's right dead center between the corner of the tread and the rim. I don't think it's safe to plug or patch.

dont even attempt a repair.

not knowing all the specifics of how the crv awd system work you may be fine with getting a new tire and skipping shaving it down. if its a part timesystem like the rav you could put it on the back and it shouldnt really affect anything. if the system is more sensitive than shaving it down would be a good option or you could get a used tire that has a similar tread depth

Our guideline at work is 2-3/32 depth, it really depends on how the Honda driveline works. For sure it's more front bias being a known a FWD vehicle.
I have patch some of my own tires in that very same area and nothing happened but you won't find a shop that will do it for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom