Bumper supports not aligned (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got a new winch bumper and went to install it but found that my frame is not perfect and the holes don't align so I can only bolt up the driver side of the bumper. I need to move the frame/bumper support on the passenger side over about 1/4-1/2 an inch, should I take it to a body shop or try to do it myself since it isn't off much. I was thinking my spreader attachment on my hi lift or a couple bottle jacks would work? Any thoughts? Again, it only needs to be tweaked less than an inch toward the passenger side.

It's the Trailgear bumper and it looks to be square, and my stock front bumper was pretty beat up.

That close and it's likely easiest to open up the holes ("oval" them) a little. Don't do it all on the frame or the bumper, but a little on each until the bolts slide through.

If it exceeds about 3/8" total (i.e. you're opening each hole more than about 3/16"), then maybe consider other alternatives.

You can also do this to the side already mounted to gain a little from it.

What you don't want are big slots that weaken things substantially.

My 80 has been rear ended at least once, probably more judging from a few small parts like bumper corners. But I got hit once while I owned it and that totaled the other car. Bent my panhard arm as the spare probably hit it. Low speed but still a good smack. Even after that my 4x4 labs rear went on like a glove and every hole was perfectly placed. I am not trying to rub salt in a wound but I would bet your bumper is off before I assume your frame is bent.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Here's the bumper, and a couple close ups showing the bolt holes not aligning...

I tried using a hi lift and it won't budge the frame at all so I think I may drill the holes out, I don't think it's the frame at all because I put a gauge on it and it's square at all angles so what do you all think? Has anyone else had experience with this same Trailgear bumper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom