Bump it Offroad (BIO) rear bumper (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I might have to add that HF set to my other HF set. Now that I have a tap and die set I wonder how I lived without one before.
Agreed, all threads need a little love now and then.

By the way.....

Weight on BIO Rear Bumper

Bumper - 150lbs
Swing out - 50LBS per

So a bumper with dual swingouts plus a stock tire (70lbs ish) and your coming in at approximately - 330lbs

Add a set of maxtrax ( 7 lbs per ) and we can round it out to approx - 350lbs.

Add 10-15 gallons of fuel to the carrier ( 2-3jerry cans, 30lbs when full ) and fully loaded will come in around 440lbs.

Let's call the fully loaded weight around- 400lbs

Given this logic it justifies my though process on coil selection without increasing ride height. Seems like everyone is obsessed with ARB suspension products which in my opinion experience fail very early and just don't hold up well. To handle the 400lb weight range you need to get into their 2.5inch lift coils which now forces you into modifying the front end a bit higher as well.

In my world I want to keep a stock ride height but be able to handle the weight. Looking at the options out there the best decision is the Dobinsons CP-59-185.
@crikeymike is a good resource on these products

This adds a small lift and is rated to hold the 440lb constant load
Dobinsons 100 Series Landcruiser Rear Coil Spring Options - https://exitoffroad.com/product/dobinsons-rear-coil-spring-options-for-toyota-land-cruiser-100-series/

Compared to the OME options which are rated for half the rate at the same height. The heavy weight options all add the 2-3" lift and as mentioned earlier to compensate the front end should be lifted a bit as well. To do that right your looking at a diff drop, extended sway links, maybe control arms. Then naturally you want bigger tires, right? Before you know it you have an overbuilt land cruiser, no money in your bank account, and a vehicle that never needed the modifications in the first place to be an off road tank.

Agreed, all threads need a little love now and then.

By the way.....

Weight on BIO Rear Bumper

Bumper - 150lbs
Swing out - 50LBS per

So a bumper with dual swingouts plus a stock tire (70lbs ish) and your coming in at approximately - 330lbs

Add a set of maxtrax ( 7 lbs per ) and we can round it out to approx - 350lbs.

Add 10-15 gallons of fuel to the carrier ( 2-3jerry cans, 30lbs when full ) and fully loaded will come in around 440lbs.

Let's call the fully loaded weight around- 400lbs

Given this logic it justifies my though process on coil selection without increasing ride height. Seems like everyone is obsessed with ARB suspension products which in my opinion experience fail very early and just don't hold up well. To handle the 400lb weight range you need to get into their 2.5inch lift coils which now forces you into modifying the front end a bit higher as well.

In my world I want to keep a stock ride height but be able to handle the weight. Looking at the options out there the best decision is the Dobinsons CP-59-185.
@crikeymike is a good resource on these products

This adds a small lift and is rated to hold the 440lb constant load
Dobinsons 100 Series Landcruiser Rear Coil Spring Options - https://exitoffroad.com/product/dobinsons-rear-coil-spring-options-for-toyota-land-cruiser-100-series/

Compared to the OME options which are rated for half the rate at the same height. The heavy weight options all add the 2-3" lift and as mentioned earlier to compensate the front end should be lifted a bit as well. To do that right your looking at a diff drop, extended sway links, maybe control arms. Then naturally you want bigger tires, right? Before you know it you have an overbuilt land cruiser, no money in your bank account, and a vehicle that never needed the modifications in the first place to be an off road tank.
Very good assessment and breakdown. However I dont know if its due to cost or requirement but rear bumpers seem to be one of the last mods people do when building their truck out meaning larger tires and lift are already, generally done at that point. I've heard not so great things about the OME shocks but their springs seem to be good from what I've read. I dont have any experience either way but I thought their springs would have been GTG.

Very good assessment and breakdown. However I dont know if its due to cost or requirement but rear bumpers seem to be one of the last mods people do when building their truck out meaning larger tires and lift are already, generally done at that point. I've heard not so great things about the OME shocks but their springs seem to be good from what I've read. I dont have any experience either way but I thought their springs would have been GTG.
I guess in my case it wasn't a crappy spring, but I didn't pair it properly for my weight so definitely my fault, not old man emu. Now that I am within the weight spec they feel great. However in other vehicles I have had and friends rigs it seems like the shocks just don't hold up, seem over marketed and under engineered.

I knew I didn't want a lift, but didn't realize it was kind of needed to handle the extra weight. I found the dobinisons solution to be a great concept, in theory. I have them on order and will report back once they have some weight on em'.

I guess in my case it wasn't a crappy spring, but I didn't pair it properly for my weight so definitely my fault, not old man emu. Now that I am within the weight spec they feel great. However in other vehicles I have had and friends rigs it seems like the shocks just don't hold up, seem over marketed and under engineered.

I knew I didn't want a lift, but didn't realize it was kind of needed to handle the extra weight. I found the dobinisons solution to be a great concept, in theory. I have them on order and will report back once they have some weight on em'.
Gotcha. Let us know. Dobinson seems to make great products but Ironman, Dobinson and ARB/OME all seem to be very similar. I wonder how much crossover there is in terms of manufacturing or R&D between the 3 companies.

Got my bumper back from the powder coat shop today, I went with a smoother finish and it turned out great. $300 bucks to get the job done.

Anyone remember their install?

Here is what I am up against , the first go around I assumed I rushed the install and that's what caused the wing of the bumper to contact the body of the vehicle. This would cause a bunch of noise and has created some rust on the body of the truck.

Ok so second time around , get it centered up nicely and eliminate that spacing issue until.....I can't really adust it either way left/right.

The way the main mounts of the bumper are fabricated doesn't allow for left/right movement.

This left me stuck with the same issue of the wing of the bumper being too tight against the truck which will lead to noise on bumpy roads. It has only maybe 1/4" of space.

The sight line of the wing between truck and bumper also look pretty crappy but this isn't a big concern .

Am I doing missing something obvious here ? Anyone else having the same issue ?

Has anyone installed any back up lights in the rear bumper? I was looking at the Baja designs S2 lights and installing those in my rear bumper

Sorry to hijack an old thread, but anyone know if Bump It Off-road (BIO) has gone tango uniform? Website appears down as of 5pm CST 2/21/22, and Google no longer has a phone number listed.

Has anyone installed any back up lights in the rear bumper? I was looking at the Baja designs S2 lights and installing those in my rear bumper
Don't see why that wouldn't work.
Sorry to hijack an old thread, but anyone know if Bump It Off-road (BIO) has gone tango uniform? Website appears down as of 5pm CST 2/21/22, and Google no longer has a phone number listed.
Shoot, sounds like he's done with BIO

I’ve been trying to reach him for a month. No luck. So I’m not sure what’s up.

I’ve been trying to reach him for a month. No luck. So I’m not sure what’s up.

Mike's a great guy, hope he and his family are ok.

Just got an email from him. The website was just a lapse in hosting, no big deal. Sounds like he's still chugging through a pretty long backlog of orders, nothing to worry about.

Hope so too.

He emailed me a few weeks ago to let me know he was about to cut my rear bumper out, but haven’t heard from him since then.
Did you ever receive your bumper? I got on the waiting list back in November, so I'm probably not quite towards the top of the queue yet. However, I sent a friendly email to them at the end of March and at the end of June just to make sure I was still in the queue and never got a response. I'd hate to wait a year for a bumper only to find out that they are no longer operating.

Did you ever receive your bumper? I got on the waiting list back in November, so I'm probably not quite towards the top of the queue yet. However, I sent a friendly email to them at the end of March and at the end of June just to make sure I was still in the queue and never got a response. I'd hate to wait a year for a bumper only to find out that they are no longer operating.

I did end up picking it up from Mike in April. Not sure why he hasn't been responsive to everyone's emails, but he's definitely still working on existing orders. He's basically a one man shop at moment with some part time help. I waited about 8 months for mine, but I'm a big fan, and Mike went out of his way to help install on a Sunday morning.

IMG_5391.jpeg

Hi. Did you have any issues mounting the factory trailer hitch with the BIO rear bumper?
I think you'll just need to go for longer bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom