Build: 80 locked or 100 and why? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:popcorn:

If you were starting a new build would you buy an 80 with factory lockers or an 100 after 2003? And why? Suspension and mods? V8? Better road manners? Etc. It needs to be reasonable cost with 2.5 to 4 inch lift.

:hmm:

Actually... Im about to post a new build on a gx470 that im finishing up with the suspension.

I love the gx470. Basically 4runner with v8. Lighter than LC100 and v8 packs a punch.

So far:
Rear Coil Conversion Kit
Sway bar relocation bracket
Bilstein 6112+5160
Icon UCA
Icon 2 inch rear coils
MB Wheels
285/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers M/T

still debating on retrofit E-Lockers or ARB. Strongly leaning on E-Lockers as this forum and t4r has given me tons of cost savings reason to retrofit vs ARB. I still like ARB though but decisions, decisions, decisions....

will hit you up again when we head out to Hidden Falls. :)

For me it would depend on the intended purpose. If I were building what would pretty much be a toy and not used for full time DD duties then I would find a triple locked 80 because the mods are cheaper, solid axels allow for more lift and larger tires, and they are awesome.

If it were to be a daily driver then I would stick with what I have, a 2003 LC. I went with the 100 because my job has me driving a lot and the road manners and V8 were important. You would be pushing it to get more than 2.5" lift on a 100. Don't get me wrong, can be done, a lot do it, but it can get expensive and uncomfortable and going above a 33" tire can be a challenge that requires a bit more cutting and rubbing. 100 Series is more than capable and still surprises me anytime I take it out as far as what it can do.

So I guess the main question would be what do you want to do with it? and like @aznxfactor said, the GX is a good option too if you want a V8 without the added size and weight of an 80/100.

My question would be what is your purpose/intent as well. I've not owned a 100 series...yet, but have driven one a number of times. Having owned and used my 80 as a DD (in the past). I wasn't thrilled with it on hills/highway driving as it lacked punch even with the O/D turned off. Same with towing. Offroad the 80 is a beast though. Personally I'm not a fan of a 4" lift on anything, unless you are planning on running 35s and really going big as far as a build. 2.5" with 33s has been the perfect setup on the 80.

80 with a V8, 4" lift 35s. It will get you to about 99% of the stuff you want to do.

It would be a toy not DD as I have a 100 and wife LX470. Also working on 78 FJ40.

It would be a toy not DD as I have a 100 and wife LX470. Also working on 78 FJ40.

If it's a toy then I would go with an 80 if you have the resources and space for another Land Cruiser.
Don't know how you like to do things but I would vote for keeping an eye out for a clean triple 80 and building That.

I have/had an locked 80 and 100. Just sold the 100 yesterday, decided to keep the 80 instead. 100 is a great DD but it costs big bucks to raise more than 2 inches because of the IFS. The 100 is nice and peppy. There are tons of threads on this subject in both the 80 and 100 sections so you may want to search there to get more info.

Side note, I do have a clean, all stock 1993 factory locked 80 with 140K coming to the market very soon. Manual seats too.

3x locked 80 does not give a ffffck - Never stuck and always comfy. I'd get a 100 if I did any long trips as it would get mildly better mileage and have better road manners

I have/had an locked 80 and 100. Just sold the 100 yesterday, decided to keep the 80 instead. 100 is a great DD but it costs big bucks to raise more than 2 inches because of the IFS. The 100 is nice and peppy. There are tons of threads on this subject in both the 80 and 100 sections so you may want to search there to get more info.

Side note, I do have a clean, all stock 1993 factory locked 80 with 140K coming to the market very soon. Manual seats too.

Shoot I'd be interested in hearing about this '93 you speak of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom