Budget front diff replacement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I threw a holy hand grenade into my front diff of my 2003 lx470 last year at rush springs Off road park in MO. Been running around in 2wd for about 4 to 6 months and I finally have some funds to replace the front diff. I intend on R&R the front assembly myself so what are your thoughts my fine people of IH8Mudd? I have a small budget of $1000 -$1500, my current thoughts are just buy a used lower mileage unit and swap it out. Use the extra funds for some square tube to build a rear tire swing and also get some stickers that say "dont forget, you have to drive this home stupid". But are there any better options that are affordable that I am not thinking of? No idea how bad the gears are inside the case havent cracked it open yet, assuming the worst.

I did the same thing with my 03 LC. I spent 2700 to have a diff shop rebuild and add an ARB Air-locker. The damage done was stripped teeth on the ring, broken teeth on the pinion & broken spider gears from the chunks of steel floating around before I was able to get it to flat ground. The ARB took the place of the broken spiders so it helped offset the cost of upgrade.

I’ve never done anything with gears or differentials. I was told things need to be setup just right or expect more problems. Maybe it was a sales pitch...I didn’t want to risk it. The job itself didn’t look all that hard. But, I wasn’t the one doing it!

C31CEC6C-F4C3-4879-BF2E-E7CAC41198DF.jpeg

521F4394-0FB6-4BB7-B371-ABEE2CAFC0A7.jpeg

To clarify I absolutely wont be taking that bad boy apart lol. I know there is a ton of precision that is needed to set everything back up so I was going to get a whole new front diff, been shopping around and they can be had for around $700 used. @SocalLCruiser did you end up purchasing an ARB plus a new ring and pinion? If I had to guess I did the same amount of damage I had to limp it to flat ground to remove the drive shaft and spindles.

Used diff swap will work for sure, put new output seals in it while you're at it.
However, if you're building a wheeling rig you may want to address this now and save money going forward. Gear install is something you can do but you need some specific skills and tools to get it right and getting it wrong is a whole lot of work and money.

Really hard to beat the "100 front diff gold standard" of a trusted pro re-build with an ARB for added strength IMO, and those break also.

I'm following to see what you end up with. I'm in the same boat. I had to drive it TOO far to get it to a place I can pull the diff and flanges off, so who know how bad it is at this point.

@AimCOtaco I guess I don't understand what it is about the ARB locker add on that is going to add strength? If you are using the same OEM gears that are know to fail?

The @justdifferentials core swaps seem like a pretty seamless and easy route to go if I can muster up the coin.

@AimCOtaco I guess I don't understand what it is about the ARB locker add on that is going to add strength? If you are using the same OEM gears that are know to fail?

I don’t think the R&P is a typical weak point (although anything can fail). It is the 2-pinion spider gears of 98-99 that get the bad reputation, which the ARB replaces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom