BudBuilt Skid Plate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nottajeep

Enemies of the State
SILVER Star
Threads
I contacted Bud and they are willing to look at a group buy for a TC skid plate.

A couple of questions:

Is anyone around Hudson, NC that could get over there for measurements?
How many size variations would be needed for this?
Are the frame widths the same for each 70 series truck?
Can we get by with one size for all?

Minimum order is 10 to start out.

I contacted Bud and they are willing to look at a group buy for a TC skid plate.

A couple of questions:

Is anyone around Hudson, NC that could get over there for measurements?
How many size variations would be needed for this?
Are the frame widths the same for each 70 series truck?
Can we get by with one size for all?

Minimum order is 10 to start out.
I've been Interested in protection for the Tcase and transmission and have wanted to call/stop in there for awhile to see what they could do for a 70 series; I'd be in for one. I'm not near Hudson, but should be driving out that way in a 75 series troopy with H55 5spd in about 3 weeks. If we can co-ordinate the timing I'd be happy to stop by for measurements. That might be a good way to confirm what they get with @Bblair and his truck.

Some links below with various aftermarkets skid plates that have been around, and some photos with measurements. As far as fitment between different 70 series models, the frame widths should be the same, but the transmission cross member could be in different locations due to the different transmissions. And drain hole access would be in different locations for manual vs autos.

My cross member is protecting the front of the trans fairly well; so I'm mainly after adding armor for the TC since it's hanging below frame height.

I took a few measurement points in relation to the TC drain plug.
Not sure if that's the best approach but at least a starting point.
This may help with putting truck differences in perspective.
RHD BJ73 here.
Going left to right across the drain plug it's 39 3/4" (yellow line) from outside frame width (includes the sag of TC).
Center of cross member (under trans) to TC drain plug is 15 3/4" (red line).

20240308_082922.jpg

Since 10 is a realistic ask for the lot size, we may be able to do a few variations especially for the LHD vs RHD variations.
TC location may be the sticking point to getting one envelope for all.
Would likely have to target 10 of each, which still seems reasonable for this group.

I've been Interested in protection for the Tcase and transmission and have wanted to call/stop in there for awhile to see what they could do for a 70 series; I'd be in for one. I'm not near Hudson, but should be driving out that way in a 75 series troopy with H55 5spd in about 3 weeks. If we can co-ordinate the timing I'd be happy to stop by for measurements. That might be a good way to confirm what they get with @Bblair and his truck.

Some links below with various aftermarkets skid plates that have been around, and some photos with measurements. As far as fitment between different 70 series models, the frame widths should be the same, but the transmission cross member could be in different locations due to the different transmissions. And drain hole access would be in different locations for manual vs autos.

Cruisin Off-road would be great for me.
Simple and might work for both types of drivers.

My cross member is protecting the front of the trans fairly well; so I'm mainly after adding armor for the TC since it's hanging below frame height.

I took a few measurement points in relation to the TC drain plug.
Not sure if that's the best approach but at least a starting point.
This may help with putting truck differences in perspective.
RHD BJ73 here.
Going left to right across the drain plug it's 39 3/4" (yellow line) from outside frame width (includes the sag of TC).
Center of cross member (under trans) to TC drain plug is 15 3/4" (red line).

View attachment 3576856

Since 10 is a realistic ask for the lot size, we may be able to do a few variations especially for the LHD vs RHD variations.
TC location may be the sticking point to getting one envelope for all.
Would likely have to target 10 of each, which still seems reasonable for this group.
My quick "rough" measurements seemed very similar to yours. Agreed on the Cruisen Off-Road style.

What years came with skid plates?

I have a skid plate on mine but it seems some only have the crossmember?

Last edited:
Not near BudBuilt World Headquarters but, you can count me in for the group buy. I'd do trans, tcase and a radiator bash plate if available.

'93 HZJ77 Auto
If I end up going by I'll bring my PDI radiator bash plate for them to look at. It is deeper and will accommodate the larger radiator used in later Hzj and some HDJ70 series.

I’d be in for radiator protection.

So there are several different transmissions available in our 70 series and each one uses a different crossmember at a slightly different location . No difference between lhd or rhd nor the different wheelbase variants . Probably best to start with going after the H55 model ones as these are the most common

So there are several different transmissions available in our 70 series and each one uses a different crossmember at a slightly different location . No difference between lhd or rhd nor the different wheelbase variants . Probably best to start with going after the H55 model ones as these are the most common
I figured (perhaps incorrectly) with the different manual transmissions the cross member would be in a different location. Do you know if the automatic crossmember is located in different position than the H55? But yes, that's the plan take mine with the H55 for them to look at, and go from there.

I figured (perhaps incorrectly) with the different manual transmissions the cross member would be in a different location. Do you know if the automatic crossmember is located in different position than the H55? But yes, that's the plan take mine with the H55 for them to look at, and go from there.
Yes automatic uses a different crossmember I believe

Very helpful Joe, thanks for your comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom