Builds Bruce the 97 FZJ80 Beater Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
CURRENT MODS

Tires/Wheels:
-315/75/16 BFG KO2 (5)
-SCS F5 in Jet Matte Black (5)

Steering/Suspension:
-Tough Dog Medium Weight 3" Kit with foam cell shocks
-Slee Castor Plates
-Slee Front Swaybar Drop Kit

Engine:
-Rear Heater Bypass
-Landtank modded blue hub fan clutch

Exterior:

-Custom Mounted BJ70 Grille Emblem
-LX450 Corner Lights
-Factory mirror tinted glass replaced with FJ80 clear glass

Armor/Fab work
-Slee Shortbus Front Bumper

-White Knuckle Offroad Sliders
-Summit Cruiser Rear Swingout Tire Carrier

Recovery Gear:
-Comeup Seal Gen2 9.5 Winch
-Slee Fairlead
-Factor 55 ProLink

Interior/Audio:
-Lseat Replacent Leather Seat Skins
-ACC carpet kit
-Pioneer FH-X720BT Head Unit
-Pioneer and Rockford Fosgate Door Speakers
-Rockford Fosgate P3S 10" shallow mount sub
-Custom Drawers with integrated subwoofer enclosure

Future Mods:
-Headlight Projector Retrofit
-Monstliner or Full respray
First of all, I'd like to say hello! My name is Will and I've been lurking on here far too much over the past few weeks. The wealth of information on here invaluable in my quest to turn this neglected beater into a reliable trail rig. So I thank you all!

Backstory: I've been obsessed with Toyota 4x4 trucks and SUVs for as long as I can remember. I've owned a PreRunner Tacoma and after that a 2001 Limited 4Runner.
DSC_0544 copy by Will Gentry, on Flickr

I loved that 4runner but had to part with it because of gas cost and my income as a student at the time. I'm excited to be back in Toyota after 5 years. For the past few years I've been dreaming of owning an 80 series Cruiser. The combination of the classic and timeless body style, solid front axle, and the ability to easily fit 35s has always appealed to me. I was planning on saving up and buying an 80 that was in mint condition in a year or two but things changed when I saw the ad for this thing. I found it on Facebook marketplace with an asking price of $2200. It had 273k miles on it and missing a front bumper. Curious, I went to look at it and I found a long list of issues, but the main issue was the fact that it was in a minor front end collision and was missing a front bumper and had a damaged drivers side fender. the hood doesn't line up perfectly but it still looked ok. They decided to buy it back from insurance but they didn't repair it completely. I talked them down as far as I could and we agreed to 1850. I'll break down the positives and negatives.

Positives:
-Engine runs great (no codes, no smoke, no knocking, no obvious issues aside from oil sweating on the exterior of motor.
-locks, windows, and sunroof work great.
-no electrical issues
-all lights work great.
-transmission shifts smoothly
-no major dents aside from the fender

Negatives:
-Paint is TERRIBLE
-huge power steering leak (I replaced pump and high pressure line which fixed this issue)
-slight engine oil sweating (pretty typical from what I've read, front/rear main seals, arch seal etc.)
-no front bumper
-damaged fender
-damaged lower grill fill panel (the panel with turn signals)
-both front seat leather and drivers seat bottom foam needs replaced
-carpet extremely filthy. will need to be removed and deep cleaned/replaced

IMG_1167 by Will Gentry, on Flickr
17C59C6D-AFFA-4530-86AB-506AC5897C3D by Will Gentry, on Flickr
A3F79648-5AFB-4CDD-A735-D74785FAAEBF by Will Gentry, on Flickr
IMG_1193 by Will Gentry, on Flickr
I know what you're thinking! this looks and sounds like bad idea haha but for the price, I couldn't pass it up. I like tinkering and learning more about cars so I'm excited to get wrenching. So far aside from the power steering issue, I've only done a few items of maintenance/repair/mods. I've done an oil change and removed the running boards and flares. Also replaced the intake hose. The PO broke it in half and had it duct taped together...o_O

Last edited:
First of all, I'd like to say hello! My name is Will and I've been lurking on here far too much over the past few weeks. The wealth of information on here invaluable in my quest to turn this neglected beater into a reliable trail rig. So I thank you all!

A little backstory. I've been obsessed with Toyota 4x4 trucks and SUVs for as long as I can remember. I've owned a PreRunner Tacoma and after that a 2001 Limited 4Runner.

I loved that 4runner but had to part with it because of gas cost and my income as a student at the time. For the past 3 years I've driven 2 Subaru wagons and currently I daily drive a 2008 Ford focus. I never dreamed I'd own a Ford haha but surprisingly it has treated me well! Anyways I'm excited to be back in a Toyota!!

Here's where this story gets interesting. I found this Cruiser on the Facebook marketplace with an asking price of $2200. It has 273k miles. Curious, I went to look at it and I found a long list of issues, but the main issue was the fact that it was in a minor front end collision and was missing a front bumper and had a damaged drivers side fender. the hood doesn't line up perfectly but it is still straight as an arrow. They decided to buy it back from insurance but they didn't repair it completely. I talked them down as far as I could and we agreed to 1850. I'll break down the positives and negatives.

Positives:
-Engine runs great (no codes, no smoke, no knocking, no obvious issues aside from oil sweating on the exterior of motor.
-locks, windows, and sunroof work great.
-no electrical issues
-all lights work great.
-transmission shifts smoothly
-no major dents aside form the fender

Negatives:
-Paint is TERRIBLE
-huge power steering leak (I replaced pump and high pressure line which fixed this issue)
-slight engine oil sweating (pretty typical from what I've read, front/rear main seals, arch seal etc.)
-no front bumper
-damaged fender
-damaged lower grill fill panel (the panel with turn signals)
-both front seat leather and drivers seat bottom foam needs replaced
-carpet extremely filthy. will need to be removed and deep cleaned/replaced

I know what you're thinking! this looks and sounds like bad idea haha but for the price, I couldn't pass it up. I like tinkering and learned more about cars so I'm excited to get wrenching. So far aside from the power steering issue, I've only done a few items of maintenance/repair/mods. I've done an oil change and removed the running boards and flares. Also replaced the intake hose. The PO broke it in half and had it duct taped together...o_O

PLANS!

-baseline all fluids
-Solve all engine leaks, compression test etc
-rebuild front axle
-OME lift
-Lseat skins for front seats
-Full stereo overhaul with powered sub in stock location
-Slee Shortbus Bumper
-315/75/16 Muds
-SCS F5s in dark bronze
-4x4 labs rear bumper with double swingout.
-4x4 labs sliders
-Line-x from body line down and roof from sun roof back
-Repaint remaining area Imperial Jade Mica
That's a perfect start for a trail rig. No worries about body damage. Have fun and welcome to the addiction.

Making some progress on the Cruiser lately! Got front and rear diff fluids done, power steering pump + high pressure line replaced, exhaust leak welded, broken exhaust hanger replaced, and got my Slee ShortBus bumper installed! No longer bumperless, what a great feeling.

Can't say enough good things about Slee. They had the bumper delivered within a couple days. I couldn't believe how quickly it came.
IMG_9672 by Will Gentry, on Flickr

IMG_9670 by Will Gentry, on Flickr

IMG_9718 by Will Gentry, on Flickr

IMG_9717 by Will Gentry, on Flickr

Currently working to get a replacement passenger side fender, hopefully I can get that swapped out soon! that and OME lift up next!

Last edited:
Just got my seat skin kit from Lseat.com installed. some wrinkles still need to flatten out but overall I'm really happy with them. As recommended by other members I went with the color "bisque" with matching stitching. I paid around $280 to have the skins installed.

IMG_1434 by Will Gentry, on Flickr

Just got my seat skin kit from Lseat.com installed. some wrinkles still need to flatten out but overall I'm really happy with them. As recommended by other members I went with the color "bisque" with matching stitching. I paid around $280 to have the skins installed.

IMG_1434 by Will Gentry, on Flickr
the 280 was for cover and install or just install??

the 280 was for cover and install or just install??

Just the install. Lseat kit was 299.99 plus shipping. For $280 @Cruiser Corps built up the worn part of the drivers seat cushion and installed the 4 main seat skins. I had to do the headrests, center console lid, and door arm rests myself. They would have made the other parts look better, I'm just cheap haha

Making some progress on the Cruiser lately! Got front and rear diff fluids done, power steering pump + high pressure line replaced, exhaust leak welded, broken exhaust hanger replaced, and got my Slee ShortBus bumper installed! No longer bumperless, what a great feeling.

Can't say enough good things about Slee. They had the bumper delivered within a couple days. I couldn't believe how quickly it came.
IMG_9672 by Will Gentry, on Flickr

IMG_9670 by Will Gentry, on Flickr

IMG_9718 by Will Gentry, on Flickr

IMG_9717 by Will Gentry, on Flickr

Currently working to get a replacement passenger side fender, hopefully I can get that swapped out soon! that and OME lift up next!
Sweet bumper, I wish Slee was as quik with my wiper relcoate kit Lol

Sweet bumper, I wish Slee was as quik with my wiper relcoate kit Lol

I can't believe it came that quick haha. Sorry yours isn't the same

Will, it's looking great! When I went to get those 35s dismounted from my FJ, Discount Tire said they were absolute trash. I wouldn't have felt good even giving them away. Sorry.

- Josh

Will, it's looking great! When I went to get those 35s dismounted from my FJ, Discount Tire said they were absolute trash. I wouldn't have felt good even giving them away. Sorry.

- Josh

Thanks Josh! And I appreciate you thinking of me bro. I think I'm gonna go with 35" A/Ts

Got some amazing progress done on the cruiser the past week! With the help of my friend @DirtDawg I installed a 3" (Medium) Tough Dog Suspension System. I also installed the Slee front sway bar drop kit and I have the Slee caster plate kit waiting to be installed soon. The rear is a little higher than ideal right now but I bought the medium kit because I'm planning on installing a rear bumper with swing out and some drawers in the near future. Came out to ~3" in the front and ~4" in the rear.
Here are my before and after measurements (hub to fender) keep in mind the rear is completely empty.

I'm very pleased with the quality of the Tough Dog components, very reasonably priced from @reevesci and he had them out to me quickly. I can't recommend him enough.

BEFORE
Front
P:21"
D:20.75"

Rear
P:21.5"
D:21.5"

AFTER
Front
P:24"
D:24.5"

Rear
P: 25.75"
D:25.5"

Lastly, new tires!! I've been patiently waiting to get these installed so I could get the memorial day rebates from Discount tire. So stoked on them so far. They are the 315/75/16 KO2. Pushing them on stock gears wasn't as awful as I expected. Only downside is I can no longer fit into the garage until I can weigh down the rear or get an air compressor to air down :hillbilly:

IMG_0106 by Will Gentry, on Flickr

I love all of the progress you have made!

Pokey

I love all of the progress you have made!

Pokey

Thanks, Pokey! I'm excited for the next steps. new front passenger fender, lower valence, monstaliner, and snorkel are coming next!! I already have all the parts waiting in my garage. :clap:

I wanna get my seats done too.. Looks good

Thanks! Yeah I don't regret it one bit!

IMG_7054.JPG
IMG_0106
by Will Gentry, on Flickr[/QUOTE]

Welcome and best of luck to you with your new rig. When I saw your truck right away I thought I was looking at mine. They might be distant cousins. LOL

[/QUOTE] Welcome and best of luck to you with your new rig. When I saw your truck right away I thought I was looking at mine. They might be distant cousins. LOL[/QUOTE]

haha hell ya! I'm the de-flared cousin of your rig! :rofl:

Made some progress on the cruiser lately. Finishing up the DIY rear swingout kit from @SUMMIT CRUISERS Jr . Him and his dad made an awesome product and were super kind helping me put the last half of it together. Just need to cut the hole in the bumper wing, repaint both wings satin black, install the wings back on, and install the strut. Planning on painting the bumper wings, step plate, latch, latch plate, and the exposed portion of the subframe all satin black like the swingout. Also got a 5th K02 for the carrier.

Here's a few pictures of how it currently looks.

Untitled by Will Gentry, on Flickr

Untitled by Will Gentry, on Flickr

There's a telltale ring of grease around the valve cover port for PCV hose #2, indicating that the hose is probably shot - you should probably do both PCV hoses and the PCV valve/grommet before too long...

Looks good for the price though, that's a lot of coin left over (against an average purch price) for mods!

There's a telltale ring of grease around the valve cover port for PCV hose #2, indicating that the hose is probably shot - you should probably do both PCV hoses and the PCV valve/grommet before too long...

Looks good for the price though, that's a lot of coin left over (against an average purch price) for mods!

You're right, they are definitely shot..I've got so much on the list for PM that its ridiculous haha (u joints, front axle rebuild, valve cover gasket, spark plug grommets, spark plugs, I could go on forever.) And also a compression test to get an idea of the life this engine has left at 274k. Taking the rig on its first roadtrip tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom