Bringing my '89 xtra cab 4x4 back to life (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello I thought I would start a new thread about my 1989 Xtra cab 4x4 22RE. I've had the truck since 1992 and I have about 140k miles on it. It was my daily driver for about 25 yrs until I had a back injury and I parked it for a softer ride. The truck is rust free and with the exception of a low speed battle with a highly surprised driver and I'm sure deer will get a passenger front fender, the truck is remarkably straight.
I went to fire it up after about 5 yrs of sitting to find it would run on starting fluid but I had no fuel pressure. Being older and fatter than in my younger years I decided to pull the bed instead laying on my back to pull the tank. The outside of the tank still has the chalk marks from when it was built, but when I pulled the tank sender and the fuel pump, the inside is not as nice. This is where I start to have questions.

As I understand it the Denso 950-0150 Fuel Pump and Strainer Set was the stock pump which according to the Denso webpage was used from 85-91 Toyota trucks, has been discontinued. However the Denso 950-0100 Fuel Pump and Strainer Set is available which was used on the Toyota trucks from 92-96 and until 2006 on other models, so I would think this pump may be available for a bit. The main difference I can see is that the Denso 950-0150 (89) has two ring terminals for the pump power, while the Denso 950-0100 (92-06) has a plug power connection. My thoughts are I’m going to have to replace my pump hanger as it's a rusty mess and if I can use the later model pump hanger ... .maybe?

And to be clear, I’m not stuck on Denso if there are other quality brands I’m open to them. I would rather use the “Buy once, Cry Once” rather than pick one up cheap only to have to change out soon after, but I don’t need NASA moon mission quality either lol.

Okay let's talk Fuel tanks for a little bit. Not being able to go pick one up and poke it and bite the seam I wonder if what is available now is like pretty much everything else, not near as nice as what was factory original. I think mine would be salvageable but if the new ones are as nice as what I have then I'm all in getting a new one. Also another consideration would be the pump hanger. I've seen some that have 6 bolts like mine and some look to have 10 bolts. This is where sometimes a person can get into cascading issues if you are not really familiar with what you are working on. If you change one thing all of a sudden a bunch of things don't fit.

So I have a RN110L chassis which should mean I have the 19 gal tank and when looking at RockAuto there seems to be 3 styles a 13 a 17 and a 19 gal mine “looks” like the 19 gal even though I want to swear I’ve never been able to put more that 17 gal in mine lol.

So the questions here would be are 1989 model tanks the same as the later model 92-95 tanks?

Can I install a later model tank in my truck?

Or can I use a later model fuel pump hanger in an ‘89 tank?

Are any brands better than other brands?

Do any come with the interior sealed, is sealing recommended?

Galvanized would be nice if not sealed

Then we have the Fuel gauge sending unit. Mine is trash RockAuto doesn't seem to have one for an 89, I did find one on Amazon, maybe another reason to drop in later model parts.

This is just the start of something to keep me busy and out of trouble, get it to be able to drive around and slowly go through the issues it has.

Thank you,
And thanks for any and all replies

your pump hanger is still available through Toyota. theyre around 100$
Thanks for the reply
when I go to Toyota's parts website they only go back to 1991 and if I try and put in my VIN # it says "No vehicles found. Please try again." If I try some of the other "Genuine OEM Toyota Parts" sites I can pull up parts pictures but what I have doesn't look like what they show. On top of that they seem to be really proud of what they have and are charging a premium for it.

your pump hanger is still available through Toyota. theyre around 100$
BTW the reason I would want a later model pump hanger is I would assume that it would come with the correct plug connection to use on the later model Denso 950-0100 fuel pump vs the ring terminals that mine uses.

I used a 99 4Runner donor for my 3.4 swap and that tank is quite a bit different from my 86, 88 and my son's 91 and 93. So is the pump hanger. I think the pump would work if you got a connector. I'm actually waiting for a connector to come in the mail for the Denso 950-0100 pump I have. I have been looking for an appropriate connector and I saw on numerous searches that it is the same one used on Walbro and Bosch pumps so I'll find out when it gets here. There were different part numbers depending on the wire gauge of the pigtail but the connector itself is the same.

If I could have bought another Denso with the ring terminal type my 88 uses, I would have . It's just easier. I'm sure I could just crimp on the correct terminals and stick them on the later pump without the plastic connector housing if I wanted to.

Is your tank rusted out or just dirty? I've cleaned out a few tanks and they looked great after. Not much moisture where I live though.

I know people that bought tanks from Rock Auto that said they worked good, fit good and the only difference is no drain plug on the aftermarket tanks. My son's 91 and 93 tanks were slightly different than my 86 and 88 but might have fit with mods? IDK about the 94 or 95 models.

He put a 93 extended cab on his standard cab frame and the tank wouldn't clear the cab floor. I had to cut off part of the tank and TIG weld some flat sheet on to put his original tank back in place. Edit, I think the tank was the same, just the frame difference located it differently to the extended cab.

Last edited:
I used a 99 4Runner donor for my 3.4 swap and that tank is quite a bit different from my 86, 88 and my son's 91 and 93. So is the pump hanger. I think the pump would work if you got a connector. I'm actually waiting for a connector to come in the mail for the Denso 950-0100 pump I have. I have been looking for an appropriate connector and I saw on numerous searches that it is the same one used on Walbro and Bosch pumps so I'll find out when it gets here. There were different part numbers depending on the wire gauge of the pigtail but the connector itself is the same.

If I could have bought another Denso with the ring terminal type my 88 uses, I would have . It's just easier. I'm sure I could just crimp on the correct terminals and stick them on the later pump without the plastic connector housing if I wanted to.

Is your tank rusted out or just dirty? I've cleaned out a few tanks and they looked great after. Not much moisture where I live though.
Yeah thats the problem I ran into, the Denso 950-0150 is discontinued and thats the one with the 2 ring terminals the one your 88 and my 89 use, the Denso 950-0100 is still available but you need the plug ( odd that the part number is lower) and thats why I was wanting to convert since my pump hanger is trash. I would be curious if your sons 93 gas tank is similar to what I have as that the year range I'm looking to swap to (model 92-95 tank). I'm thinking that should be just the pump hanger but I've seen 2 styles of those 1 like mine with 6 holes and another with 10 holes , I dont know if the later model tanks have 10 mounting screws or what I'm still trying to learn all of this and I'm on a ballistic trajectory learning curve.

My tank is cruddy but its probably salvageable, I've seen YouTube videos of people cleaning up a lot worse ones than I have. One of the problems I have is I'd like to take it to the car wash to blast it out, but the truck I would take it there has fuel tank issues. lol I dont want to put it in the trunk of my car and until I figure out what direction I'm heading ( I need to replace both my fuel pump hanger and my fuel sending unit) I'm kinda waiting, Hoping for the "Yota Whisperer' to come along and pass along all the hard earned knowledge. The idea of getting a new galvanized tank is appealing as it would help to slow down future rust issues, plus I'm not going to lie the thought of cleaning out that tank in December is not real high on my wish list.

Last edited:
He put a 93 extended cab on his standard cab frame and the tank wouldn't clear the cab floor. I had to cut off part of the tank and TIG weld some flat sheet on to put his original tank back in place. Edit, I think the tank was the same, just the frame difference located it differently to the extended cab.
Yeah see I have that RN110L chassis that came with the Xtra cab

Unfortunately my son sold his trucks and parts. I would look up the OEM part numbers to the different years. Rock auto puts the OEM part numbers as a reference in small print so you can see if their part crosses over. Have you looked at the Toyota Bible on Pirate? ***Toyota Bible/FAQ 2.0 - https://www.pirate4x4.com/threads/toyota-bible-faq-2-0.775780/

I "think" the 3rd gen 4Runners have the larger oval shaped pump hangers. Pretty sure the 93 had the round one. IDK about 94-96. I have my 86 Xtra Cab tank clean dry and easy to get measurement from if it would help. The sending unit and pump hanger was crusty and I threw them out. 17 gallon I believe.

If you have fabrication skills, it's not hard to modify the pump hangers to work for you. As long as it fits your tank and seals. Just adjust length of the tube to set your pump where you want it. The newer pump should work after you adapt the connector.

I had a tank that was rusty but solid. I filled it with water and phosphoric acid over the weekend and it looked like new. Antique in this case and probably not worth the effort when you can buy a new one.

Good luck with you project.
Scott

Have you looked at the Toyota Bible on Pirate?
I did not know of this place, thank you for the information!
Judging by the pictures I've seen I believe I have a 19 gallon , at least thats what it looks like. My tank looks Great from the outside and I may just roll with it I've removed the majority of the old fuel from it and my go run a tape on it to see if it would fit in the trunk of my car to get it the car wash for the initial cleaning.
I do want to thank you for taking the time to share the information you have.

@gnob just swapped his 17 gallon tank for a 19 gallon in his 4Runner. I think the only difference is the 19 gallon is 2" deeper. So the hanger is also 2" longer.

This is the stuff I have used to clean rusty parts. I got it at Home Depot. Any phosphoric acid product will work. It does not harm steel like hydrochloric (pool) acid does. It will damage concrete and aluminum. I even use it straight. Spray bottle or soak. Your parts will be bare steel so prone to rust again if you don't protect it after.

If you just have old gas, varnish to remove I would use a different product designed for that. Acetone??

1702231610601.png

@gnob just swapped his 17 gallon tank for a 19 gallon in his 4Runner. I think the only difference is the 19 gallon is 2" deeper. So the hanger is also 2" longer.

This is the stuff I have used to clean rusty parts. I got it at Home Depot. Any phosphoric acid product will work. It does not harm steel like hydrochloric (pool) acid does. It will damage concrete and aluminum. I even use it straight. Spray bottle or soak. Your parts will be bare steel so prone to rust again if you don't protect it after.

If you just have old gas, varnish to remove I would use a different product designed for that. Acetone??

View attachment 3503570
it looks like there are only a couple of options for the cradle. don't overthink it. 🤣
also on the fp connector, could you not just use spades?

it looks like there are only a couple of options for the cradle. don't overthink it. 🤣
Best comment of the day lol "Don't overthink it" ... You are correct my issue at this point is I don't know what I don't know and I'm trying to make sure I've thought of everything. Just replace the parts and move on ...Thanks for the kick in the pants...:))

My pump connector is " out for delivery" so I'll post up if it will work with your pump.
Nice

Question.... on the bottom of the pump there is this little rubber pad that sits on the pump hanger and the pump sits on that . It seems that some pump kits come with this and them others don't ( seems that the cheaper kits more often than not have it) but I have not seen a place to buy this pad by itself, they also don't seem to come with the pump hangers. Any idea where to find one of these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom