brake upgrade to my 91 worth it? (1 Viewer)

Hi all. Looking for advice. I have a 91 that I'm not 100% happy with the way it brakes. When I bought the LC, I also bought a 94 full floating rear axle and 16" wheels with the intent of doing a rear axle swap and changing out the front disks and calipers as well. I like the way the larger wheels look as well.

I'm also not 100% sure that I dont have a vacuum leak that is impacting the brakes, but based on the FSM, it is good.

I still need to rebuild the rear brake calipers, buy the rear rotors and purchase front calipers/rotors, but before I sink more money and time into this project, I wanted to see if the group thinks this upgrade is worth it. Thanks.

I have a 92 and thought I'd eventually do the upgrade but whenever I get near writing the check I go adjust the rears, and bleed the system, I get pretty good results so I've made peace with the stock setup. And I live in the mountains. Save the money for the inevitable head gasket. Make sure your fuel pump is working at peak efficiency. I got much better mpg after I recently replaced mine. I'm thinking about a suspension refresh. That's how I'd spend the money.

Thanks. On top of this, I've got sluggish acceleration right now too...so something else to chase down. 0 to 60....eventually and then some right now.

Hi all. Looking for advice. I have a 91 that I'm not 100% happy with the way it brakes. When I bought the LC, I also bought a 94 full floating rear axle and 16" wheels with the intent of doing a rear axle swap and changing out the front disks and calipers as well. I like the way the larger wheels look as well.

I'm also not 100% sure that I dont have a vacuum leak that is impacting the brakes, but based on the FSM, it is good.

I still need to rebuild the rear brake calipers, buy the rear rotors and purchase front calipers/rotors, but before I sink more money and time into this project, I wanted to see if the group thinks this upgrade is worth it. Thanks.
If you really have a 1991, you have drum brakes in the rear. Also, read the forum for advice on brakes in general, there are a lot of things that you can check to hopefully increase your braking capacity. There is also a lot of advice on potentially swapping out rear axels and such. I followed some of this advice and my 1991's brakes are better than they been in 20 years! Good luck!

Broski

I love Wheelin my 80
SILVER Star
Morro Bay, At the edge of the Pacific ocean
I think that stopping is pretty important, 80 brakes are Mediocre a best so yes I think it’s worth it. Plus the FF rear axle is a up grade in it self.
If funds are a issue do the rear axle swap first then when funds permit do the the fronts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom