Brake Light Quirk (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
thedirttourist.com
I've got a 94 80 with 320k on the clock. That said, the only problems I've been running into so far are electrical quirks like this one.

Right now all my tail-lights work as they should, but when I put on the brakes, my passenger side brake light won't illuminate. I tried replacing the light, replacing fuses, and just replaced the brake light switch and the problem still persists. Right now my blinkers also go way too fast as if there's a light out. Next thought would be relay or ground in my mind. Anyone had this same problem/know a fix? Thanks in advance.

_g

There really isn't much wiring back there. It'll be more of an Easter egg hunt than a wild goose chase. I would bet you'd find it within an hour, with a meter. And maybe a beer. And an EWD.

Did you install LED lights?

Volt meter and a beer sounds like the plan of action for today!

I think there are (6) body to frame ground points. Remove the bolt, clean the area and reattach. Cover with silicone grease (dielectric grease)

I would suggest you do some searching. Within the past week there has been a similar thread and many, many other threads in the past. The first thing to check is the trailer light converter. It's a very common cause of these types of problems.

Check whether or not the bulb sockets themselves are grounded. In my case, whatever method is used to connect the outer ground to the wire had failed. I soldered the wire to the shell:

20170927142456-8dc7f62c-xl.jpg

20170927142453-30fe5da5-xl.jpg

Bumping this thread for reference.
I ran into this same issue with my tail & brake lights. This thread saved me a lot of time.

Originally I by passed the trailer light converter and my lights started working again. Then once I replaced the trailer light converter they stopped working.

I had to do both sides on my 80.

On The passenger side I pulled the wire off completely but had an issue with the solder material sticking to the metal lightbulb housing. I suck at soldering. Then once I got the tail lights to work, once I pressed on the brake the driver side brake light turned off. So I wiggled the same white wire I soldered on the passengers side on the drivers side and the lights and brake lights worked.

So I soldered the driver' s side as well , but this time I left the wire wire attached and added solder material to the area. Worked better for me ..so far.

My driver's side brake light stopped working a few weeks ago. Discovered a thread where one fella said he had a wire short right above the gas tank. The interesting part is in the same thread, it was mentioned that both tailights have independent control wires and one light just doesn't feed the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom