Brake Fluid. DOT 4 ok? And why are certain brands better? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Swapped in a new FZJ80 FF axle with new brake lines and I'll be flushing brake system soon. I read up on DOT3 and DOT 4 brake fluid. It seems DOT 4 has a better boiling point and wet boiling point.

I assume DOT 4 is ok to run in our trucks or is the slight chemical composition difference a problem? That being said, what's the difference in brands and why one over another?

Is there any issue with running DOT 4 after having DOT 3 in the lines? They seem very similar based on literature.

Brake Fluid

Last edited:
No issues at all...
I flushed my brake sytem (two bottles) a few months back...
I used what was on the shelf, Prestone DOT 4....

more is better. less is no good...that is to say: you can add a higher DOT grade to a system with a lower DOT grade requirement, but NOT the other way round...

Just don't use dot 5 it is silicone based and NOT compatible. However 5.1 is considered okay as it is glycol-ether based just like 3 and 4.

Our systems generally don't develop enough heat to justify the cost difference between 3 and 4. I would say just run 3 it will do the job.

doolee noted. thank you for the education...

As far as which brands are better, think toothpaste, shampoo, glyphosate 360, bottled water etc

Sticking with 3 or 4. Read all the articles about 5 and 5.1 not being for everyday use and the different composition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom