brake bleed question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Unfortunately I am beginning to think I have some as yet undetected problem.
I am following your directions diligently. The pedal is pressed in and out approx 5-6 times. Then pedal pressed,
While pedal pressed I open brake bleeder for no more than a second and close bleeder while pedal is still pressed.

I have repeated this process many many times but I’m getting a lot of air coming out sometimes frothy fluid.

The opposite front wheel (the one below Master Cylinder) is bleeding a bit better with good clean fluid coming out but the Front Left is giving me a load of problem.

My car is Right Hand Drive with Master Cylinder on Right
So I bled RR.
Replaced all fluid with new fluid (I did 6 cycles)
Then I bled RL
All went well.
Trouble started when I tried to bleed FL as described above.
After fighting with FL for over an hour I moved to FR and it bled good.
But FL is still either spurting out air or is spurting out Frothy fluid.

I’m wondering if air trapped in the ABS module could be causing this issue ?

Many thanks for your patience 2001LC.
Either you're making and procedural error Or you've a leak on side that keeps bleeding out air.

Remember, keep reservoir above low line, while bleeding.

Start at one end of that brake line with air. I'd start at bleeder (make sure it seat, perhaps remove and inspect), bajo bolt, flex line, hard line, flare nut at end of hard line at master.

If ABS unit (black box side of master) has leak. All I've seen have resulted in pressure loss. This sets off alarms, dash lights and DTC (code).

I have had to replace calipers. Because a bleeder will not seat and seal. If it doesn't seat (seal), you'll draw air in on ever release of brake pedal.
Once it was and after market caliper, that OEM bleeder would not seat do to angles. It was a front caliper.
Another was pitting where bleeder seats. This is more of issue in rear caliper. Due to angle bleeder sit at. But can happen in fronts also.
Pit in seat, bleeder failed to seat/seal.
IMG_8372.webp
 
BTW: If the line with air. Did have that ABS valve open. That caliper would lock up, first time IG key on and pedal pressed.
 
Once again, Many Thanks my friend.
I am confident all process is being followed 100% correctly. I am concerned there is a micro burst or leak somewhere in the system that I have not yet detected. Although I got the Rear Right and Left callipers to bleed I was not happy with how slowly the fluid was coming to both L&R bleed points. Must admit I’m totally frustrated at this point not sure where to turn next. The Front Right callipers is producing spurts of air or at times Froth, but only a day ago it was the Front Left callipers than was producing frothy output when bleeding. This whole situation arose consequence of me replacing the Rear Right calliper a week ago. One other point, although my cruiser does have ABS, the ABS function has not worked since I bought the vehicle 7-8 years ago. I just never got it sorted.

It looks like a more forensic investigation into bleeder seats, all joints and connections, including inspecting the seal’s internal to the brake callipers especially the front ones. But all this required alongside having this nagging feeling that the problem could be internal to the Master Cylinder including the regularly mentioned issue with getting the internal ABS properly bled when doing this job. As my ABS has not been functioning for a few years now this means I can’t do the recommended “hard braking on soft or slippery ground” technique as suggested many times in the Forum.

I don’t even have the option of giving in and taking to a toyota dealership because there are few if any who will take on this kind of job. As for AHC, it is the case they will not entertain taking on any maintainance or repair work. They just don’t want to know. More interested in selling you a Newer Cruiser.

A million Thanks for persevering with me on this 2001LC.
 
The ABS never working, should have been disclosed in the beginning. Trying to diagnose remotely is difficult at best. When all not disclosed, it's near impossible. Detail is important!

I don't know of a way, air can be introduced into master and out brake lines. Unless a leak or level low. A leak at master, reveals itself if one looks. If air gets in, fluid gets out same point.

It may be leak in accumulator bladder. If this the case, it would be dead by now. It's nitrogen would have depleted. Pumping brake pedal, IG key off. Resevoir level wouldn't raise or raise very little. As there be very little back pressure. The accumulator store energy, about 2K PSI fluid pressure. Which push out the red hard line into master then to caliper via lines, when pedal depressed. If the accumulator dead or a leak, at it's O-ring. The booster motor would run excessively or should. As system would not senses full pressure. It also should run longer than 40 seconds, on run timing test. But ABS never working. Someone may have monkeyed with wiring and or computer.

It is sounding like you need a new booster ASSY with master (The whole brake master).

It sound like you more than one issue??
Have you ever found a leak. Yes! Where?
Does reservoir need fluid added to it from time to time. Amounts that ordinary pad wear doesn't account for?
What brake lines have been replaced and why?
Does any flexible line have a bubble?
Any clue is to why ABS not working?
What dash lights, alarms and or DTC do you have?
When IG key turned on, dash lights go through self check. Any not working?
What is condition of reservoir. i.e. is fluid slower to lower in one area/chamber, Is it stained? Has it been off?

Here's more for you to read, that may help you grade your master.
 
The ABS never working, should have been disclosed in the beginning. Trying to diagnose remotely is difficult at best. When all not disclosed, it's near impossible. Detail is important!

I don't know of a way, air can be introduced into master and out brake lines. Unless a leak or level low. A leak at master, reveals itself if one looks. If air gets in, fluid gets out same point.

It may be leak in accumulator bladder. If this the case, it would be dead by now. It's nitrogen would have depleted. Pumping brake pedal, IG key off. Resevoir level wouldn't raise or raise very little. As there be very little back pressure. The accumulator store energy, about 2K PSI fluid pressure. Which push out the red hard line into master then to caliper via lines, when pedal depressed. If the accumulator dead or a leak, at it's O-ring. The booster motor would run excessively or should. As system would not senses full pressure. It also should run longer than 40 seconds, on run timing test. But ABS never working. Someone may have monkeyed with wiring and or computer.

It is sounding like you need a new booster ASSY with master (The whole brake master).

It sound like you more than one issue??
Have you ever found a leak. Yes! Where?
Does reservoir need fluid added to it from time to time. Amounts that ordinary pad wear doesn't account for?
What brake lines have been replaced and why?
Does any flexible line have a bubble?
Any clue is to why ABS not working?
What dash lights, alarms and or DTC do you have?
When IG key turned on, dash lights go through self check. Any not working?
What is condition of reservoir. i.e. is fluid slower to lower in one area/chamber, Is it stained? Has it been off?

Here's more for you to read, that may help you grade your master.
Hi 2001LC.
Yes my Big mistake not mentioning the non working ABS. I yet again apologise.

I’ve just got so used to using my vehicle without it. I have drove for a many years now without it, in which time I have replaced at least two brake callipers and did have the loud warning squeal from below my dash at a time but between my mechanic and I we always were able to get cruiser brakes bled and the warning squeal to turn off. In one instance a long long time ago i solved the warning squeal by simply adding a small amount of brake fluid to the reservoir.

And yes We do suspect someone did tamper with the wiring before I had the vehicle.
Over the time I have had the vehicle (8-9 years) there has been no “warning” lights coming on post turning on ignition. The only “quick fix” my mechanic did (years ago) was upon realising that someone had been tampering with the wiring re ABS, he had to disconnect the ABS warning light in the dash as he knew that light On would fail the MOT Government Road Test.

There are No visible signs of Fluid Leak at the Msster Cylinder. Non inside the vehicle at the top of brake pedal lever. Non between the master cylinder and the ABS module. Everywhere is bone dry.

The Accumulator seems to be very healthy.
It runs perfectly when it should.
It takes approx 38-39 seconds to recharge after IG off and brake pedal push 40 times.
The brake fluid level does rise as should when doing the 40 Pedal push.

Accumulator did periodically turn on and off yesterday when I was doing the rear wheel flush. From memory the “On” period was only 6 seconds.
when this current saga started, just after I replaced rear rotor and brake calliper, my mechanic found a small “right angle union” which was welded onto the chassis just behind front right hand wheel. (I have a right hand drive vehicle) this union had only two ports with two hard line brake pipes. One coming in from the brake calliper and the other going out and up to the master cylinder.
I think it was a manufacturing fixture allowing the lower chassis to be finished with brakes plumbed and when top body was lowered onto chassis they just plumbed the master cylinder hard line pipe into the little right angle union.
Now my mechanic thought he saw a very very slight dampness where one of the pipes went into the small union. This was after we had already encountered the soft, 2 pedal push, brake pedal.
To eliminate this union as a possible source of air ingress, my mechanic made a new brake pipe going from front calliper and up to master cylinder, thereby bypassing that small union block.
This was the only recent new pipe added since this problem began.

And in answer to your question, No we have never found any actual physical leak of any sort, not in brake lines, brake flexi-hoses callipers or the Master Cylinder, not around accumulator or between Master Cylinder and ABS unit. All is very dry.

Interestingly using the “bridge pin” method in the engine bay OBD11 port we have never had an ABS error code come up. Not even with my mechanics “Hand Held” diagnostic computer.

As for the Fluid Reservoir, I have never had it off. It is a bit tarnished inside making seeing brake fluid level a little difficult but not too bad.
No leaks coming from any of the 3 reservoir grommets , all is bone dry in there.

A point of Note,
Yesterday when going through the 40 brake pedal push Accumulstor evacuate process with IG turned off, interestingly after maybe 10-15 pedal pushes, all of a sudden I was getting a much fuller pedal. Of the pedal became hard to the point I couldn’t push it down to the floor.

I thought that was a good sign indicating that perhaps the master cylinder seals were still capable of creating a hard pedal. However by the time I had replenished the brake reservoir with approx 175ml of brake fluid and went to put “my helper” in place and turned on IG to go for next flush cycle the pedal would have gone soft again with pedal pushing to floor.

So all in all I’m getting a bunch of contradicting indicators making one quite frustrated.

It was the case that All went well yesterday with the Flush and Bleed process upon the rear wheels, and indeed as I found later, although out of synch with proper sequence, even the front right calliper “under the master cylinder” was bleeding properly,

It was during only the Front Left Bleed that I ran into trouble with the spurts of air and the frothy brake fluid evacuating from the bleed nipple.

Sean.
 
If air coming out one front side than that side good, but air switch to other. Since the front lines are independent of each other, once they leave the master. It indicates issue inside master.

Perhaps try a new OEM master plunger kit. If O-ring on plunger failed. It "may" (I don't know) draw air in. Make sure to use brakes actively just before removing master. Remove it fast and while master on the bench. look very close for any sign of leak. May be just a tine discolored spot. Brake fluid dries, so must find leaks as they happen. One clue is paint eaten away and rust, under master on frame.
Here's one I didn't see until master on the bench:
Leak at ABS unit.webp

Her's another
IMG_7672.webp


If this was my rig. I'd restore all back to factory spec.
To see what parts available for your rig, as set up from factory. Input your VIN# at www.partsouq.com and use with your rigs factory service manual (FSM).

I'm all about taking these rigs back to factory spec. When we start altering, it is a slippery slope.
 
If air coming out one front side than that side good, but air switch to other. Since the front lines are independent of each other, once they leave the master. It indicates issue inside master.

Perhaps try a new OEM master plunger kit. If O-ring on plunger failed. It "may" (I don't know) draw air in. Make sure to use brakes actively just before removing master. Remove it fast and while master on the bench. look very close for any sign of leak. May be just a tine discolored spot. Brake fluid dries, so must find leaks as they happen. One clue is paint eaten away and rust, under master on frame.
Here's one I didn't see until master on the bench:
View attachment 4197009
Her's another
View attachment 4197010

If this was my rig. I'd restore all back to factory spec.
To see what parts available for your rig, as set up from factory. Input your VIN# at www.partsouq.com and use with your rigs factory service manual (FSM).

I'm all about taking these rigs back to factory spec. When we start altering, it is a slippery slope.
Hi 2001LC.

I’m with you all the way re keeping this rig back to factory spec.
I’ve been doing quite a few minor renewals of suspension parts etc and I hope to have all the running gear renewed where needed before I take her off the road for a bit of body work that is needing doing. Thankfully my chassis is still in very good condition but I have a few quite bad rust issues at corner of bottom of back door on the body not the door. It will need a bit of cut and reform of metal to get it sorted.

I’m registered disabled and I find the AHC to be essential. Thankfully the AHC is going well and I’ve replaced some major components such as hydraulic struts and height sensors as well as the oil lines going up to back hydraulic struts. So the AHC stands a chance of remaining stable for some time to come. I have self taught to disassemble and rebuild the AHC pump etc so that end is all good for a 28 year old rig.

So I’m a tad disappointed with myself not mastering this brake problem.

Re the Frothy Fluid coming from my FL calliper, yes that is the case yesterday and today but the exact opposite was happening two days ago with the frothy fluid coming from the FR calliper. So I’m not yet certain it is a failed internal MC component.

That said I think I will replace the main piston of the MC
 
Back
Top Bottom