Brackets, SAS? Nawh, Portals! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TeCKis300

GOLD Star
Threads
First 200-series I've seen on portals. This thing is a beast!

Any leads on the 200 series roof rack they show in the second video?
EF5A2B1C-731F-4FE9-B6EB-B45B2D015229.png

It looks like these vehicles are using portal hubs mounted to largely stock axles and suspension. Can't find much detail on these units. They seem flexible enough to be used on a variety of rigs.

Looks beastly, but probably an off-road only application. Classically, these type of parts have high speed limitations and long term durability concerns.

If a 200 can survive the eastern block (drivers and mechanics), they can survive anything.

I’ve never heard of portals, what are the pro’s and con’s?
Pros is it is the only way to lift your axles and thus one of the few ways to truly increase your clearance, and by a good bit. With other big lifts (Except tires), your axles and rear diffs stay low while truck sits high, and does not look right. It seems the standard is something like 4-8 inches of lift for portals. They do this by disconnecting your axles at the wheels, raising it then reconnecting it at a higher position. They use several big gears to transfer the motion from wheel to the higher position.

Cons = HUGE costs, and compromises in stability. For example, in the Remote Controlled world, you rarely ever see portal axles on Rock crawlers. This is because it can roll over much more easily if you add height without width.

Last edited:
It seems like you could solve for stability with width. To get the same clearance over diffs and axles you would need huge tires, which would also decrease stability, right? With portals you could use a shorter tire and still gain clearance. Portals seem like a pretty awesome way to gain clearance, if they are reliable and don’t add too much inefficiency in the gearing. I’m just speculating of course.

There has to be disadvantages besides cost, right? Otherwise I would think we would see more of this approach. Thoughts?

It seems like you could solve for stability with width. To get the same clearance over diffs and axles you would need huge tires, which would also decrease stability, right? With portals you could use a shorter tire and still gain clearance. Portals seem like a pretty awesome way to gain clearance, if they are reliable and don’t add too much inefficiency in the gearing. I’m just speculating of course.

There has to be disadvantages besides cost, right? Otherwise I would think we would see more of this approach. Thoughts?
Toyota in Australia offers it brand new with Marks 4WD portals installed, and I don’t picture Toyota offering a 20k+ option on their flagship unless they think it’s an upgrade as well; or rather, they likely don’t think that it compromises things more than it helps. The Portal 200 and 70 series over there come out of the show floor on 37s lol. Australia gets the best of everything in the Lc world and they get it first, nothing new here.

There’s a version from Patriot Campers with Upgraded AHC (4-8 inch lift on demand) and portals, and it’s quite something to look at. I forget which one specifically and which video where they talk about AHC, but my guess is it’s either the SuperTourer models or the MegaTourers (6x6 LCs).

Aside from cost, it doesn’t seem like many people know about these as an option for LCs. Maybe the portals in the UniMog are more well known? Not gonna lie i can’t ever get past the cost, but if a set were to end up at my doors you’re going to see me slap them and 37s on really fast lol.

Then I’d proceed to all the 35s threads and proclaim my superiority for a whole 1 month, before another mudder with portals pushes the boundary to 38. Jk lol.

I think the portals are coming to mud and it’s just a matter of time. They really are next-level and likely the future standard for off-road vehicles. Clearance is just so important that that one PRO alone can offset an army of CONs. Maybe I’m missing something though so I’d love to hear people’s thoughts who see the disadvantages more clearly than I.

Last edited:
More epicness

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom