Bought 06 GX470 w/ 154k, threw p0418 + p2445 a week later... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OTB

Threads
I purchased a very clean 2006 GX470 w/ 154k on 9/7 from a very large BMW dealer in my area. Absolutely in love with the thing for a week. Then, on 9/14, my CEL, VSC OFF and VSC TRAC lights came on the dash. I did not have a good feeling about this.

I immediately emailed the dealer and asked if I could bring the Lexus in under some short-term warranty regarding the CEL. I also ordered an OBDII scanner off Amazon. The scanner arrived today and I pulled two codes: P2445 and P0418. My dealer also emailed me back this morning and told me to bring the truck in so they can have a look.

My initial googling on this has me pretty pissed. According to the video below, this was a common issue on the 2UZFE engines, wherein a foam filter dry rots and gets sucked by the air pump, eventually damaging the air pump blades and gets the debris all over the air pump system and clogs up everything. He paid over $600 in parts to repair himself.

I'm planning on taking the truck in to the BMW dealer tomorrow. Any tips on how to handle this? Am I screwed?

I'll bet the previous owner traded it right after he got an estimate for air injection pump failure / repair...!

I'd bypass it - See if the BMW dealer will refund you enough $$$ to cover the cost of the kit. Win-win for all involved.

Good luck.

- Brian

badass

I installed the Rutech bypass kit for my 2006 Gx470 and all was good. Now I am showing a P0418 code referring to a Secondary air injection pump relay issue. I cannot find the relay for the life of me. Does anyone know where the location of the relay is?

Did I post this in the right spot?

Last edited:
I just ordered one as preventative maintenance. The kits are on sale for $145 and after watching this video, it is $$ well spent

Youtube: SAIS service

Wow! That's a pretty good dealer!
When I bought mine, my CEL came on on my ride home from the dealership! They said take it to Lexus and we will go from there. So I took it to lexus for them to tell me the codes I already knew for $125! Then the dealer said that's nothing major and and I could just fix it. (meanwhile it was $700 o2 sensor replacement estimate with a possible cat replacement at $1800! (ended up alleviating the problem for about $50) But talk about a sinking feeling!

I installed the Rutech bypass kit for my 2006 Gx470 and all was good. Now I am showing a P0418 code referring to a Secondary air injection pump relay issue. I cannot find the relay for the life of me. Does anyone know where the location of the relay is?

Did I post this in the right spot?
Does anyone know if it is this part number for the relay?
89581-71010
My search has gone from the relay to this air injection control unit since I cannot find the relay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom