Botched Stereo Wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings! So I'm new to the owners club and am trying to get a few things accomplished to get my new rig road ready. One of the issues with it when I bought it was the stereo. I thought it would be a relatively easy fix but then I found this....

Does anyone have any suggestions? The harness receivers I expected to see are no longer there. It looks like the PO cut the OEM harnesses out, then later on decided to put the original Head unit back it. I have been reading some threads on wiring but does not seem like a lot deal particularly with this situation. I would like to utilize a harness so I can change out the head unit again down the road if need be instead of hardwiring it in. Also I am trying to bypass the amp. This idea looks like it could work but I'm not entirely sure

LX450 Stero wiring

Any ideas help! Thanks!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I should note that this is a 97 LX450. Also, what I was expecting was one white receiver and two grey, as opposed to the one and one currently present.

My metra harness used only 2 plugs, but here were 3 there. I have a 1996 LC though. I think someone in a different thread mentioned that on some of the stereos, the plugs you needed are hooked up by the back of the glovebox where the stock amp is. They then just extended the adapter harness wires to reach there. Have you looked back there?

I pulled my amp today. There are three plugs back there but I'll have to track down a wiring diagram to figure out what all they do. And if everything I need is there.

image.jpeg

Easiest, and in my opinion-best sounding method would be.-
Forget about factory wiring, they chopped it out. Probe the wires for a 12volt switched, and a 12volt constant. Once you find these 2 wires just hook up your stereo normal. Get a good ground, and run some new 14-16 gauge speaker wires. Easy to do, and this way you have speaker wire that can carry signals a lot cleaner than the 29-22 gauge factory garbage. And most decent head unit made now put out a lot more wattage than that cheap factory amp. If you want a sub just wire it in while you have it all opened up! Good luck!

If it were me, I'd go to the local wrecker and pull the harness that extends through the dash from the amp area and just replace it and move on with life. I've seen a metric sh@t tonne of hack jobs like this and it infuriates me every time. Sad thing is I know of a few "installers" around town that do this garbage. I've know these people elsewhere too. I've fixed friends stereos from out of state when they came to visit because some hack mutilated their factory harness to get the extra $10 they saved by not using an aftermarket plug like scosche or metra. One of my buddies sewed a place in Idaho and closed them down because their back job caught his car on fire, luckily he had an extinguisher and nobody was hurt.

If you follow what was done here you can extend all the wiring from the connectors that was used at the factory amp above the glove box to the new stereo using the metra connectors. The only wire that needs to be connected into the factory wiring behind the stock head unit is for the power antenna.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom