Bonnet Support Locator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone tell me where the bonnet support goes when the bonnet is up. I can not find anywhere on Jade (1971 FJ40) to locate the support. Pics would be great. Also while I am on the subject of not being able to find things can anyone get me pics of early model FJ40 radiator supports and where they are mounted too as well.

Ken- I have a 1/71 FJ40 that I am attempting to revive. It is missing the bonnet support rod. Looks to me like the rod would rest in the hole on the drivers side of the bib. Next to the hood rest cushions.

I did find a thread containing a picture of an older two piece hood

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/hood-support-rod-replacement.407156/ed FJ40 with the hood propped up. I'll try to insert a link:

image.jpeg

Also I took a couple pictures of my radiator mounts. The passenger side mount is 7 1/4" from the inside edge of the frame rail to the radiator enclosure bolt. The drivers side mount is approximately 5 1/2" from the inside edge of the frame rail to the radiator enclosure bolt. I will soon be removing my radiator, let me know if you need anything else.

image.png

image.png

I don't normally use the hole in the bib to put my bonnet support ... Mr.T says I should rest it against the windshield and use the support rod stay For 'general purpose' ... I have only had a handful of general purpose opportunities... So it's mostly against the roof :) LOL

image.jpeg

Seems to me that the hood support rod can be used wherever it will fit. My '77 has an oblong hole along the driver side bib apron into which the end of the support fits very conveniently, like so:

cruiser1-1-3.jpg
cruiser1-2-3.jpg

Or. if the hood is simply placed against the top of the cab when opened Toyota was thoughtful enough to provide a small "landing pad" for the purpose of protection against paint damage, presumably.
cruiser1-6-3.jpg

I tend to go with Johnny C's advice, HOWEVER......I would highly advise installing one of these #63118-90300 cushion, if your rig doesn't already have one. This will help from having an inadvertently horizontal cygnus white stripe across the bridge of your hood.....(don't ask how I know this! :bang: )

img_1088-jpg.727530

Uh, X2 with what @honk said above......:)

I tend to go with Johnny C's advice, HOWEVER......I would highly advise installing one of these #63118-90300 cushion, if your rig doesn't already have one. This will help from having an inadvertently horizontal cygnus white stripe across the bridge of your hood.....(don't ask how I know this! :bang: )

img_1088-jpg.727530

Uh, X2 with what @honk said above......:)

Think I've seen that picture before. Funny it looks just like My 70 FJ40 with my 89 FJ62 in the background.:hmm::rolleyes:

For the record the 71 and earlier have a split two piece hood with the hood support in the middle not the side and the hole for the support is round and in the bib not the apron.

Yep - was gonna say - it's completely different on my 69. Hood support is integrated into the middle of the hood and the support hole is in the middle above the radiator.

Think I've seen that picture before. Funny it looks just like My 70 FJ40 with my 89 FJ62 in the background.:hmm::rolleyes:

For the record the 71 and earlier have a split two piece hood with the hood support in the middle not the side and the hole for the support is round and in the bib not the apron.

L-n-th-P....it is your photo from the "Parts Seldom Seen" thread, 2/16/13. I couldn't find a photo of mine, so I googled the part number (63118-90300) and yours was the first photo to show the part on the roof. :hillbilly:

L-n-th-P....it is your photo from the "Parts Seldom Seen" thread, 2/16/13. I couldn't find a photo of mine, so I googled the part number (63118-90300) and yours was the first photo to show the part on the roof. :hillbilly:

No problem, reason I was sure to insert a :rolleyes:. I have no issue people using my photos on mud. Not sure how I would feel if someone were using them on their for profit site but sharing information is what I think Mud is about.

:cheers:

No problem, reason I was sure to insert a :rolleyes:. I have no issue people using my photos on mud. Not sure how I would feel if someone were using them on their for profit site but sharing information is what I think Mud is about.

:cheers:

I hear ya, Brother. I'm an Architect, so no worries about me profiting from photos of our beloved LC's on here. I probably should have stated the photo was borrowed and wasn't mine.

FWIW regarding photos on for profit website - I happen to snap and post a decent photo of the upper and lower FJ40Dash product on my thread. It wasn't long, and I received a PM from the owner. He like the photo and asked if I minded him using it on his website. I was happy to lend my photo to his business....Heck, I could have bought any other dash pads, but I chose his because of the product. Why not give back to what was given, since he was nice enough to ask.

I have a '71 and never could figure out where the hood support rod hole was. I have the hole in the bib, but the hood sits too low to do any work under it if I use that hole. Since I have a Chevy V8 there is a perfect hole on the alternator bracket.

By the way, up here a "Bonnet" is a hat that women wear at Easter. :lol:

MrT does recommend that you use the support rod during windy days because it could possibly fall on you (as per another manual) :)

edit added pic from manual

View attachment 1218270

This also only applies to the later one piece hood that the end has a hook shape at the bottom that catches as the hood raises. Earlier two piece hoods did not have this and just trying to reach something under the hood could raise it enough to lift the rod out of the hole and come crashing down. Best to use a bungee strap to hold it against the windshield on windy days.

Thanks all however after reading all the replies I think I have come to the conclusion that there is no specific position for the bonnet support to actually go. A lot of the pics posted are for the bonnet support which appears on the later models and is on the side of the bonnet. I did have a look at the hole next to the bonnet cushions but as stated by Srgould41 its sits too low to do any work and the angle of the support is not good. Cardudes pic is interesting and appears to be the same as my support with just the two pins coming out of it. On closer inspection of the pic it would appear that there is a bracket bolted to the engine to put the support into. I dont really like the idea of leaning it back against the windscreen cause for 6 months of the year it blows like 20mph up here and I dont want to end up like Sarge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom