Body Question (1 Viewer)

This is the perfect place for that question. To answer: that's a fairly difficult area to fix, course that depends on you skills.

My bodywork skills are zero. Aside from a few spots, this vehicle doesn't seems pretty clean.

Here is another suspect area. Is this a bad bondo job or just a wave in the body?

EDIT: Aside from a few spots, this vehicle seems pretty clean.

Where do you get one of these star things, anyway?

Lil'John

SILVER Star

Body work to me is an art/skill.

I don't have it... I let other people do it for me:lol:

In my opinion, better to have rocker/fender rot than roof rot. Rocker and fender have several options to fix. Roof not so much.

On my pig, I went with 2x4 rockers. My rockers had a copy of small holes. The fenders were in good shape... but by continuing the 2x4 rocker forward, I would have fixed the usual fender rot area.

EDIT: Aside from a few spots, this vehicle seems pretty clean.

Where do you get one of these star things, anyway?
For the star, I think there's a thread on how to donate, maybe try to search in the 40/55 section. Searching for donation should point you in the right direction.

I am a welder and have done all my metalwork myself and I hate the idea of that kind of damage at the roof. Also yes that is bad bondo work, looks like alot of bondo was used as it is cracking and flaking... rust is definitely covered up on the top there.

side note... on a few rigs I have bought I take a screwdriver pick to those spots. Not to dig around but to see if it wants to push through. Make sure the owner is cool with it though, I had a guy get super pissed once... it turned out to be a bucket of rust covered in paint! I was glad I did it. :cheers:

That fender may be a bad bondo job. Is it soft and flexible when you press on it? It's a common area for rust, mine were totally rusted out, but someone just recently had a batch made for that section, those patches are just fit and weld in type pieces.

Yeah....southboston FJ had some made. I bought a set. Good stuff......He has some left too.

Sweating in the rainforest or Winters, CA
Unless you're real desperate for a pig and the price is really good, stay away from the one with the roof issue. It will be a cut and paste and you will need a donor pig. The fenders aren't so bad to deal with.

Don't forget to look past the new car goggles ( kinda like beer goggles... you know.. she's not THAT bad looking). :beer:

good luck buddy!

3_puppies

SILVER Star

look how thick the bondo is on the roof... 3/8"?

if they did that to the roof, you really need to wonder what else they did and painted over.

magnets work very good to check for bondo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom