Boats and Sleds (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My curiosity is about something for maybe using on rivers, not jetboat stuff. Just something manageable
for fishing and hunting without giant horsepower. I was just wondering if anyone uses one now and can explain stuff to me. I have no experience with power boats of any sorts. I worked on a deep seine trawler in Africa as a kid. That's it. We have a really good river canoe we've used for moose hunting, with amazing success. I have lots of past canoe experience. Putting a motor on it is an option, but anyhow just wanted to know if anyone can help me out and teach me some stuff.
The sled portion is the same. Anyone have a new machine, fuel injected long track for backcountry.
I'd be interested in picking your knowledge base as well. J

202E5115-76DE-448D-9701-0231498C8359.jpeg
I have a ten foot row boat I love to fish out of, someday I will upgrade to a Rocky Mountain drift boat. I’m a big fan of canoes and a drift boat is as close to a canoe as a boat can get.

Aluminum Rocky Mountain Trout Boat by Koffler Boats, Inc. (541) 688-6093 | Koffler Boats

Those are cool. I like the landing craft versions. Always thought of taking an ATV and all my gear and getting lost on the upper Fraser
or somewhere up north. Hesitate to ask how much one of these costs.
If you had 5 gal of gas for that motor of yours, how long would it last? How far could you go?
How much stuff can you load? I'm thinking expeditions, not day trips.

Those are cool. I like the landing craft versions. Always thought of taking an ATV and all my gear and getting lost on the upper Fraser
or somewhere up north. Hesitate to ask how much one of these costs.
If you had 5 gal of gas for that motor of yours, how long would it last? How far could you go?
How much stuff can you load? I'm thinking expeditions, not day trips.

Build one. Flat sectioned boats are easy to pop out of plywood. Like freakishly easy.

My current favourite is the west Mersey duck punt. Build in a weekend, sails paddles or rows in 4" of water.

I'm going to build a second for potato lake match races....still have the strongback from the first one so that cuts the work by 30%.

Not what you're after but same principle.

Boat building man. Sooner or later. ...ya gotta build a boat.

I've got a heavy princecraft aluminum 14' canoe with a 4' beam that I put a 2hp suzuki 2-stroke motor on. Has a 750lb capacity. Great boat for river exploring. Hard to beat the shallow draft. Only goes 5 or 6 knots, but fine on a river or lake. I hate how heavy it is when I move it around, but once it's in the water I like the stability from that weight. I know people don't like 2 strokes, but this one starts first try every time and is pretty quiet. Goes forever on a tank of gas. Simple and reliable little setup. An electric motor would be good for small trips on local lakes.

Build one. Flat sectioned boats are easy to pop out of plywood. Like freakishly easy.
My current favourite is the west Mersey duck punt. Build in a weekend, sails paddles or rows in 4" of water.
I'm going to build a second for potato lake match races....still have the strongback from the first one so that cuts the work by 30%.
Not what you're after but same principle.
Boat building man. Sooner or later. ...ya gotta build a boat.

Oh man, .......I'm drawing the line on boats.
Thanks for the idea, but like an airplane sometimes ya just can't stop and pull over. So it should be built right.

You have the right idea, shallow draft. It would be nice to just pole/paddle around in narrow river or swamp area but
I'm lookin for something to cover some distance as well.

That pic wrapped in plastic isn't helping. Brings back being cold, wet.. nice fish though.

I think Nick is doing what we had. I'll have to come check that one out. I have no issue with 2 strokes, a friend has
one of those Evinrude 2 engines. They used it for moose hunting, went a couple of days and then some on a gallon.
But they were empty, no gear, with a Coleman canoe. I know my brother bought an electric motor, not sure how it
worked on the big canoe. We've put three adults and half a big moose in it, close to #1000. Wouldn't want to run
anything but flat water back to camp with that. I don't think electric is the way for me,
anyone have a new 4 stroke 4-6 hp engine?

I've looked at these a hundred times walking around Bass Pro and Cabela's all over the US. Actually
they are quite affordable. I don't think I'm even contemplating putting it on the roof. The Jon Boat is quite wide,
so I assume stability is pretty key with these. I expect walking, standing isn't an issue? What amazed me is how much
less motors cost out east.
So I'm trying to remember, the 4 strokes are more fuel efficient than 2 strokes, right?

Two strokes are coming back fast and gaining popularity quick with the fishermans..Maintenance with these new fuel injected motors is little to none.. We work in a 18 foot boat all over this island, we have had some interesting days like let say yesterday.

That size of boat gets really small when the wind whips up and the current is ripping like a river.
IMG_0562.JPG

I figured all the new engines were 4 strokes? So you're saying they are back to making 2 strokes, but
they are fuel injected? I know, same with a Land Cruiser. Seems overfull when I'm on the ferry heading north,
then when I'm stumbling around the backroads of the Spatsizi it seems not so full.
But if I'm going to use a boat for multiday trips and hauling, I've got to figure out what I need to learn.

I trailer my boat, mostly because I’m lazy... well actually in my mind I go fishing more if it’s not a massive ordeal. Trailering the boat makes it a five minute launch and five minutes to get off the lake. @Diesel Cruiserman is right I have taken this boat on the ocean but only on the calm days. It’s not a boat you want to be out in bad weather in. I will go out in the rain but F the wind... I do it for fun. I built the trailer years ago it’s my utility trailer it’s a flat deck with drop in sides. I plan on rebuilding the trailer and a new axle for it using cruiser parts.
DF5F65B4-7EC2-4012-81A2-822EA5F7692B.jpeg

I can help a little on the sled info, I'm no expert by any means but I have two tundra's for work (the white one in pic is newest a 2016) and an older (2008 ish?)800 Skidoo Summit for the mountains (my wife is standing in front of it in the pic from a recent trip into tumbler Ridge). The Tundra's are good for not so steep stuff and not too much powder. The track on the white one is pretty long so it floats pretty good and is all round real good for work and because it is fan cooled can run with poor snow conditions in the spring. but for the powder and the mountains you need power and mountain track (lugs are an inch longer on the summit). A few of my buddies are heavy into the sledding and they used to modify sleds all the time, but now it is tough to beat the new Summit 850's, they are almost perfect, a couple year old 800's are pretty good too, they handle incredibly, have tons of power and float good on a 154 or longer track. It is making bad riders look good.
IMG_1668.JPG

Thanks Deny, I'm not interested in highlining steep stuff or yahooing around. But getting into back country and
getting out. Last long term work I had was with 1980's garbage up when we surveyed off Trutch Mtn for the new
Buckinghorse section. They were so bad, I just never thought of getting one again. Now, I see overnight
trips and just getting out there. Up where you are, the snow is perfect.
I'll look at those models. I can only assume that with fuel injection and modern technology you dont' have issues
with starting or lack of quality? I did know that long tracks help. Are you making your own trails then?

9.5 gallon tank on that thing, the Summit850. 160!! HP?? Holy crap, thats' more HP than my first
Mustang car. I assume it's easy to pull a toboggan or sled behind this thing with gear? I knew the
technology as leaping ahead like motorcycles, but not like that. Wow. I'll have to look for used,
pricey for a newbie.

The new sleds are absolutely unbelievable and amazing where the can take you. They can get you in trouble real fast if you're not careful and a full-on workout as well! Just like wheeling, don't sled alone and be prepared. This was just outside Strathcona park on the way up to Mt.Washington a couple years ago.

IMG_0282.JPG

That is the longest of the Summits by the looks of it. I like the Strathcona pic, like being last guy on the last
chair at the end of the day at a ski hill. I used to sit for 30 min and wait for the mountain to empty, then
make last run down.
I guess the concept of single track in and single track out is foreign.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom