Blue Sea Rear power (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched before embarking on this little project, didn’t come up with this exact combo / location so here you go:

Blue Sea Systems “Below Deck Panel” #4356

Comes with circuit breaker to prevent parasitic draw, 12V socket, 2.1A dual USB charger and mini OLED voltmeter. The guys at ChiTown4X4 got me started by running what was left of an ARB power line from the battery into the cab where we spliced in the CB and continued the run back to the cargo area. I then extended it a bit since that’s where it was cut and wired it into the Blue Sea panel (it was idiot proof). I didn’t want to pull the cargo area apart and cut a hole in a large panel so I mounted it to the jack access door. Peeled the sticker for how to operate the rear seats (it left no glue residue) and slapped the template on there. Drilled four pilot holes and dremmeled out a big hole for the plugs to pass through. Used the supplied for screws and secured it. I was worried that it would look off due to not sitting flat but it’s hardley noticeable.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

28D1782C-0280-4968-B5F7-4C81DC711CC5.jpeg

F5FA39E6-FA87-456E-8760-FB4BC7E27CFD.jpeg

FFB50FEC-FC29-494D-BC4F-EE2D393394A7.jpeg

5916EEEC-B82E-4113-89FB-7435EE237F8F.jpeg

Nicely done, sir. :)

M

Very nice. Can the voltmeter be turned 90 deg in the panel, so it will look right if I were to mount it vertical?

I remembered seeing this posted before but couldn't remember who, I was thinking of copying your idea. Just wondering in the meter could be turned without major trauma to the faceplate.

I remembered seeing this posted before but couldn't remember who, I was thinking of copying your idea. Just wondering in the meter could be turned without major trauma to the faceplate.

The meter is just a standard insert...so it can be turned. You just loosen the ring in back...turn as desired...re-tighten ring.

You can also buy that exact insert separately. I have it in my LC in a different spot.

Edit - looks like you can just adjust the lock ring on the back and turn it around. It's not a big deal to have it sideways though, and the vast majority of the time it stays off anyways. I just use those ports to charge the drone batteries in between flights, but now that I've added a couple more drone batteries it really reduces the need for the outlets. It's always nice to have power back there though, and the Blue Sea stuff is top notch quality.

Last edited:
Very nice! I did something very similar but swapped the voltage readout for a plug that accepts two anderson powerpole connections.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but what is the easiest way to route power back there without having to tear too much of the truck apart? I believe its under the step panels inside the doors?

Sorry to bump an old thread, but what is the easiest way to route power back there without having to tear too much of the truck apart? I believe its under the step panels inside the doors?

Run positive wire the firewall in front of passenger (pop off right side panel next to floor...remove door jam/step & route wire through pillar and then through 2nd row door jam/step. Tuck up under wheel well panel (no need to remove...then up and under rear passenger side panel and into the space of the cover.

Best to put a fuse near the battery on the positive wire.

Once it’s run to the back, connect a negative wire to the frame or body panel inside the hole somewhere.

That’s about it.

Run positive wire the firewall in front of passenger (pop off right side panel next to floor...remove door jam/step & route wire through pillar and then through 2nd row door jam/step. Tuck up under wheel well panel (no need to remove...then up and under rear passenger side panel and into the space of the cover.

Best to put a fuse near the battery on the positive wire.

Once it’s run to the back, connect a negative wire to the frame or body panel inside the hole somewhere.

That’s about it.
Any idea if there's room on the driver's side (rear wheel well) to do the same? I'd like to have my power there as opposed to the passenger side, but I think someone said there's a bunch of "stuff" on that side.

Any idea if there's room on the driver's side (rear wheel well) to do the same? I'd like to have my power there as opposed to the passenger side, but I think someone said there's a bunch of "stuff" on that side.
There are definitely areas of the left rear side where power ports would fit, but you won’t be able to just drill hole(s) blindly. You’ll need to pull the side panel or be really good at covert analysis of the pics of behind the panel posted in this section.

There are definitely areas of the left rear side where power ports would fit, but you won’t be able to just drill hole(s) blindly. You’ll need to pull the side panel or be really good at covert analysis of the pics of behind the panel posted in this section.
Thanks. I just need the ability to get wire from the engine bay back under the wheel well (I have ARB drawers). I took a look and it seems like a non issue to come out of the wheel well to the ARB side panel. Looks like there’s plenty of room.

I didnt want to cut up the trunk of my LC so I used that panel slightly different.
  • Ran 10 gauge fused from the battery to the rear jack panel.
  • Left about 2 feet of wire coiled up in side the rear jack panel.
  • Installed Anderson connectors on the wire I ran to the trunk.
  • Installed an Anderson bulkhead fitting, the blue sea panel listed above, and my solar charge controller in a small Pelican case.
  • Now any time I want to run my fridge and/or use my solar I just plug the pelican case into my car, and I can plug my fridge, solar, or what have you into the panel. Keeps it clean and nice and simple no-drill solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom