Bled Power Steering Twice... Still Having Trouble at Low RPM (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About a month ago I was driving aggressively on a dirt road. I went through a turn pretty sharp and had a little more traction through the turn than I expected. When I cam out of it my steering was very stiff and did not feel right at all.

Now when driving at low rpm's (below 1000) my power steering just doesn't work at all. I've tried to bleed the system twice but no luck. The reservoir is full and when I bled it maybe one or two bubbles rose up. When I tried to bleed any air out, I heard what sounded like oil being pushed around in the steering stabilizer. Would a faulty stabilizer affect steering this much?

Above 1000 rpm's she steers great, but parking has been a huge pain and I really want her fixed. Does anyone know of a possible solution? I've searched but I haven't found anything that persists after bleeding it.

Thanks!

Sounds like the pump is due for a rebuild or replacement. There really isn't anything to bleed in the power steering unless you have drained the system and are refilling it.

You could pull the return line and empty old fluid into a container while topping up with fresh stuff? If nothing else you will have clean fluid throughout.

regards

Dave

Ill try that and see if it helps.

Sounds like the pump is due for a rebuild or replacement. There really isn't anything to bleed in the power steering unless you have drained the system and are refilling it.

Is a rebuild something I can do on my own?

I have heard that some gasoline 80's have an idle up sensor that increases power steering assistance during parking speeds, i.e. at around idle? The diesel has it.

regards

Dave
1fz does NOT have this feature. Last one I did wee was on my 85 pickup with the 22re.

1fz does NOT have this feature. Last one I did wee was on my 85 pickup with the 22re.

Thanks for clarifying that Inkpot. I know the diesels have it and some 80's gasoline powered models, so it was a shot in the dark really.

regards

Dave

Pull the steering stabilizer and see if that eliminates the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom