Black puff of smoke.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Noticed after my last fill up a puff of black smoke on start up or when I rev the motor. Could this be the diesel or turbo lag. I've been watching the exhaust since purchase to see if there were any signs of issues. Idles fine, no issues with start up plenty of power through entire band. I did run a bottle of cleaner this last fill up also, could that be the result of the "cleanser" working?

You have a turbo diesel? Or is that your description of the problem?

IMHO, in-tank cleaners are a waste of money. Gasohol (E85) will generate a lot of crap after years of use. And it loves to stick to cast aluminum. Removing and cleaning the interior passages are the only good way to interdict this problem. This method also makes sure that the crap that you remove doesn't flow though the engine and try to find the tailpipe (which is a long bet at best).

One puff of black smoke is tough to sleuth. If it keeps happening every time you start the engine, though...

@Websterr77 I think you didn't read @Malleus ...do you have a diesel or turbo diesel engine? if you do, please let me remind you of the trhee smokes you may encounter on ANY car...white smoke, is burning water...blue smoke, is burning oil...black smoke (ONLY diesels) is not getting enough air or too much fuel is going in...that being said...if you car is a diesel, change the air filter first, then (if the problem continues) check the injectors, they may be dripping diesel and that's what you see...the injectors are different for the turbo and non turbo, if you installed an aftermarket turbo to your non turbo engine, still the injectors are from a non turbo...also, if you have beeing idling for a while, there will be a puff and then nothing

@Websterr77 I think you didn't read @Malleus ...do you have a diesel or turbo diesel engine? if you do, please let me remind you of the trhee smokes you may encounter on ANY car...white smoke, is burning water...blue smoke, is burning oil...black smoke (ONLY diesels) is not getting enough air or too much fuel is going in...that being said...if you car is a diesel, change the air filter first, then (if the problem continues) check the injectors, they may be dripping diesel and that's what you see...the injectors are different for the turbo and non turbo, if you installed an aftermarket turbo to your non turbo engine, still the injectors are from a non turbo...also, if you have beeing idling for a while, there will be a puff and then nothing
I read his reply, my OP stated turbo, so here we go, 91 HDJ81, 184000 km with the 1HDT, only has a puff of black smoke when initial start or a short tap of the pedal. Runs fine, no hesitation or hazing that I can see. I'll try the cheapest route first with the air filter as I have not changed that yet, it's had an oil change and I changed the fuel filter, I've only owned this one since 3/15/17, so I'm still feeling her out!

Thanks guys I ordered the air filter, we'll start there and see what happens, I'll post up results in a couple of days as I am out of town currently..

They all puff when you start them, that's normal. It's a fully mechanical diesel with zero emissions devices. If you don't like the puff when you stab the skinny pedal you can try tuning it out via injection pump adjustments, but your throttle response will suffer.

Sounds normal for that engine.
As Ian says, you can tune it to not puff. But you won't have fuel available to drive the turbo spool up.
A bit of a puff of black smoke as you come off idle, or on acceleration when boost is low is totally normal.
It shouldn't be a cloud of smoke, just a puff that dissipates as the revs build and turbo spools up.

@Websterr77 I think you didn't read @Malleus let me remind you of the trhee smokes you may encounter on ANY car...white smoke, is burning water...blue smoke, is burning oil...black smoke (ONLY diesels) is not getting enough air or too much fuel is going in...

In a diesel, black smoke is rich fuel mixture, and incomplete combustion. In your case, you need plenty of fuel to get the turbo to spool, but turbo is not pumping a lot of air yet. Fuel is burnt, but not quite completely.

A diesel can also blue white smoke when you have UN-burnt/raw fuel passing through the engine. White smoke indicates a problem with fuel supply, such as air in the fuel system, or really bad injection timing.

Blue smoke indicates oil being burnt

They all puff when you start them, that's normal. It's a fully mechanical diesel with zero emissions devices. If you don't like the puff when you stab the skinny pedal you can try tuning it out via injection pump adjustments, but your throttle response will suffer.
That's what I wanted to hear! I figured as much being a mechanical diesel from what I've read. This is my first diesel and I've had it less than a month so I'm just trying to figure out what's "normal " and what isn't. Throttle response is excellent, no hesitation, so far a joy to drive...like I said before I'm ignorant to diesels so I'm just trying to get a feel for her without being paranoid!

That's what I wanted to hear! I figured as much being a mechanical diesel from what I've read. This is my first diesel and I've had it less than a month so I'm just trying to figure out what's "normal " and what isn't. Throttle response is excellent, no hesitation, so far a joy to drive...like I said before I'm ignorant to diesels so I'm just trying to get a feel for her without being paranoid!
Webster, I'm new to this 1HD-T thing too, and have found the same stuff you report here. Normal behavior. Lets the Prius drivers know to keep a safe distance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom