Black Friday Wheeling at Rausch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@jamarquardt22, see, I told you I’d get reckless to take the heat off you. You just wern’t there!

I should have a carnage report in a couple of days. What's the best way to reach Onur?

First, thanks for all the great pictures and the narratives, makes me feel like I was there! Wow what a day! I have only ever been on those J trails once and didn't like them I remember off camber, one pretty bad washout, and a very steep drop. Frankly I thought they've been impassable for some time. We used to do 19 all the time but the one section got rough and scary off camber not my favorite orientation in a tall truck! You went over pizza rock on trail 23 that's a long trail with a lot of rocks and muddy sections mixed in. Trail 20 has pitman rock- an obstacle where I've been entertained many a time watching people fight to get over it. the fact that the approach to Pitman is indeed up a creek bed makes it that much more interesting! A question, where exactly was the creek with the orangish water? I can't seem to place it in my mind's map.
Greg I still haven't figured whether it's you or your truck that has such an affinity for s***holes!!!!!
You guys really did cover a lot of trails, good ones all of them, and boy I wish I could have been there with you. Looking forward to see how Vince made out once he gets his truck looked at. And Greg- I'm surprised that driveshaft lasted as long as it did! Having said that, of all the driveshaft failures I've seen over the years and I never saw a tube torn in half like yours!!!!!

Last edited:
We had a fun time! If I may make a quick comment on gear, rigging, safety and recovery...

Here is a photo that was posted above of Blair. Crusha had just gotten stuck in nearby mud puddle, nose into the mud. Blair was taking the bypass around the mud puddle and trying to pull in forward so he could winch Crusha out. Before John added ballast to the driver rear tire, Blair's truck was doing a 3 point stand teeter tottering up and down rather precariously!

162-jpg.1580763

Crusha is stuck in a mud puddle without access to his trunk area, but luckily with tow strap, shackle and winch controller within reach. Blair's truck is too high up in the air and in too precarious a position to open the large rear door to access his gear. We were running without CBs since only half the group had them working. Andy was guiding Vince back into position on dry ground to winch Blair back to safety, then running back to his truck to grab a rear hitch shackle mount, while John and Blair and I were trying to decide if the OEM rear tow hook on Blair's truck was strong enough to use as a winch point! A bit hectic to say the least.

Luckily no harm was done and we were able to get everyone out, unstuck and back on the trail successfully! But while the scene was playing out I was a bit concerned about how unprepared we as a group seemed. I don't want to preach, but thought the photos above and this trip could serve as a reminder to have all our gear in good working order, within reach, and to make sure everyone is ready and prepared to act quickly when the $hit hits the fan, or in this case, when the cruisers hit the mud!!!

The fun doesn't start until someone gets stuck, so let's make sure we are all prepared to act safely and quickly to get unstuck!

Hangs head sheepishly ... *noted*

Starts looking for spare driveshafts. I would have never even considered that.

I'm not sure unprepared is what I would go with. If blair was going over it would of happened before anyone could grab a strap. He reconised a iffy situation and stopped. I wasn't there but the pic dosent look so bad. It looks as if he could turn right and IF on solid ground drive out of it. Sometimes you must wait your turn in life. Keeping people out of harms way is my biggest concern, like who is standing on the tire.

Greg- I'm surprised that driveshaft lasted as long as it did! Having said that, of all the driveshaft failures I've seen over the years and I never saw a tube torn in half like yours!!!!!

What can I say? I'm a skilled destroyer!

I totally misjudged how much ground I thought I had and put myself in a bad spot. I might have been able to drive out of it, but I most likely would have just got “more” stuck. I agree with andy, if i was gonna flop most likely would have been done before anyone had a chance to do anything. I do think everyone did a great job getting me secured as it’s totally possible for that situation to get way worse.

That said I do agree with Ben. It probably wouldn’t be the worst idea to maybe dedicate a day with some of the more experienced guys to go out with some of the greener guys (like myself) and practice some recovery techniques. I’ve read/watched a bunch but there is no substitute for doing. I mean it’s one thing just to give someone a tug over a hill, but a situation where there is a small group of us out and someone gets into a situation that if not handled properly could result in vehicle damage or worse personal injury.

Another idea would also be doing a “gear shakedown” before hitting the trail. That way if there is a panic situation we would all know who had what. We do it when doing overnight backpacking trips and would certainly translate to us.

A well stocked first aid kit and a fire extinguisher are also key pieces of equipment, and if I’m not mistaken the Gotham city guys require both items to run with them.

That said I do agree with Ben. It probably wouldn’t be the worst idea to maybe dedicate a day with some of the more experienced guys to go out with some of the greener guys (like myself) and practice some recovery techniques. I’ve read/watched a bunch but there is no substitute for doing. I mean it’s one thing just to give someone a tug over a hill, but a situation where there is a small group of us out and someone gets into a situation that if not handled properly could result in vehicle damage or worse personal injury.

I thought Friday WAS that day

Nothing like an adventurous day in the woods to point out the holes in our equipment! I already put my tarp and hitch pin back into my truck toolbox. Also put my "misc hardware" coffee can together...

Standing around listening to some dude tell me what I should do never sinks in for me like the real deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom