"Black" Chrome Grill Modification (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Instead of doing all the hand sanding and painting of the front grill I am thinking of sending the center grill and headlight surround trim pieces off and having them chromed in a black color. I have found several companies on the web that offer chroming of plastic parts.

Has anyone ever seen a piece of plastic "Black" chromed? I'm wondering how glossy it comes out compared to plain old glossy black spray paint?

Opinions? BTW, my new cruiser is a black 96.

Black chrome is not a flat or even a glossy black color. It's like a combo of 50% black and 50% bright chrome. So there is still some 'mirror' quality to it, hard to describe.

Black chrome can have a matte or glossy finish depending on the nickel. To answer your question, you can have a very high gloss black chrome but paint can be just as glossy. Black chrome also scratches much easier than regular chrome.

I got those black emblems on my LX.

So those are factory?
Cool to know!

I did see some factory black chrome for the LX but they wanted $450 for them... ouch

What do you feel would look best on a black cruiser, a black chrome grill or a glossy black painted grill? The rims will either be painted or powdercoated a glossy black.

Where do I get the black emblems for the cruiser? I want to replace the gold ones that are on it now. Can Cdan get these? Front grill Toyota symbol, rear Toyota symbol and rear AWD badge.

My 97 Desert Dune Metallic Collector's Edition came with Black Pearl emblems. I would have thought that your 97 40th came with them as well. Or do you think there's another choice in "black"? I just reread your posts. I'm guessing your 40th is Green since it has the gold badging? I'm pretty sure the antique sage 40th editions came with black pearl emblems.

Last edited:
My LC is in the US and I'm not but I just looked at some photos and my grill is black as well. Here's a photo (before I bought it).
L1090639.jpg

My 1997 dark emerald green 40th does have the Black Pearl badging, I am looking to replace the gold emblems on my black 1996 cruiser. My local dealership says the black pearl emblems are no longer available.

My local dealership says the black pearl emblems are no longer available.

Correct, and CDan could not get them the last time I checked.

You can find them on eBay sometimes. Set up an eBay search and have it run every day. You might get lucky.

-B-

I need to check to be sure but I think cruiserparts.net may have the black pearl emblems.

My buddy and I black-chromed some of his 4Runner's emblems... A little RC car tint goes a long way. You can get it at pretty much any hobby shop.

I bought a set of OEM 40th Black Pearl emblems from "Bill's Auto" of Stillwell, Oklahoma on eBay; IIRC they were ~$65 for a front grill sombrero, a rear sombrero, an antenna trim ring, and a full-time 4wd emblem. I don't think the rear hatch Land Cruiser emblem is available from anyone NIB.

I don't think the rear hatch Land Cruiser emblem is available from anyone NIB.

$OR might be able to get them. I got regular chrome 100 series emblems...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom