BJ74 AC/ALT/PS Belt Change Tips (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'day everyone! I got hold of a BJ74 a few months back for a relatively good price here in Australia. I sent it in to have a checkup and to see what needs attention and one of the things was "drive belts". I have now purchased the necessary belts and they're sat here waiting to go on. I was just after some information on the process and any tips on access?

Cheers

Joey

Two of the belts run over idler pulleys. Loosen the pulleys before using the bolt-actuated belt tensioners.
I think the alternator was the one without a simple way to tighten it. I used a block of wood and a big screwdriver to lever the alt outwards to tighten the belt.

yeah mate as jblueridge said, and I found this out the hard way by snapping a bolt, the bolt on the front in the centre of the idler pulley is the 'lock nut' and the other bolt behind the pulley is the adjustment. you loosen the 'lock nut' then adjust the belt tension and then tighten the 'lock nut' up again.

I would recommend giving the thread on the adjustment bolt a good soak in WD-40 or similar too.

I also searched for and bought a belt tightening tool.
Absolutely useless for the alternator belt. Too much stuff in the way.

similar to this tool
upload_2017-4-12_10-6-44.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom